Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Shonn's physical characteristics remind me of Kawhi Leonard...he has a long reach. I really loved the extension on the hook shot in the lane and the thread-the-needle, high-to-low bounce pass in traffice. He is very talented and the potential to get much better.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how much he improves in the off season. If he can master the 15-18 foot jumper, pick and pop, pick and roll, boxing out, and add 5+ lbs, then he has a good chance at being 1st team AAC.

Reaction Score
It looks like he plays very similar to Hamilton, and if that's the case he won't get as many minutes people are anticipating on here. Plus I think if Facey puts on weight and works on his game a ton, he'll be better than Miller from the get-go. Especially if Facey plays like he did Nov. - Dec. last year. Kid is good though, but he never played anyone. Tough to judge.

C'mon I need to know where your dealer is because that has to be some really good ?:eek:

Reaction Score
We won't know until November!

Facey's game and improvement will have little to do with his weight gain. His basketball instincts are what need to improve on both ends of the floor. I already saw Miller in highlights alone put in the floor more than Facey did all year too. I hate to say but his improvement, especially on the defensive end where he was close to awful, will need it be dramatic to keep Miller on or near the bench. What Miller brings to the team on that end alone will help to improve this team in a big way, plain basketball smarts.

I hope he improves a ton we'll be that much better!

Reaction Score
I like a ton about Miller's game too but as of now I completely disagree that his 3 point shooting will improve with better shot selection. The shots from those 3 games were fine. He simply missed and missed consistently. Unless his shooting improves dramatically, 3 pointers do not need to be part a part of his game especially on this squad.

As for the comparison to Hamilton and looking like a 3 instead of a 4... I don't think that's far fetched at all. Fortunately they both rebound at such a high rate that they can be on the floor at the same time. The biggest difference between the two based on the video is Hamilton is a superior shooter (and potentially ball handler) and Miller is more explosive around the rim.

What I am really excited to see is what Miller can do in the pick and roll especially with Gibbs or Hamilton. While I'm hesitant to see Miller pick and pop from beyond 18 feet, I really want to see what he do with a head of steam rolling to the hoop or with the dribble instead of taking the pick and pop.

Reaction Score
It looks like he plays very similar to Hamilton, and if that's the case he won't get as many minutes people are anticipating on here. Plus I think if Facey puts on weight and works on his game a ton, he'll be better than Miller from the get-go. Especially if Facey plays like he did Nov. - Dec. last year. Kid is good though, but he never played anyone. Tough to judge.
Sorry but this post is just so off. First off he brings rebounding with a bigger frame. He also can block shots which KF barely does. He can also play on the outside and not clog the lane which is essential for us with AB down low.

Reaction Score
Thanks for taking the time to put together such a well thought out post. It was enjoyable to read. The Miller/Gibbs additions were game changing beyond measure. JMHO.

Thank you. Honestly, for the most part i think people agree about a lot of conversations, but twitter syndrome means they try to make the point as quick as possible instead of covering all the angles. A lot of times i don't post as much as I could because people seem to dislike the longer posts but in all my writing i go by the mantra "write like your explaining it to an alien" so there is no confusion. Unfortunately, the posts end up long because like one of my professors said, "I did not have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one" or in my case, I am not a good enough writer yet to make those

Reaction Score

There is no chance Facey gets more minutes than him. Yes Facey can rebound, but Miller has a much more complete game and even if he cant shoot a single 3, his ability to get past bigger defenders from the outside means he will open the offense up tremendously. Additionally, Facey was terrible on D and Miller should be a vast improvement, especially as he goes from the only rim protector to the second option on D looking to stop his man and clean the glass. The bottom line is he is just a better all around player, has more experience and is built as a better compliment to Brimah.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Another skill that looks quite promising is his ability, when catching the ball on the perimeter, to drive the gap in the zone with one or two quick dribbles, causing the defense to collapse, and then throw a perfect pass to an open teammate who is ready to take the three.

Reaction Score
In Shonn Miller ...

I see a big improvement in our Zone offense. He has the skillset to play interior in our set. We will be much better as he will team with Daniel Hamilton and Amida Brimah to absolutely eat up any Zones we see. I see a High Basketball IQ - higher than Facey, Brimah, Nolan, Lubin. He knows his box out roles and goes to the ball with hunger on rebounds. (might be fighting Hamilton some) I saw a Shonn Miller that did try too much for a Cormell offense that had little other weapons against a high-major South Carolina or Syracuse. He forced. But, if he learns to play in our framework - with good guard play from Gibbs, Adams, Purvis - we will be better. Defensively, he is just solid. He blocks some; he knows positioning; he hedges.

Reaction Score
kinda reminds me of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel a lil
Now this is a stretch. He is more atheletic and is more of a presence down low on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He can block shots and make strong dunks which Jamal Coombs-McDaniel could never dream about. He will make an impact next year were we need him to as a rebounder and a guy who can stretch the defense while being an inside defender.
I agree with another poster and just stop the comparisons as they are becoming ludicrous.

Reaction Score
I can't believe all of you saying "don't shoot 3's".

We just won a championship two years ago because we had a 4 who kept the defense honest from deep and opened up driving lanes for our guards. You park a guy like Miller in the paint alongside another lane-clogger like Brimah, you waste his talent and bog down the offense. Miller will excel in the pick-and-pop game and be a better presence on the glass than DD was (though his overall game probably isn't as good).

Like Larrier, Miller's problem was shot selection. In Larrier's case, it was because they ran a frenetic offense. In Miller's case, it was because he was the offense. In our system, Miller won't have to take off-the-dribble, pull-up 3's. The ones he takes will be spot up.
It appears that the 3 pt. line is a bit out of his range and defenders will give him that shot if he wants it. He'll be a lot more selective with more scoring talent around him. Miller looks to be very quick off the dribble and having an athletic 4 who can penetrate is going to be a big asset for us.

Reaction Score
It appears that the 3 pt. line is a bit out of his range and defenders will give him that shot if he wants it. He'll be a lot more selective with more scoring talent around him. Miller looks to be very quick off the dribble and having an athletic 4 who can penetrate is going to be a big asset for us.

Lot's of KFree in his game with his athleticism, rebounding and strength on defense. Not saying he is but those pieces were all something missing last year for the most part.

Reaction Score
Another skill that looks quite promising is his ability, when catching the ball on the perimeter, to drive the gap in the zone with one or two quick dribbles, causing the defense to collapse, and then throw a perfect pass to an open teammate who is ready to take the three.
You nailed it. Having someone like that can destroy a zone. Not many players are smart enough or disciplined enough to do it well. Most kids are focused on either launching a three or driving to the rim. That's great if you don't want ball movement in your offense. Sadly, what you described is not valued in today's game. Even the players that get those passes for wide open shots are often too stupid to appreciate it.

This kid will be very good for this team. He will be the much needed "coach on the floor".

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
You nailed it. Having someone like that can destroy a zone. Not many players are smart enough or disciplined enough to do it well. Most kids are focused on either launching a three or driving to the rim. That's great if you don't want ball movement in your offense. Sadly, what you described is not valued in today's game. Even the players that get those passes for wide open shots are often too stupid to appreciate it.

This kid will be very good for this team. He will be the much needed "coach on the floor".
It's definitely still in the game today, it's just harder for it to happen when you have a scoring point guard, a struggling SG relying on athleticism, a PF that lacks confidence and a center who always shoots once he has the ball in the paint. Not every school is 2014-15 UConn, though. Wichita State and UVA both moved the ball around great when playing their best ball last year. Really fluid when they had it going (although Virginia lost some of that when Anderson went down).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom