Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know but we need him to be a presence inside. We haven't had that since who a friend? AO? He can face up but imo stay inside the three.
No one is saying that he should live beyond the three point line but you also don't want to force a square peg into a round hole. We've had a lot of success in the past with a 4 who can drag a big man outside and open up the lane. That doesn't mean he won't also work from in the paint but you're painting a picture that it's one or the other and we don't need anything from him outside. That's part of his game though and can be hugely beneficial to this team if it's utilized in the right ways.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So many cool little details flashed in these highlights. The beautiful slip screen off ball, the high low bounce pass. Multiple mid air adjustments around the rim. Quick, tight extra passes on the perimeter. Even helping opponents off the deck. Miller is more Niels than Deandre without the J. Looks like hes going to make everyone around him better.

Reaction Score
This guy is like the missing link for us right where we need him, inside. Great driving and handle, seeks contact on those drives with his toughness. He's not DD, way more muscular and inside player. We now have enough outside shooters to jack 3's, so why would we waste Miller out there when he can actually do what's more important inside, scoring, defending, rebounding and getting fouled? No problem with him shooting from 17 feet ( he should be honing that this summer) like a Charles Oakley but KO will show him how he can help us get where we want to go. BTW thanks tcf.

Reaction Score
This guy is like the missing link for us right where we need him, inside. Great driving and handle, seeks contact on those drives with his toughness. He's not DD, way more muscular and inside player. We now have enough outside shooters to jack 3's, so why would we waste Miller out there when he can actually do what's more important inside, scoring, defending, rebounding and getting fouled? No problem with him shooting from 17 feet ( he should be honing that this summer) like a Charles Oakley but KO will show him how he can help us get where we want to go. BTW thanks tcf.
If you watch the videos you notice he never posts up. He has a better handle than DD so I expect him to play more perimeter. He would also be a great player to play at the top of the key and either take open jump shots or pass it inside to AB. He can definitely rebound inside and get junk baskets but don't expect him to spend too much time inside the paint based off his strengths(athletic and good handle).

caw

Reaction Score
Seen a lot of comparisons to Daniels, but honestly, KFree?

Reaction Score
House about this for toughness taking it to the rack? Miller and Rodney. Adams might also make that list.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He offers so much that we need
Rebounding
A bigger/stronger body inside
Offense from the 4 spot
Passing in out front court
Maturity
And will add to our blocking ability.
What's not to like? He won't shoot 3's like that here.

Reaction Score
This really doesn't seem as complicated as it's made out to be, nor as contentious, so i'll throw in my 500 words and EVERYONE WILL AGREE, YAY....

He was the offense at Cornell and as such was probably forced to take shots that most would consider ill advised (contested) and will not be taking at UConn. First off all, he is clearly a good rebounder with a nose for the ball and by all accounts a solid defender. Just those attributes will make him an improvement over our 4's from last year even without the 2" that Facey has on him. Pair him with Brimah and you have two excellent defenders and will make Brimah better in a number of ways mainly-a) he will be in better position all over the court meaning Brimah will not have to be the hero as often and b) when someone does get beat and AB goes for the block, Miller-presumably-will be focused on boxing out and grabbing the rebound c) with his dribble he should be able to take the ball off the rim and start the break even if it is only 1-2 dribbles. With him and Hamilton both capable of crashing the boards and dribbling, one guard can leak out and we can play at a bit faster pace. Again, if he contributes nothing on O, his presence should add maybe 4 ppg net due to improvements on D and the boards.

On the other side of the ball I think we can be sure he will be an improvement, how much so is yet to be determined. His handle is tight, especially for someone who plays big as he does, he shows a knack for finishing around the rim through/around contact and he looks to dunk everything, which is good (also something i noticed in Diarra-seems much more aggressive than other bigs we've brought in, but i digress). I doubt he plays as a traditional back to the basket 4 man, but against smaller opponents I am confident he will take advantage of a mismatch inside. Instead, as it was postulated before, I think he spends a lot of time on the perimeter, opening up driving lanes or being the pick in a PnR. If teams ignore him, he will have a green light to let it fly from 3, but more often than not, he should be able to catch a big man in his closeout and get into the lane (from there it seems he looks to the rim but he definitely showed an ability to pass, I just don't know if he can do so off the dribble).

The bottom line is that he knows he was brought here because we sorely lack a 4 who can defend and rebound. Having him and Brimah should ensure an excellent defensive combo at the 4-5 and on offense he literally does not have to force anything. I mean defenders have to stick to Gibbs like glue or he will make it rain from 3: Hamilton will be a constant mismatch and should play a much more streamlined game as a soph, meaning quicker decisions and more controlled play; Purvis seemed to realize in March that he can over power anyone to the rim as long as he isn't trying to iso after 3 dribbles and instead makes his move as soon as he catches and teams cannot slag off AB or they will pay in the form of constant dunks. Even Adams off the bench will probably take more focus from the D than Miller will, which means that all Miller has to do is keep the D honest. If teams want to stop our other options and leave him, I am confident he will make them pay, and we have at least 2 guys (gibbs/dham) who can get their shot off 1-1 whenever they want. It will take a great deal of practice for this team to really get its chemistry right and last years team never seemed capable, but if that happens, I legit see a top 10 team with the potential to rack up 28 wins (maybe not with the schedule), before the tourney starts.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Boy, an offseason practicing with Kevin Ollie, Glen Miller, Brimah, possibly Drummond+ already 4 years of college experience is exciting. Pressure will be taken off of him to score. He'll just be plopped in the paint and be forced to do the necessary dirty work. Such a perfect complement to this team if he stays healthy.

Reaction Score
I think Enoch is going to be better than we think, but that playing with someone like Miller is going to help toughen him a bit, and make him much better during the latter part of his rookie season. But, wow, as far as transfers go - this class is way, way up there. How many teams have ever picked up two guys like Gibbs and Miller in the same offseason?

Team will be super deep, now I'm just wondering if the guys who don't get PT remain team players.

Reaction Score
Similar to the Terry Larrier thread I posted last week, there were only three available games of Shonn Miller playing for Cornell on espn3: South Carolina, Syracuse & Buffalo, all top 100 teams per KenPom.

Great stuff....thanks. :)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It looks like he plays very similar to Hamilton, and if that's the case he won't get as many minutes people are anticipating on here. Plus I think if Facey puts on weight and works on his game a ton, he'll be better than Miller from the get-go. Especially if Facey plays like he did Nov. - Dec. last year. Kid is good though, but he never played anyone. Tough to judge.

Reaction Score
It looks like he plays very similar to Hamilton, and if that's the case he won't get as many minutes people are anticipating on here. Plus I think if Facey puts on weight and works on his game a ton, he'll be better than Miller from the get-go. Especially if Facey plays like he did Nov. - Dec. last year. Kid is good though, but he never played anyone. Tough to judge.

7f15d8eff5246f52b429f1f9fa74-confused-jackie-chan.jpg

Reaction Score

I'm not sure which sentence is the most wrong here.

Reaction Score
"He'll be better than Miller from the get go". Wow. KFace would have to put on his Batman suit.

Reaction Score
This really doesn't seem as complicated as it's made out to be, nor as contentious, so i'll throw in my 500 words and EVERYONE WILL AGREE, YAY....

He was the offense at Cornell and as such was probably forced to take shots that most would consider ill advised (contested) and will not be taking at UConn. First off all, he is clearly a good rebounder with a nose for the ball and by all accounts a solid defender. Just those attributes will make him an improvement over our 4's from last year even without the 2" that Facey has on him. Pair him with Brimah and you have two excellent defenders and will make Brimah better in a number of ways mainly-a) he will be in better position all over the court meaning Brimah will not have to be the hero as often and b) when someone does get beat and AB goes for the block, Miller-presumably-will be focused on boxing out and grabbing the rebound c) with his dribble he should be able to take the ball off the rim and start the break even if it is only 1-2 dribbles. With him and Hamilton both capable of crashing the boards and dribbling, one guard can leak out and we can play at a bit faster pace. Again, if he contributes nothing on O, his presence should add maybe 4 ppg net due to improvements on D and the boards.

On the other side of the ball I think we can be sure he will be an improvement, how much so is yet to be determined. His handle is tight, especially for someone who plays big as he does, he shows a knack for finishing around the rim through/around contact and he looks to dunk everything, which is good (also something i noticed in Diarra-seems much more aggressive than other bigs we've brought in, but i digress). I doubt he plays as a traditional back to the basket 4 man, but against smaller opponents I am confident he will take advantage of a mismatch inside. Instead, as it was postulated before, I think he spends a lot of time on the perimeter, opening up driving lanes or being the pick in a PnR. If teams ignore him, he will have a green light to let it fly from 3, but more often than not, he should be able to catch a big man in his closeout and get into the lane (from there it seems he looks to the rim but he definitely showed an ability to pass, I just don't know if he can do so off the dribble).

The bottom line is that he knows he was brought here because we sorely lack a 4 who can defend and rebound. Having him and Brimah should ensure an excellent defensive combo at the 4-5 and on offense he literally does not have to force anything. I mean defenders have to stick to Gibbs like glue or he will make it rain from 3: Hamilton will be a constant mismatch and should play a much more streamlined game as a soph, meaning quicker decisions and more controlled play; Purvis seemed to realize in March that he can over power anyone to the rim as long as he isn't trying to iso after 3 dribbles and instead makes his move as soon as he catches and teams cannot slag off AB or they will pay in the form of constant dunks. Even Adams off the bench will probably take more focus from the D than Miller will, which means that all Miller has to do is keep the D honest. If teams want to stop our other options and leave him, I am confident he will make them pay, and we have at least 2 guys (gibbs/dham) who can get their shot off 1-1 whenever they want. It will take a great deal of practice for this team to really get its chemistry right and last years team never seemed capable, but if that happens, I legit see a top 10 team with the potential to rack up 28 wins (maybe not with the schedule), before the tourney starts.

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a well thought out post. It was enjoyable to read. The Miller/Gibbs additions were game changing beyond measure. JMHO.

Reaction Score
Miller won't be taking all those 3's with us. We need him to rebound and he looks quick enough to get position but even more important he wants to rebound. Don't know if he'll be a star but he is sure going to help.

Reaction Score
Definitely want him as the pick man on the perimeter. Allows Brimah to stay on the weak side baseline where he has done a lot of damage as the play develops

Dude hit all his FTs too, at least in these 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky