Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fair enough. but I just cant see the AD over there hiring an assistant coach.

They and the NCAA have been so far up each other's butt for so long, you are probably right. Maybe they can pursuade JPM it is time for another move.

Reaction Score
Unquestionably Hatchell for at least a decade and probably more ran a methodically crooked program with systemic scholarship/academic cheating and was complicit and lied through her teeth about it. The NCAA couldn't find a way out of its own investigation that would be less than severe for UNC, so it adopted the fiction that the violations were not in its jurisdiction after a years long "investigation." So I'm glad to see her get it in the neck. The efficient cause is a sad statement, but hardly a surprise.
Unfortunately the biggest perpetrators were the men's football and basketball teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It’s a sad situation no matter how you view it. I think the AD needs to stay out of the Hatchell family on this hire. I also think the hire does need HC experience with success. Going into the 15 Team ACC without prior coaching experience is too extreme regardless of your pedigree. I would look after Lisa Fortier from Gonzaga first and foremost. I would stop with the “retread hires” like what Georgia Tech did or anyone else who has not been coaching in the past few years. Balcomb is an interesting option if you want P5 experience and someone widely respected as @CocoHusky noted, as she has stayed in coaching after having good runs at Xavier and Vanderbilt. And of course there’s always Holly Warlick who is now available. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maybe I am just not sensitive enough to words because number 2 would concern me a lot more. stupid remarks may hurt but trying to get a player to return from an injury before that player is medically ready can do more damage than any words. If 2 is true then I am glad she is gone.
Well, #1 can absolutely wreck a player's ability to perform, and totally disrupt team chemistry. Her resignation is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith feels like a slam dunk

Shea always seemed like an option given that her Mom was a star there, and she grew up in-state.
If not Shea, then a smart choice: Jennie Baranczyk

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sometimes it takes a while for problems to be exposed, as it did with Rene Portland.

They kept Portland on the payroll for years after her homophobic comments.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Voepel with a measured article.

With Sylvia Hatchell out, what's next for North Carolina?

Tar Heels players such as Ivory Latta and Erlana Larkins -- both of whom, like Smith, played in the WNBA -- strongly supported Hatchell in a television interview by WRAL on April 8 in the wake of the allegations against her. Latta and Larkins credited Hatchell with motivating them to reach the level they did, and they dismissed allegations of racism against her. At the same time, they referred to today's players as "different," and said they weren't trying to invalidate their experiences.

And that's an inescapable part of this: Everyone seems to believe there is a generational gap in what is perceived as "tough" and "abusive" behavior from a coach. Although just how wide the gap is, and what ages are on which side, are both subject for debate.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Very interesting to hear the comments of former UNC greats Ivory Latta and Erlana Larkins:

Former players laugh at suggestion that Sylvia Hatchell made racist comments :: WRALSportsFan.com
Plebe, thanks for sharing this. Really, really revealing interviews. Definitely put some of the allegations against Hatchell and the medical staff into context, as well as the challenges coaches face today in general.

Both Latta and Larkins are similar in age to me, and I share much of their views about the entitlement of people in their teens and early 20s. There's a tendency for older people to characterize "millennials" as all being of the same stripe, but I really do think there is a difference between young people in their late teens and early 20s and those of us in our early to mid-30s - most of my friends, at least, have set a beliefs much closer to those of our parents than those of our younger siblings/cousins in terms of entitled attitudes, value of hard work, sucking it up and being a team player, not succumbing to a victim mentality, etc. The attitudes of college students today are a world apart from those my friends and I had barely a decade ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom