Shocked by the SID news | The Boneyard

Shocked by the SID news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But actually very impressed.

Phil Chardis is taking over in two weeks.

That's an inspired choice.

Reaction Score
I'm a bad fan. I don't know what a SID is, I've never heard of this guy Chardis, and I'm way too lazy to find out. Can he dunk?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chardis can't dunk. Sid can.

Not sure why they think he can replace him.

Reaction Score
Yes i saw this earlier tonight. Will Chardis still be allowed to write for the Manchester paper now that he has this job?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ah, no.

This is a full-time gig.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
SID is very to close to an STD. The only difference is the line going across the top of the middle letter.

In collegiate athletics a SID is the Sports Information Director.

Agree with Fishy, an odd choice. Chardis has been at the JI for forever. Good thing is the guy most likely has one heckuva rolodex with contacts and generally seems like a nice guy.

Reaction Score
This is a huge move for Chardis. With newspapers a dying breed, he got out and landed squarely on his feet. Good for him.

He has always been a great UConn journalist and supporter. He is arguably the best the UConn beat has ever seen and he has always done so with class and dignity. Very interesting and inspired hire by UConn. Very cool.

Reaction Score
Interesting. If JH was still in charge this never would have happened.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Well..I like it.

Of utter irrelevance but anyway: Several years ago I was on a flight to Florida from Bradley early one morn in the winter. My seatmate turned out to be Phil Chardis...headed to Atlanta to cover a UConn/Georgia Tech game.
He could not have been friendlier...willing to chat up UConn hoops with a stranger.

Congratulations...hope the move is a great one for UConn and for Phil.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
SID is very to close to an STD. The only difference is the line going across the top of the middle letter.

Nice. In the old days, the thread would have gone five pages before someone wrote the real answer. Great start, but you are getting soft in your old age.

It is an great choice, although it is a shame to lose a good reporter.

Reaction Score
What a great opportunity for Phil. Boy am I going to miss his articles. He provided the most in depth articles among all the Hord.

The guy is truly a leader. I was covering doug wiggins signing at east hartford high school and all the beat writers were standing around him hanging on every one of his words.

What might be interesting moving forward are the relationship he had with the other writers now that he's a member of the athletic department and no longer one of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Inspired is a good description. I'll miss him as a writer, he always seemed to have the best handle on the team of all the horde members. He'll do a great job for UConn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice. In the old days, the thread would have gone five pages before someone wrote the real answer. Great start, but you are getting soft in your old age.

It is an great choice, although it is a shame to lose a good reporter.

Alright, here's a true story. A good, light reading for a Saturday morning.

About a week and a half ago the wife and I loaded up the kids for a Thurday night Christmas Caroling Concert at a city park called Seville Square. We loaded up the truck with the wagon, blankets, some snacks, etc.

Along the drive to the park our 8 year old dughter looks up at a billboard and says "Did that sign say Seville?".

My wife goes, I don't know how was it spelled?

My daughter says S-Y-P-H-I-L-I-S. She has a very good, photographic memory.

I start cracking up and, the wife in shock, says WHAT?!

While we are figuring out what to do, our daughter is in the back seat trying her best to sound it out.

S, S, Syph, Syph, Syphil, etc, etc.

Wife looks over at me and I said, you're the nurse, you got it.

Mom spent the next five minutes trying to explain STD's to our daughter and 9 year old son.

Now you may ask yourself why there was a billboard with syphilis written on it. Turns out cases of ole sid have been on the rise the past two years here and the county health dept thinks billboards is a good way to get the word out to get tested, get treated and use protection.

True story.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what he does -- especially if papers are a "dying breed." Doesn't matter if he's a great writer or has a super rolodex. SID's job is to get the word out, shape the story, and protect while promoting, the product. Using traditional AND new media. Totally different gig.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Amazing how much Twitter has shaped this type position. Muncy was Great on it, often throwing Jabs at Goodman and the like. I thought he was joking when he said a Horde member was joining the University, but apparently via twitter, Muncy is moving into Licensing & Branding. Here's hoping the info continues to flow accurately n positively.

Reaction Score
Kyle is taking over the licensing role that Tim Tolokan used to have.
Everybody wins. We get to keep Muncy and get a breath of fresh air in the SID role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom