Shift expectations to a championship team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shift expectations to a championship team

Reaction Score
I’m so impressed with the jump we took this year.
First off incredible props to Brendan ADAMS and Josh Carlton for making substantial progress in the off season. HUGE props to Danny H for being able to identify incredibly talented young players and get them here.
We have upperclassmen guards who will be big factors as the season goes on. I think we have a go to scorer in Bouknight which is something every good team needs.
As long as we work hard on defense — look hard to find a good or better shot in each possession I feel real good against anyone and ultimately that’s all u can ask for.
I don't know what's happening but I just agreed with every point in a Scrappy post

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
I’ll just say nobody out there is that scary...Grab a bid and let’s get to it. We got Akok & Bouk

Reaction Score
I have been telling my wife and all my friends that I see we have the ingredients to get us a ship this year. Still some progress to go but we are def heading in the right direction. All of our players are starting to understand their job/duties on the team and are achieving their goals slowly. Prouder than ever to be a Husky:)

Reaction Score
The way they have played so far, I can see them getting to 20 wins and making the Big Dance. But... Vital and especially Gilbert need to score more. Between the two they need to pump in at least 30 points per game if this team wants to advance past the first game in the tourney. Also, keep in mind that UConn has a target on it's back in the AAC. They are leaving and everyone staying will want to give them a beating as a parting gift. If Gilbert can survive the conference schedule healthy it will be a miracle. But the team seems to have enough depth that if one of the starters is sidelined others may be able to step in. A versatile bunch for sure they should be able to create enough match up problems so that they finish top four in the league and escape that first conference playoff game. If they make it to the conference championship final game they just may make a 8 seed in the March Madness tourney. I say that because they've already lost twice and they haven't seen the best on their schedule yet. If they go on a tare and win the conference tourney look for a top 25 ranking and a possible 3 seed.

With fingers crossed that the team stays healthy,
Go Huskies!!
I think Vital and Gilbert do not have to score 30ppg. Bouknight and Gaffney on the floor definitely take the pressure off of Vital and Gilbert to produce. Carleton, Akok, and Sid or Polley in the front court. If Hurley wants to go with Gaffney and two other big guards he can, take out one of the front court guys and put in Adams.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We shouldve easily beat Xavier who I think is a top ten team. I think it was OBVIOUS we were better. I’ve seen all the teams and there is no one and I mean no one that stands away from the crowd
I live our defensive potential—- I think we are just touching the surface on our offense.
We have all the ingredients Size speed length talent depth heart.
I think Dh will find rotations that create the best possible chemistry And this is not a team that will suffer w foul trouble.
So why not us?
Scrappy - happy Thanksgiving for your optimism but X is not a top 10 team. Maybe on D but not on O

Reaction Score
We shouldve easily beat Xavier who I think is a top ten team. I think it was OBVIOUS we were better. I’ve seen all the teams and there is no one and I mean no one that stands away from the crowd
I live our defensive potential—- I think we are just touching the surface on our offense.
I think Dh will find rotations that create the best possible chemistry And this is not a team that will suffer w foul trouble.
So why not us?

I agree with you that this year is wide open and as long as we get into the NCAA tournament we have as good a chance as anyone. Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. Duke to SFA. There is no dominant team. We have enough talent to compete and win against anybody.

PS: A lot depends on the growth and progress of Bouknight and Akok. We definitely should raise our expectations as a fan-base. We have enough pieces.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that this year is wide open and as long as we get into the NCAA tournament we have as good a chance as anyone. Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. Duke to SFA. There is no dominant team. We have enough talent to compete and win against anybody.

PS: A lot depends on the growth and progress of Bouknight and Akok. We definitely should raise our expectations as a fan-base. We have enough pieces.
I 100% agree. I wouldn’t predict a deep run or even a tournament birth. But if we don’t achieve those things it won’t be because we ran into a far superior team. This yr should be fun for any team that is decent. We all have a shot

Reaction Score
No less than a three-peat.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Props for noting that comparative foul totals were favorable throughout last weekend. Living the defensive potential!

Regular season champs, conference tourney champs, national champs

Getting the triple crown this year

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't think they need to score more at all. I want Carlton to score more because he does consistently what he's capable of doing in spurts. I want Akok to score more as he gains confidence and the staff gains confidence in him. I want Bouknight to score more as his minutes and shots go up.
Vitale is already scoring 15 a game, which is appropropiate for his game. If Gilbert's scoring doesn't go up at all I'm fine. I'd like him to shoot better, but that becomes less of an issue the less he shoots.
Please let me explain my key comment regarding Al & Vital. "They need to take fewer shots and make a higher percentage. The opportunity for shots is going to diminish at Bouk begins to take a more dominant role."
There are a limited number of shots in any single game. The number varies and is determined by factors like pace, turnovers, Offensive rebounds, etc.. Some of the shots Al & Vital are taking are going to have to go to Bouk because of his superior offensive capabilities. Therefore in order for the two to maintain there current scoring rate, the will have to score at a higher efficiency. Hence, they take fewer shots and make a higher percentage. The underlying theme, is that the duo must take better shots and refrain from high risk, low reward maneuvers.

But I do think your deduction that it is good for Carlton and Akok to score more. Carlton simply by being more forcefull close to the rim and making a higher percentage. Akok will have to work for his shot and demand the ball when in his scoring zone. Something he seems hesitant to do at the point in his career

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think Vital and Gilbert do not have to score 30ppg. Bouknight and Gaffney on the floor definitely take the pressure off of Vital and Gilbert to produce. Carleton, Akok, and Sid or Polley in the front court. If Hurley wants to go with Gaffney and two other big guards he can, take out one of the front court guys and put in Adams.
Agreed. What I think you're saying is our focus needs to change from individual scoring to positional scoring. This is specially important when DH runs out 10 guys during a game. By Positional scoring, We don't for need Al & Vital to score 30. But we would like our guards (Al, Vital, Adams, Gaffney) to account for at least 30 points. This takes the pressure off individuals to reach a certain performance of points. For example recently we got most of our guard position points from Adams. I would also like to get 30 points from our wings (Polly, Akok, Bouk, Sid) and 20 points from our posts (Carlton, Whalley). That gets us to my personal rule of thumb, score 80 and you've got a good shot to win (typically, I mean it is a rule of thumb). It is a team game and this keeps the focus on the team aspect.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How many championship teams started out 4-2, with an ugly loss at home?

Reaction Score
Just living in the moment right now ask me again in March or at least February. Yes there are no dominant teams so well see what happens.

pj

Reaction Score
How many championship teams started out 4-2, with an ugly loss at home?

None. But it's not uncommon for tournament teams do that, one year before their championship year.

Next year is shaping up well. Senior old-school Carlton and the long rim-protecting Javonte Brown Ferguson is a great double look at center, with Whaley for a third change of pace. Akok and Springs at PF, with Sid Wilson there when they go small, again three different looks. Bouk, Polley, and Andre Jackson at SF. Bouk and BAdams at guard. Gaffney and Cole at PG. It's a quality lineup. Could use one more guard to round out the team. But Gaffney, Bouk, Andre, Akok, and Javonte Brown Ferguson all have NBA potential. That's a lineup that could do some damage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Give us old guys a break. When you are old enough to remember Jim A. I think phonetic spelling is a given.
I remember Jim very well, he was a UConn legend. Jim was highly recruited and UConn was lucky to have him. Jim, Tony Hanson, Jeff Carr, Randy LaVigne. Jim also played with Corny and Mike his last two years. Just trying to respect the guys name, nothing personal. If I'm not older than you are, I'm right behind you. I know Calhoun put UConn on the map, but those mid and late 70's teams with Abromaitis, Tony Hanson, Corny and Mike helped as well, at least with the Big East invite.

Reaction Score
This is not a championship team but each team has a few head scratching losses. We've had our share in the past 4 years. I clearly remember the Caron Butler's '01 team losing to St. Bonaventure and lost a tough game vs Oklahoma 2 games later. All part of the growing process that you can't expect to show up and win. I'm sure the kids learned from that one.

Reaction Score
So why not us?
LOL!!! Our FT shooting were terrible!!! Games were won or lost based on FT!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Legendary poster back in the day. Rutgers fan. He used to come on the board, and, in all seriousness, put forth case why Rutgers would win the big East. For example, he compared Felipe Lopez to a young Michael Jordan...and was not exaggerating his take.

RutgersAl posts were a signal that basketball was here, and it was going to be a good season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom