Sherri Coale Retires from Coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sherri Coale Retires from Coaching

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I went to school at OU (before 1990). If we had a women's basketball team I didn't know it. Only 3 things mattered at OU:

1) Football
2) Beating Texas in football
3) National championship in football

View attachment 65934
Maybe to you back then. These days, OU pays its women's softball head coach $1.2 million (highest in the nation by a mile).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sherri Coale has been a regular on Vowelguy's Annual "Coaches on the Hot Seat" so often that it seemed she was getting nominated as often as Peter O'Toole or Diane Warren for Oscars (without winning).

However, she got to resign and go out on her own accord, which is good considering she always seemed to be a fine person and coached (more than) a lick for most of her time there. Enjoy the next stage, Sherri.

Oklahoma at least got to .500 this year, but they've got more than a ways to go in the Big 12. Not only is Baylor there, but so is Texas. And they just hired Vic Schaefer with a big "tada!"

I saw Tina Langley's name mentioned and it could be a good time for her to move on with Nancy Mulkey graduating. However, she's worked at a private school for a bit and has that Maryland coaching tree before that. For some reason, I think she'd be a great fit at UVA, if and when that opens up.

Jennie Baranczyk keeps being mentioned in these threads as a possible person to "move up" to the P5. I've read a few places that she's interested in Iowa if and when Lisa Bluder retires, but I can't see Bluder going anywhere whle Caitlin Clark is on campus. So, Oklahoma? She could recruit her neck of the woods for Oklahoma.

Or, is Aaron Johnston ready to go from the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State to the Sooners? Gosh knows he'd bring an exciting brand of ball.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think OU was on the first 4 out list. I wonder if she may have stayed if they got in and made a little noise.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think she was encouraged to retire? $1.3 million is a lot to pay for sub .500 basketball over the last 5 years, and the recruiting hasn't been good lately. I'm glad she was allowed to go out on her terms - I think she earned that.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Gonzaga's head coach is doing a great job; they could be a candidate, as well.

Reaction Score
Adia Barnes, IMO. Maybe even Oregon's Kelly Graves. Maybe even UCLA's Cori Close.

OU has been paying Sherri over $1 million for a very long time; they are more than capable of paying the next head coach $1.5 million or more.
That salary might lure Barnes out of Tucson although given her deep roots with the kitties and the success she's had over the last two seasons and her incoming class I'm not sure if the dollars would pry her loose.

Reaction Score

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Wow! This was unexpected. The way Oklahoma finished the season, I thought Coale would be in store for a much more successful season next year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Actually if they paid him enough, with the way he can recruit, he might be the guy to knock Kim off her perch.

I don't see it. He's from Kentucky and makes bank at Louisville already. I also think he's overrated as a recruiter. He's a notoriously aggressive recruiter, but while he offers 20+ kids most year, he typically only lands a top 10 kid every other year or so and close to half of his players transfer out. Compare that to Kim who almost always has a roster littered with kids ranked in the top 10 or top 20, and she's recruited tremendously in the transfer portal the last 3 off seasons, bringing in Cooper, Chloe Jackson and now Carrington. I'd put my money on Vic at Texas dethroning Mulkey before Walz if he took the Oklahoma job.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That salary might lure Barnes out of Tucson although given her deep roots with the kitties and the success she's had over the last two seasons and her incoming class I'm not sure if the dollars would pry her loose.
If her heart is in Tucson, then a higher salary would not be all that enticing. If it is enough, the recruiting class she signed can easily request a release from their LOI's, and follow her wherever she goes and still be eligible immediately (just like DeYona Gaston being released from her LOI by Miss. State and being eligible immediately at Texas). And, with the transfer portal in place, any current 'Cats could follow her, as well, and most likely be eligible immediately, too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yup - times change. BTW the softball coach's salary, Cheri's $1.33 million, etc., are possible because of football. OU's pre-COVID 3-year average football revenue was $129 million per year (ranking 6th behind Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State). OU pays their defensive coordinator $1.8 million.

They sure ain't getting their return on that investment ? Though I guess they have the best defense in the Big 12 (not saying that much)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
rsIf her heart is in Tucson, then a higher salary would not be all that enticing. If it is enough, the recruiting class she signed can easily request a release from their LOI's, and follow her wherever she goes and still be eligible immediately (just like DeYona Gaston being released from her LOI by Miss. State and being eligible immediately at Texas). And, with the transfer portal in place, any current 'Cats could follow her, as well, and most likely be eligible immediately, too.
I would not be shocked to see Barnes move on eventually. All the "right stuff" with the way she interacts with her team, and the media as well.

I do not think (at this time) that she is looking to leave. As others have said, she is deeply invested at Arizona - arguably the greatest player in Wildcat history (Polk and McDonald are the only other candidates). She isn't paid well, but is otherwise well supported. And deeply loved by fans, some of whom were fans in her playing days. She also did her Assistant Coaching in the PAC 12 as well, and has become close with Tara.

To be selfish, we want to keep her as long as we can.

Reaction Score
I see that Wes Moore is Texas City, maybe he would be interested in returning closer to home. He hasn’t been the best recruiter, but with what he has done at NC st, I can’t see why he couldn’t get some of that Texas talent to head over to Norman.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I see that Wes Moore is Texas City, maybe he would be interested in returning closer to home. He hasn’t been the best recruiter, but with what he has done at NC st, I can’t see why he couldn’t get some of that Texas talent to head over to Norman.
I dunno. Wes' wife is from North Carolina and they appear to be happy living in Raleigh.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I would not be shocked to see Barnes move on eventually. All the "right stuff" with the way she interacts with her team, and the media as well.

I do not think (at this time) that she is looking to leave. As others have said, she is deeply invested at Arizona - arguably the greatest player in Wildcat history (Polk and McDonald are the only other candidates). She isn't paid well, but is otherwise well supported. And deeply loved by fans, some of whom were fans in her playing days. She also did her Assistant Coaching in the PAC 12 as well, and has become close with Tara.

To be selfish, we want to keep her as long as we can.
Trust me, I don't want to see Adia in the Big 12. She seems to be very likeable, which is why she is very successful on the recruiting trail. She's still learning all the nuances of being a head coach, but her upside was a huge reason why she was my first choice for the Texas opening one year ago.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jody Wynn? :rolleyes:
Wise guy. Will be interesting to see what happens to her. Maybe a Big West or equivalent level school will give her a chance. She just couldn't recruit at the level necessary in the Pac 12.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If her heart is in Tucson, then a higher salary would not be all that enticing. If it is enough, the recruiting class she signed can easily request a release from their LOI's, and follow her wherever she goes and still be eligible immediately (just like DeYona Gaston being released from her LOI by Miss. State and being eligible immediately at Texas). And, with the transfer portal in place, any current 'Cats could follow her, as well, and most likely be eligible immediately, too.

I know Arizona is her alma mater and she's got a great thing going, but jumping from around 400k/year to realistically tripling her salary would be hard to pass up for a parent with 2 young kids.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I know Arizona is her alma mater and she's got a great thing going, but jumping from around 400k/year to realistically tripling her salary would be hard to pass up for a parent with 2 young kids.
And, her assistant coach husband would probably double his salary, as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does anyone else think she was encouraged to retire? $1.3 million is a lot to pay for sub .500 basketball over the last 5 years, and the recruiting hasn't been good lately. I'm glad she was allowed to go out on her terms - I think she earned that.
ABSOLUTELY! This was a long, slow slide down since 2012-13 when she last made the Sweet 16. Since it’s been 4 second round exits and 2 1st round exits including a record 16-15 in 2016-17 when OU should not have made the tournament as a 12 seed and lost to DePaul. Since then she’s been 8-22, 12-18, 12-12 and no higher than 6th in the Big12, add in no top recruits, Chelsea Dungee and Nancy Mulkey transfers an accusation of insensitive last summer and as @Dillon77 points out, “she was allowed to resign gracefully” though I wonder if there is a quiet buy out.

She had a great career, made lots of money and drastically under performed the past 8 years. No surprise this occurred. She will get a broadcasting gig and do well. Maybe after a few years, the coaching itch occurs and she comes back, maybe it won’t and she stays in announcing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom