Sherri Coale Retires from Coaching | The Boneyard

Sherri Coale Retires from Coaching

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I wasn't sure if this should be in the Coaching Hot Seat Thread or not. But feels worth it's own thread. If Mod's feel otherwise, feel free to add this to the Hot Seat thread.

Feels like Oklahoma believed in financially supporting their WBB program, so it could be a big time gig for the next coach.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Sherri coached Stacy Hansmeyer at Norman High in Oklahoma.
When Geno went to see her at a practice he was very impressed with Sherri's coaching
and I believe he recommended to the OU AD [he knew that guy] that Sherri be looked at seriously for the
head job which was just opening up...OU's program was a mess and I think there was some consideration for dropping it.
Sherri did a fantastic job of getting it to the national level in many years...notably the 2002 final game against UConn...a close game till Dee made an olde-fashioned 3 point play to seal it.

Reaction Score
Wow. That’s big news, wonder who they go after. Someone like Karen Aston, the Houston Coach, Langley at Rice, or some others I would imagine. One wonders whether Oklahoma can return to the days of glory.

Reaction Score
Ou is willing to Pay, Sherri was making 1.1 Million, hopefully they can go out and get a winning coach and skip the rebuilding faze. Georgia took a chance on a young coach and it’s paying off, so maybe a up and coming coach wouldn’t be so bad.

Reaction Score
In 1990 or 91 the school decided to drop women’s basketball as a sport. Can you imagine ? A major university wo WCBB!

Sheri came a few years later and built them to a power.

Last few years have been rough tho. Dungee and Mulkey transferred. Last year was a disaster. This year was a bit better, but was getting close to time for a change.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Wow. That’s big news, wonder who they go after. Someone like Karen Aston, the Houston Coach, Langley at Rice, or some others I would imagine. One wonders whether Oklahoma can return to the days of glory.
Adia Barnes, IMO. Maybe even Oregon's Kelly Graves. Maybe even UCLA's Cori Close.

OU has been paying Sherri over $1 million for a very long time; they are more than capable of paying the next head coach $1.5 million or more.

Reaction Score
Sheri is only 56 as well, still pretty young. Congrats on a great career at OU. It may have been time or close for a change. She did some good things down there. It will be weird not to see her on the sidelines next season.

Reaction Score
The last few years were tough but she had a terrific career and wish her best in whatever she does next. Coale always came across as a decent person and had some solid coaching success.

I suspect whoever OK goes after next will get a lower salary due to budgetary reasons but they may be willing to open up for a bigger name to get the program back in contention.

Reaction Score
Sad news for women's basketball. Coach Coale, like someone already stated, is a solid coach and just an all around great person. Wish her nothing but the best.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Her 1st grandchild was born just last week, and she was extremely excited about that I’m sure she’s looking forward to her next chapter in life after basketball.
That first grandchild is really special. Any of us who are grandparents know the joy of grandchildren.

Reaction Score
In 1990 or 91 the school decided to drop women’s basketball as a sport. Can you imagine ? A major university wo WCBB!

Sheri came a few years later and built them to a power.

Last few years have been rough tho. Dungee and Mulkey transferred. Last year was a disaster. This year was a bit better, but was getting close to time for a change.
I went to school at OU (before 1990). If we had a women's basketball team I didn't know it. Only 3 things mattered at OU:

1) Football
2) Beating Texas in football
3) National championship in football

1616002198572.png

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
No way Barnes is leaving her alma mater. Highly doubtful on the others as well.
We'll see. PAC 12 schools continue to have revenue issues compared to other P5 conferences; they are not going to outbid any schools who come trying to poach their head coaches (in most sports). Sherri was earning $1.33 million this season. I forget what Close, Graves, and Barnes are earning, but probably 50-60% or so of Sherri's salary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom