Sherif Kenney Visiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sherif Kenney Visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I like this strategy of only getting players that are future pros. Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?
You need more of an education than I have time for - LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You guys are being naive or most likely silly.
There are many college programs that historically do well playing a “college style” game. Years ago George Blaney did it at Holy Cross. Also on offense there are teams that don’t try to break you down off the dribble - they work it around until the open man is ultimately found open for a shot the shooter couldn’t make if it’s contested.
KO wants to play a style where the dribbler can either break the defender down off the dribble, free up for the shot off the screen or make a play off the screen. This approach takes more 1x1 talent and if the shot doesn’t go in appears to be selfish hero ball. If you have talent and the shot goes in, it seems like simple, efficient basketball. Napier thrived in the role but Adams is struggling playing consistently at that level 5 standard.

If you don’t have pro talent you have a record like we did last season.

So he wants to stick with that crappy outdated offense, which only works with elite level talent. Great. That's a prescription for success. :rolleyes: Napier and Kemba are unique talents that can thrive in that system against lesser opposition. A great coach adjusts the system to work for the players he has.

Reaction Score
So he wants to stick with that crappy outdated offense, which only works with elite level talent. Great. That's a prescription for success. :rolleyes: Napier and Kemba are unique talents that can thrive in that system against lesser opposition. A great coach adjusts the system to work for the players he has.
Especially when he can't recruit pro-talent players!

I mean I'd like to assure my offspring will be beautiful by mating w Blake Lively, but I don't think I can reel her in. Or maybe I can---the Blake strategy!!!!

C

Chief00

I know that’s not the answer many want to hear but yep. Therefore, we need talent and shooters. Chill is on the prowl.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know that’s not the answer many want to hear but yep. Therefore, we need talent and shooters. Chill is on the prowl.

It's what I suspected. Confirms my general view, dating to before he was given the job, that he belongs in the NBA. I hope he can pull it off, but I believe that the game has left that approach in the dust along with the underhand free throw.

Reaction Score
A 3&D guy would have this team clicking much better.

Reaction Score
Especially when he can't recruit pro-talent players!

I mean I'd like to assure my offspring will be beautiful by mating w Blake Lively, but I don't think I can reel her in. Or maybe I can---the Blake strategy!!!!

I think she would only be half the genetic equation, you're the other half, still may not work out:)

Reaction Score
Agree, Chill working it hard. That’s why I am more optimistic than many - looking out 2-3 years. I think we are starting to get guys who can play in KO’s pro system. Quite frankly, I don’t see KO adopting a college system, so this is our best path to success. Again, I love JCs double screens in the post to run Rip off of without the ball and some of George’s post plays - but I just don’t see KO going that route. So we need to stock up on pro potential talent.
Playing a pro style offense is not a great college game plan. In the NBA it’s a technical foul to play zone and off ball man zone. The rules are different therefore the offense run off the dribble drive is is very difficult. If Ollie can’t differentiate and coach to both his personnel and the defenses we face then he is failing as a coach. I hope he can be successful but you have to adjust and adapt. If he can’t it’s on him.

C

Chief00

Playing a pro style offense is not a great college game plan. In the NBA it’s a technical foul to play zone and off ball man zone. The rules are different therefore the offense run off the dribble drive is is very difficult. If Ollie can’t differentiate and coach to both his personnel and the defenses we face then he is failing as a coach. I hope he can be successful but you have to adjust and adapt. If he can’t it’s on him.

In fairness KO ran a pro style offense pretty well in 2014 with Bazz, Boat, Daniels and Giffey. So it can be done successfully. KO did not really have a lead recruiter until Chill came on board - so there was lots of ground to make up. I think he has done rather well the last 8 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Playing a pro style offense is not a great college game plan. In the NBA it’s a technical foul to play zone and off ball man zone. .
The NBA got rid of the illegal defense penalty 16 years ago. Teams play zone concepts all the time. You just can't camp a guy in the key as they have a defensive 3 second rule.

Reaction Score

NBA teams play zone all the time. One of the best ways to guard the PnR when the offense has a non-shooting big man is to drop back into a zone underneath. Heck, the Heat played a zone last night against the Celts.

Reaction Score
The NBA got rid of the illegal defense penalty 16 years ago. Teams play zone concepts all the time. You just can't camp a guy in the key as they have a defensive 3 second rule.
Read Shabazz article on his thoughts of KO offense. Have a good day.

Reaction Score
NBA teams play zone all the time. One of the best ways to guard the PnR when the offense has a non-shooting big man is to drop back into a zone underneath. Heck, the Heat played a zone last night against the Celts.
See Shabazz article about KO offense.

Reaction Score
See Shabazz article about KO offense.

Link? No ides what youre referring to.

And I'm not sure what you're arguing. Or are you? The play is certainly different and KO needs to adapt. But zone aint illegal and its used against good guards every nigh of the regular season. What you said is wrong. Otherwise, you're opinion seems backed up by fact

Reaction Score
Link? No ides what youre referring to.

And I'm not sure what you're arguing. Or are you? The play is certainly different and KO needs to adapt. But zone aint illegal and its used against good guards every nigh of the regular season. What you said is wrong. Otherwise, you're opinion seems backed up by fact
Sorry I’m not adapt at uploading on here. Not being argumentative just referencing Shabazz statements on how difficult it is to run Ollie offense compared to the NBA. His reason was in fact the defense rules. Yes you can double team but you can’t play zone. That’s said bottom line we need to do something offensively, run something that creates open looks and easy buckets. I don’t care what or how you do it. What we have been doing last 3 years is not working.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t like his insistence on being a point guard, but he’s a good player. If we play him at the 2 in our ‘2 PG system’ sign me up. Sick of not having true PGs as our lead guard though.

C

Chief00

It's gonna be hard to recruit elite level 3, 4 and 5 's when all they are going to do is set picks for the guards in this "pro style offense".

I hear you about the 4 and 5. We need a selling narrative and more inviting role to recruit better for these positions.

Reaction Score
I hear you about the 4 and 5. We need a selling narrative and more inviting role to recruit better for these positions.

"If you don't fumble the ball out of bounds every time you get the ball and stay out of foul trouble, you'll get a lot of playing time."

The current crop of 4s and 5s have been given and will be given every opportunity to succeed because we have no one else there.

Shonn Miller was a big part of the offense in KO's system and that wasn't that long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom