Sherif Kenney Visiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sherif Kenney Visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"If you don't fumble the ball out of bounds every time you get the ball and stay out of foul trouble, you'll get a lot of playing time."

The current crop of 4s and 5s have been given and will be given every opportunity to succeed because we have no one else there.

Shonn Miller was a big part of the offense in KO's system and that wasn't that long ago.
Took Ollie half a season to realize getting the ball to Miller in the post was an automatic basket or foul. If I’m a talented big there’s no way I’d even consider UConn with the current structure of the offense. I’ve said it time and time again, Ollie has a “system” yet doesn’t recruit to his system. He then expects his players to magically adapt to it although their strengths would be better suited in a different offense.

pj

Reaction Score
Took Ollie half a season to realize getting the ball to Miller in the post was an automatic basket or foul. If I’m a talented big there’s no way I’d even consider UConn with the current structure of the offense. I’ve said it time and time again, Ollie has a “system” yet doesn’t recruit to his system. He then expects his players to magically adapt to it although their strengths would be better suited in a different offense.

Yes. But this is a weakness that a coach can learn how to outgrow. It would be great to have a smarter coach who learns faster, but if he learns, that will be good enough. He has other strengths as a coach.

Reaction Score
It's what I suspected. Confirms my general view, dating to before he was given the job, that he belongs in the NBA. I hope he can pull it off, but I believe that the game has left that approach in the dust along with the underhand free throw.

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance. The game has left that approach in the dust with the underhand free throw. But yet you're saying he's better suited for the modern-day NBA. Which is it?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's a lot of cognitive dissonance. The game has left that approach in the dust with the underhand free throw. But yet you're saying he's better suited for the modern-day NBA. Which is it?

It can be done in the NBA, but the better coached teams, Warriors, Spurs, Celtics, are running a more sophisticated offense. The athletic talent on D in the NBA and the end of the illegal defense call have made it inefficient even there. In college it's worse, and it isn't really even viable. In theory, a team with two guards who are at that level and other capable scorers to prevent double teams, could pull it off. UConn did...twice. But there is a reason why the 2011 team didn't click as well until Lamb got going. That allowed us to kill them when they doubled Kemba. Plus those teams played great defense, so the offense only had to be adequate.

Reaction Score
It can be done in the NBA, but the better coached teams, Warriors, Spurs, Celtics, are running a more sophisticated offense. The athletic talent on D in the NBA and the end of the illegal defense call have made it inefficient even there. In college it's worse, and it isn't really even viable. In theory, a team with two guards who are at that level and other capable scorers to prevent double teams, could pull it off. UConn did...twice. But there is a reason why the 2011 team didn't click as well until Lamb got going. That allowed us to kill them when they doubled Kemba. Plus those teams played great defense, so the offense only had to be adequate.

Well, pulling it off twice is saying something. Or emphasizing defense is a good strategy too... but Kemba did quite alright outside the BE regular season. That team was undefeated outside, with or without Lamb.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, pulling it off twice is saying something. Or emphasizing defense is a good strategy too... but Kemba did quite alright outside the BE regular season. That team was undefeated outside, with or without Lamb.

He was a special player. I don't think we should build our foundation on being that lucky (to get him).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member