Shame on the offensive coordinator | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shame on the offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree his first two years he did not have the maturity but this year I disagree but no guy has been put in position to fail more - with just really bad play calling. He is the best passer of the 3 by a lot - BS is the better runner.

Shirreffs may not have as big of an arm, but he is a much better passer because he puts the requisite touch on the ball. The responsibility of the QB is to put his receivers in the best possible position to succeed, and Shirreffs does that by throwing at a proper velocity. You've said earlier that the receivers need to do a better job at catching Boyle's fireballs. That's patently false - he needs to be the one making the adjustment and taking it down a notch.

C

Chief00

Shirreffs may not have as big of an arm, but he is a much better passer because he puts the requisite touch on the ball. The responsibility of the QB is to put his receivers in the best possible position to succeed, and Shirreffs does that by throwing at a proper velocity. You've said earlier that the receivers need to do a better job at catching Boyle's fireballs. That's patently false - he needs to be the one making the adjustment and taking it down a notch.

Quite frankly, you need to better understand the speed of the game - you need velocity to having a true passing game - agree not your top fireball throw but velocity - the drops this year have been very catchable. Ironically, he over touched the interception throwing to Thomas down the sidelines. A little more power in that throw would have been 6.
Sheriff doesn't really have a passing game - he runs with the ball or dumps it off and hopes the guy runs after that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, you need to better understand the speed of the game - you need velocity to having a true passing game - agree not your top fireball throw but velocity - the drops this year have been very catchable. Ironically, he over touched the interception throwing to Thomas down the sidelines. A little more power in that throw would have been 6.
Sheriff doesn't really have a passing game - he runs with the ball or dumps it off and hopes the guy runs after that.
Then explain why we win more with Shirreffs.

Reaction Score
Boyle with 1TD and 17 INTs in his career. He missed badly on short throws last night (threw behind and over WRs). Anyone watching all year can see who is by far the better QB. Coaches track every throw during practice and they are seeing the same thing day after day.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't think the coaches did themselves proud tonight trying to have installed a new system in one week. But unless you think HCBD and Verducci told the OL it was o.k. not to run block any more, you have to be blind to think this was primarily about coaching.

We didn't look like we had any confidence/emotion left after a three game winning streak and last week's hugely emotional win and having to play without our QB. It was fairly predicticable. Again, I think the coaches struck out with their offensive plan. We in fact would have been better off being conservative for a while but let Boyle run the offense. But the level of drama some of you show ....

Wrong.

"Clearly Diaco didn't want to win the game" - Palatine

"Diaco forgot how to coach again" - Jimmy Serrano

"That game is just more proof that Boyle should have been starting the last 2 years" - Palatine

(edited 23 paragraphs or ramblings) - Carl Spackler

Reaction Score
The only games where that's been our playcalling this year were when we had a terrible backup qb playing, or when the game was in a monsoon.

There was a monsoon in Philly last night? As for the "terrible backup QB playing", then put someone else in. And . . . if that player doesn't exist on the roster then . . . well recruit better at that position and at WR.

Reaction Score
There was a monsoon in Philly last night? As for the "terrible backup QB playing", then put someone else in. And . . . if that player doesn't exist on the roster then . . . well recruit better at that position and at WR.

Struggling with reading comp again?

Reaction Score
And . . . if that player doesn't exist on the roster then . . . well recruit better at that position and at WR.

We are talking about last night. Every single post doesn't have to be a critique of the program as a whole. The program was a dumpster fire the 4 years previous to this one, nobody would deny that except Palatine. Obviously QB was one of the reasons for that. That doesn't change overnight. We have a competent starter for the first time in awhile, buidling depth takes time.

Reaction Score
Evaluating any of the "skill" positions is wasted energy as long as the O line is so ineffective. Is every other O line so much bigger, so much stronger the UConn? I have never seen such poor blocking, run or pass. Much of this has to reflect on the coaching staff.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Evaluating any of the "skill" positions is wasted energy as long as the O line is so ineffective. Is every other O line so much bigger, so much stronger the UConn? I have never seen such poor blocking, run or pass. Much of this has to reflect on the coaching staff.
They did okay versus Houston, poorly against Temple who were in the backfield faster than Arkeel could say the word "boo". Some of this may reflect on the staff and playcalling, but I suspect most of it is Temple's D operating at a higher level than Houston's (also the fact that Houston's best player was ejected for the hit on Shirrefs).

Reaction Score
They did okay versus Houston, poorly against Temple who were in the backfield faster than Arkeel could say the word "boo". Some of this may reflect on the staff and playcalling, but I suspect most of it is Temple's D operating at a higher level than Houston's (also the fact that Houston's best player was ejected for the hit on Shirrefs).

Yup... Temple's Defense is ranked 7th nationally in tackles for losses. Their front 7 is significantly better than many teams we faced this year. Bad match-up.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
But we immediately put the QB in a 2 and 10 running up the middle with 9 men in the box on first down.
No one will agree but if someone actually put in a decent passing package - he would be our best QB with some coaching we don't have.

This gets a bit technical so it might go over your head.

The line has to block to give the QB time to throw and then the QB needs to be accurate. We don't have a line that can block nor a QB (with BS out) who is accurate.

Reaction Score
Boyle in 3 years hasn't even shown a flash of running a competent offense. His highlight at UConn was last week when we ran a conservative offesne just like this. In what world is a winning strategy to let Tim Boyle air it out?

We did the same thing last week. Everyone raved about the coaching then. It's not different now, just last week we were able to get a touchdown before BS got hurt, and the defense forced 4 turnovers.

If people want to say Anderson should have gotten significant action at QB, fine. I tend to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt since they have actually seen him play, but I can at least buy the argument since Boyle is as bad as it gets. But I don't know how anyone who has watched Boyle these 3 years could have an issue with the playcalling.
Like I said, I'd rather lose trying to win, then not playing to lose. If Boyle threw 4 interceptions and lost what difference does it make, they lose either way. If he connects on a few balls downfield, maybe we hang tough. Staff killed the D and asked them to be on the field all day long. By mid -3rd Q, the D was gassed and one step slower. It was an assine game plan, and at best a half hearted effort by staff. Sorry, I can't make excuses for that pile of schit effort.

Reaction Score
Like I said, I'd rather lose trying to win, then not playing to lose. If Boyle threw 4 interceptions and lost what difference does it make, they lose either way. If he connects on a few balls downfield, maybe we hang tough. Staff killed the D and asked them to be on the field all day long. By mid -3rd Q, the D was gassed and one step slower. It was an assine game plan, and at best a half hearted effort by staff. Sorry, I can't make excuses for that pile of schit effort.

That's a meaningless cliche. We played "not to lose" last week, I liked that.

Connects on a few deep balls downfield? Has he completed one deep ball in his UConn career? Literally I'm not sure if he has. The one they tried this game was badly underthrown and intercepted.

Running the ball a lot and sticking with short passes is a gameplan designed to chew clock and keep your defense off the field. Throwing a lot with a career sub 50% completion percentage QB is not. But when you can't execute anything on offense you aren't going to stay on the field no matter what the gameplan is.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Connects on a few deep balls downfield? Has he completed one deep ball in his UConn career? Literally I'm not sure if he has. The one they tried this game was badly underthrown and intercepted.

Running the ball a lot and sticking with short passes is a gameplan designed to chew clock and keep your defense off the field. Throwing a lot with a career sub 50% completion percentage QB is not. But when you can't execute anything on offense you aren't going to stay on the field no matter what the gameplan is.
But when I pretend to be coach the QB throws it 50 yards and it's a completion every time in my imagination, therefore I am a better coach than these guys. Hire me.

Reaction Score
Wrong.

"Clearly Diaco didn't want to win the game" - Palatine

"Diaco forgot how to coach again" - Jimmy Serrano

"That game is just more proof that Boyle should have been starting the last 2 years" - Palatine

(edited 23 paragraphs or ramblings) - Carl Spackler

Well then, they must all be right and I must be wrong. Well -- I don't know if Carl is right or not. I read every word of 100 page legal opinions, including footnotes, but I can't get through half of his posts without losing focus, so I rarely know if he's right or wrong.

Reaction Score
Well then, they must all be right and I must be wrong. Well -- I don't know if Carl is right or not. I read every word of 100 page legal opinions, including footnotes, but I can't get through half of his posts without losing focus, so I rarely know if he's right or wrong.

I can understand Verducci calling for running Newsome up the middle to test the Temple D for a few downs and series, but to keep doing it and knowing our o-line cannot block for practically the whole game while showing no confidence in Boyle, how is that a good game plan? May be we do not have the talent but Verducci's play calling did not help anybody or the team.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched the tape. Wasn't so much that the O-line wasn't blocking it was more that Temple was sending more than we had to block. And we kept doing the same things over and over

sdhusky

Reaction Score

I tease Carl way more than he deserves but his heart is in the right place.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I can understand Verducci calling for running Newsome up the middle to test the Temple D for a few downs and series, but to keep doing it and knowing our o-line cannot block for practically the whole game while showing no confidence in Boyle, how is that a good game plan? May be we do not have the talent but Verducci's play calling did not help anybody or the team.

It didn't work most of the game against houston. Except when Newsome took it 60 yards.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched the tape. Wasn't so much that the O-line wasn't blocking it was more that Temple was sending more than we had to block. And we kept doing the same things over and over
Offensive line play is the reason we lost the game period! There is no push at all. The coaching staff did not and does not to prepare for an over aggressive defense . This part is on them .

Reaction Score
What was the number one Offensive mantra for BOTH Houston & Temple? And frankly, they proved its value against Houston.

Ball security.

Diaco & Verducci were fine, obviously with Shireffs or Boyle, to play conservative. Try for first downs. But don't let either Houston (who had an intimidating propensity to take the ball) or Temple (now we know the strength of their front 7) cause us to defend a short field. Shireffs down changes things. But, they found a reined in Boyle gave them opportunity ... If we were taking the ball.

At 10-0 at half, the two Headed Diaco felt great. Just needed luck.

We saw the reality. I don't think it was an awful strategy. It was part of what brought the win the week before. Clearly it all fell apart miserably. For various reasons.

Boyle? I believe Boyle best moments in a UConn uniform were his first 10 plays. He really let it fly & many of those balls looked great. Like being lucky on the first tee at Winged Foot after not playing for 5 years. Just let loose. He's been inaccurate & turnover prone from 5 minutes in to this day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Im intrigued when folks argue in the face of reality. The outcome speaks for itself and proves you're reasoning is flawed, unless you're contention is we couldn't beat Temple under any circumstance. You're ideas are premised on the faulty notion that your opponent does not anticipate and scheme based on weaknesses and strengths. Temple shut down the run because they knew we would replicate what we did the prior week. We put together a terrible, lazy minded game plan. As far as Boyle is concerned, the kid has never been put in a position to be successful. He has managed into zero self confidence, second guessing and just don't make a mistake. We were playing with house money, and played with the conservatism of a team that feared losing too badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom