Shame on the offensive coordinator | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shame on the offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't display this little faith in Boyle, then prop him up as your number two next year in 2016. They have six quarterbacks on their roster. You can't tell me Boyle's better than four of them. There's no point in having depth at all if that's the case.
I saw the look on his face when on 3rd and 10 they called a draw to Mariner. He was pissed and rightfully so. This kid had a magical moment last week against Houston, but like I said in another thread, the coaches dont trust him. If he comes back great, but if he chooses to play his final year somewhere else for playing time purposes, more power to him.

Reaction Score
I saw the look on his face when on 3rd and 10 they called a draw to Mariner. He was pissed and rightfully so. This kid had a magical moment last week against Houston, but like I said in another thread, the coaches dont trust him. If he comes back great, but if he chooses to play his final year somewhere else for playing time purposes, more power to him.

I'm not sure he'd start anywhere his senior year.

Reaction Score
Should haves stuck with their offense and trusted Boyle to make some throws. If they were looking to win they would have put the ball in the air early and stretch the field and taken some risks with an interception prone Boyle. Instead they insert an scheme with one week of practice that fell apart in 2 series. Temple was totally keyed on AK and just tee-off on obvious 3rd down pass plays.This was one large turd.

Firts have to give Temple credit. That D is nasty and our line was overmatched. But...

...the gameplan looked like a desperate crackpot idea installed at the last minute. Everybody on the board realizes Temple is the better team and this was a longshot. But we also realize Boyle needs to set up in the shotgun and find his weapons to succeed even in a limited way. It's mind boggling how this young man has been mismanaged throughout his career here. But at least they kept the run-every-first-down strategy until they were forced to surrender and actually complete a few passes. Way too little too late.

I hope Verducci had little to do with the genesis of this plan.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The staff doesn't trust Boyle and obviously must trust Anderson less. Boyle "succeeded" last week because of a very conservative plan. They tried it again today. Could they have been more creative? Maybe. Wouldn't have mattered. Doyle is not up to it. Passes often behind tte receiver. The interception was a no no on that route, can't be left short. Burning a red shirt for one game for an inexperience QB just to try and get one more win would have been stupid.

But as far as what bowl we get into 1) getting into any bowl this year is unexpected gravy and 2) big deal between getting into a game at 6-6 or 7-5 because either way it's a junior league made up bowl that we should just enjoy and hope Sherriffs can play.

Reaction Score
Should haves stuck with their offense and trusted Boyle to make some throws. If they were looking to win they would have put the ball in the air early and stretch the field and taken some risks with an interception prone Boyle. Instead they insert an scheme with one week of practice that fell apart in 2 series. Temple was totally keyed on AK and just tee-off on obvious 3rd down pass plays.This was one large turd.

Boyle in 3 years hasn't even shown a flash of running a competent offense. His highlight at UConn was last week when we ran a conservative offesne just like this. In what world is a winning strategy to let Tim Boyle air it out?

We did the same thing last week. Everyone raved about the coaching then. It's not different now, just last week we were able to get a touchdown before BS got hurt, and the defense forced 4 turnovers.

If people want to say Anderson should have gotten significant action at QB, fine. I tend to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt since they have actually seen him play, but I can at least buy the argument since Boyle is as bad as it gets. But I don't know how anyone who has watched Boyle these 3 years could have an issue with the playcalling.

Reaction Score
Firts have to give Temple credit. That D is nasty and our line was overmatched. But...

...the gameplan looked like a desperate crackpot idea installed at the last minute. Everybody on the board realizes Temple is the better team and this was a longshot. But we also realize Boyle needs to set up in the shotgun and find his weapons to succeed even in a limited way. It's mind boggling how this young man has been mismanaged throughout his career here. But at least they kept the run-every-first-down strategy until they were forced to surrender and actually complete a few passes. Way too little too late.

I hope Verducci had little to do with the genesis of this plan.

They completed a few passes when Temple brought in backups on defense, and it still only resulted in a long field goal attempt.

Reaction Score
Boyle is a very poor D1 quarterback and everybody from the coaching staff on down knows it. If he's being propped up as our #2 next year, it will be an admission of failure in recruiting.

You mean another year of failed recruiting, right? This program has no clue on what a modern college offense should look lkke.

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping that Tyler Davis jumps up to number 2 in the depth chart next year. He seems to have the tools to be pretty good for us, especially considering the fact that he seems to be a similar qb to BS, meaning we wouldn't need to make the drastic gameplan changes that we've seen with Boyle under center, if BS gets hurt again next year. I'm not trying to knock Boyle, but with the offensive line we have, a scrambling qb is a necessity, not a luxury. GA clearly hasn't shown enough in practice to be able to fill that role, so here's to hoping that TD can develop into that role sooner rather than later.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You mean another year of failed recruiting, right? This program has no clue on what a modern college offense should look lkke.
I give you credit for at least being consistent.

Reaction Score

Sure, it's simple to say that players did not execute. Our offensive line sucks. But Frank Verducci's play calling was so PREDICTABLE. 1rst down, Newsome up the middle, 2nd down same thing, 3rd down incomplete pass or stuffed run. Verducci showed no confidence in his players. He is so conservative in his play calling that we are playing not to loose instead of playing to win. Since we play with house money, it seems like it's our chance to open up our offense and let the players play. I saw Boyle at Xavier and he can play. May be the result would be the same, but we would lose playing our game and playing to win.

Reaction Score
Boyle has thrown 14 interceptions to one touchdown. This means that to beat Temple Boyle would have to thrown at least three touchdown passes. Do you really want to sit through a game where your quarterback tosses 42 interceptions?

And the alternative is Newsome running up the middle?

Reaction Score
I give you credit for at least being consistent.

Instead of "giving me credit for consistency", is it possible we could at least agree that for the past 5 seasons UConn's offense has been awful (one of the least productive in the nation)?Their play calling is predictable: conservative, run, run, run and pass only when it's third and long (and the defense knows what's coming).
The only respite from that script was three games at the end of 2013 (Temple, Rutgers and Memphis) when Cochran was allowed to throw the ball all over the yard. That was exciting football (59 points gainst Memphis via 54 CC forward passes). That game was awesome (and, yeah, I know Memphis sucked, but UCONN was 2-9 going into that game).

Reaction Score
Instead of "giving me credit for consistency", is it possible we could at least agree that for the past 5 seasons UConn's offense has been awful (one of the least productive in the nation)?Their play calling is predictable: conservative, run, run, run and pass only when it's third and long (and the defense knows what's coming).
The only respite from that script was three games at the end of 2013 (Temple, Rutgers and Memphis) when Cochran was allowed to throw the ball all over the yard. That was exciting football (59 points gainst Memphis vi 54 CC forward passes). That game was awesome (and, yeah, I know Memphis sucked, but UCONN was 2-9 going into that game.

The only games where that's been our playcalling this year were when we had a terrible backup qb playing, or when the game was in a monsoon.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Shame. Shame. Shame.

Ding-dong.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Ding-dong.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Ding-dong.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Ding-dong.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Ding-dong.
Shame-Bell-Lady-From-Game-Thrones.gif

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The only respite from that script was three games at the end of 2013 (Temple, Rutgers and Memphis) when Cochran was allowed to throw the ball all over the yard. That was exciting football (59 points gainst Memphis via 54 CC forward passes). That game was awesome (and, yeah, I know Memphis sucked, but UCONN was 2-9 going into that game).
Do you need certain pieces to be successful passing the ball 100% of the time in the TDHusky offense, or can any QB just jump in and succeed in your world? How about backup QB? It's so easy to regurgitate the same boring complaints without thinking how to actually solve the problem beyond "derp... Throw more! Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V"

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Drop down a level. Whipple up at UMass loves to strong armed QBs.

He is not accurate. Except when throwing to the defense. Arm strength means nothing if you can't hit your target.

C

Chief00

Boyle has thrown 14 interceptions to one touchdown. This means that to beat Temple Boyle would have to thrown at least three touchdown passes. Do you really want to sit through a game where your quarterback tosses 42 interceptions?

But we immediately put the QB in a 2 and 10 running up the middle with 9 men in the box on first down.
No one will agree but if someone actually put in a decent passing package - he would be our best QB with some coaching we don't have.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But we immediately put the QB in a 2 and 10 running up the middle with 9 men in the box on first down.
No one will agree but if someone actually put in a decent passing package - he would be our best QB with some coaching we don't have.

He doesn't have the skill to properly execute a passing package.

C

Chief00

He doesn't have the skill to properly execute a passing package.

I agree his first two years he did not have the maturity but this year I disagree but no guy has been put in position to fail more - with just really bad play calling. He is the best passer of the 3 by a lot - BS is the better runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom