Shakur Juiston (Juco) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shakur Juiston (Juco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My biggest concern next season is rim protection & defensive IQ from the five spot.

Me too...

But with Enoch, clearly his strength is providing a little offensive support in the halfcourt set... He's got touch and post moves, but he's been hesitant, rightfully considering what our offense is built around (backcourt shooting/scoring), and also the lack of backside rebounding. we were horrible on the glass this year... I think we need to find a way to get him to turn it up a bit in the post on the offensive end... That's his assignment for the Summer... still work on rebounding and providing defense (maybe just learn to use his length on D a little more, standing straight up, keep arms straight in order to help him avoid falling for fakes, double fakes, and triple fakes...)... IMO, he can be a better presence than Brimah these last 2 years of his career in terms of those aspects (never at blocking shots but all around better in the post)

Reaction Score
Iowa St, OU and VCU are always big JUCO routes aren't they? I'm not sure how serious either party is on the UConn end. Throw KU in I'm guessing we're a long shot.

Hope he goes to Rutgers for our Pikiell's sake. (if not us)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Me too...

But with Enoch, clearly his strength is providing a little offensive support in the halfcourt set... He's got touch and post moves, but he's been hesitant, rightfully considering what our offense is built around (backcourt shooting/scoring), and also the lack of backside rebounding. we were horrible on the glass this year... I think we need to find a way to get him to turn it up a bit in the post on the offensive end... That's his assignment for the Summer... still work on rebounding and providing defense (maybe just learn to use his length on D a little more, standing straight up, keep arms straight in order to help him avoid falling for fakes, double fakes, and triple fakes...)... IMO, he can be a better presence than Brimah these last 2 years of his career in terms of those aspects (never at blocking shots but all around better in the post)
He needs a lot more work at the defensive end then what you list. He still has no clue how to handle screens, the pick and roll or move with players when they drive. He's slow to react to rebounding, not always good at boxing his player out and so on. He could hit 60% of his shots and still be a net negative relative to Amida this year who at least minimized opposing guards from driving into the paint as long as his player couldn't make mid range or deep shots that forced him out of the key.

It wasn't just foul trouble that minimized Steve's playing time. It was an almost completely ineffectual defensive contribution that kept him on the bench.

Reaction Score
He needs a lot more work at the defensive end then what you list. He still has no clue how to handle screens, the pick and roll or move with players when they drive. He's slow to react to rebounding, not always good at boxing his player out and so on. He could hit 60% of his shots and still be a net negative relative to Amida this year who at least minimized opposing guards from driving into the paint as long as his player couldn't make mid range or deep shots that forced him out of the key.

It wasn't just foul trouble that minimized Steve's playing time. It was an almost completely ineffectual defensive contribution that kept him on the bench.

Agree to disagree here fleudy. Those who feel the blocked shot is something huge, well I get it then, and sometimes during a run it is I agree. But when it comes down to playing D and boxing out, AB for his 4 years was dreadful besides the blocked shot. Clueless usually on that end but even more so the offensive end. Rim protection? No need just give me a guy who can guard someone, figure out when he's bodied up which way the offensive player is thinking of spinning. Not saying it's enoch, but we won't lose much here either.

Reaction Score
Steve has a chance, needs to work his ass off yesterday, today and every day ,go to big man school. Hakeem O has a good one and get an attitude out there. We need him now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I hope Steve can learn defense well enough. But as he left the court this year, it will a significant loss on the defensive end. Hopefully Polley, Cobb or Durham can pick up some of the slack or we will be seeing some lay-up lines again.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Enoch has a $100k for a couple of sessions to learn a dreamshake?
I'm honestly amazed by the things people say sometimes.

Reaction Score
I hope Steve can learn defense well enough. But as he left the court this year, it will a significant loss on the defensive end. Hopefully Polley, Cobb or Durham can pick up some of the slack or we will be seeing some lay-up lines again.

We saw lay up lines no matter who was in there.

We need someone who can just play their damn position in the middle. I'm amazed at how many really good teams have no shot blocker, we on the BY put too much stock in that and forget none of our bigs were good defenders in man unless they blocked a couple shots. It's time to just hunker down and play defense, play positional defense get a hand in the face then get a damn rebound. You see what blocked shots did for us...Steve needs to learn to move his feet and think the game or maybe Carlton, Cobb or someone knows how.

C

Chief00

he'd be a solid fit for this UConn team... we have shooters... only issue is we don't have any consistent frontcourt presence... We need ALL HANDS ON DECK up front... NOW... UConn's strength is and will always the backcourt... Let's get the frontcourt to understand their primary roles, one MAJOR role is CRASHING THE G.D. BOARDS!!! Along with playing solid interior defense.. Block shots are nice but we need kids up front to just play better...

This kid would provide immediate help...
If you are to believe Stairmaster and some on this forum - No worries - Glen Miller will coach them up!

C

Chief00

Your embarrassing personal problems with Glen Miller render you wholly unqualified to offer an opinion on his value to the team.

Hopefully, we will soon make the necessary changes and whatever Stairmaster's "qualified" position is, will thankfully be rendered irrelevant.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hopefully, we will soon make the necessary changes and whatever Stairmaster's "qualified" position is, will thankfully be rendered irrelevant.

Maybe KO will ask campus PD to lift the restraining order he had to take out against you as well.

Reaction Score
We saw lay up lines no matter who was in there.

We need someone who can just play their damn position in the middle. I'm amazed at how many really good teams have no shot blocker, we on the BY put too much stock in that and forget none of our bigs were good defenders in man unless they blocked a couple shots. It's time to just hunker down and play defense, play positional defense get a hand in the face then get a damn rebound. You see what blocked shots did for us...Steve needs to learn to move his feet and think the game or maybe Carlton, Cobb or someone knows how.

You don't need to lead the world in blocked shots to be great defensively, but length and rim protection is definitely super important and we're losing a lot of that. DeAndre Daniels was indispensable for us defensively because he could hedge hard on ball screens and still protect the rim (he averaged 2 blocks per 40 minutes and had great length for his size).

Right now we don't have that guy on the roster for next season. All you have to do is watch a team like St. Mary's - as well-schooled a team as I've seen - to know that there are limitations to what a team can accomplish defensively unless you have the measurables. Durham could be that guy. I have less confidence that Enoch will ever be more than passable.

You're take away from the tournament is a lot different than mine. Watching these teams like Iowa State, Michigan, and Wisconsin clear out the strong side and attack one on one has invoked a stark contrast to the last UConn team that was actually very stout one v one off the dribble but continually floundered in rotations & pick and roll situations. That's coaching.

C

Chief00

Maybe KO will ask campus PD to lift the restraining order he had to take out against you as well.

You are one crazy dude - saw KO recently - as always nothing but good, fun stuff.

Reaction Score
You don't need to lead the world in blocked shots to be great defensively, but length and rim protection is definitely super important and we're losing a lot of that. DeAndre Daniels was indispensable for us defensively because he could hedge hard on ball screens and still protect the rim (he averaged 2 blocks per 40 minutes and had great length for his size).

Right now we don't have that guy on the roster for next season. All you have to do is watch a team like St. Mary's - as well-schooled a team as I've seen - to know that there are limitations to what a team can accomplish defensively unless you have the measurables. Durham could be that guy. I have less confidence that Enoch will ever be more than passable.

You're take away from the tournament is a lot different than mine. Watching these teams like Iowa State, Michigan, and Wisconsin clear out the strong side and attack one on one has invoked a stark contrast to the last UConn team that was actually very stout one v one off the dribble but continually floundered in rotations & pick and roll situations. That's coaching.

Josh Jackson leads Kansas with 35 blocks not a really crazy number? But they're pretty good. My point is you don't need a swatter if you play solid D on the post and rebound. Shaq at Wichita State was that type of guy I would take in a second over Brimah and his blocked shots. Space eater, smart and by the way he can play a little down the other end too. If a guy like Cobb can be some of that player he will see minutes.

Agree on Deandre's importance, could use someone like that maybe it's Larrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom