Shakur Juiston (Juco) | The Boneyard

Shakur Juiston (Juco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pumped! He's one of the better JUCO players in the country. A 3/4 type who just grabs every board possible.

But from what Oz has said, we're looking to fill the last scholarship with someone who can play the 2. So maybe our interest will have tailed off after Cobb's commitment.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
dont need him to come in and shoot... need defense, energy, and a bully on the inside
Have to agree and he looks like a mean dude after that jam. Can defend against 2-4, board and run the offense? Others will shoot. He can do put backs and all that other stuff. Kind of looks like Adrien after that stuff.

Reaction Score
We'll have a good amount of shooting for next year. All of our guards except maybe MAL should be able shoot it at average to above average clips, Larrier should be average, Vance will be a star, and Juwan and Enoch can at least provide some deeper midrange shots. Polley looks to have a decent stroke as well. I like this kid and I like JuCo kids in general. That being said we'd have no scholarships for 2018 unless someone leaves which I don't love; we're in on some damn good kids.

Edit: this kid has at least a little bit of midrange as well

Reaction Score
We'll have a good amount of shooting for next year. All of our guards except maybe MAL should be able shoot it at average to above average clips, Larrier should be average, Vance will be a star, and Juwan and Enoch can at least provide some deeper midrange shots. Polley looks to have a decent stroke as well. I like this kid and I like JuCo kids in general. That being said we'd have no scholarships for 2018 unless someone leaves which I don't love; we're in on some damn good kids.

Still, if there's a radar shooter out there graduating and he can pay a little I'm all in to wait. But the kid could be a good fit, sounds tough and can rebound for his size.

Reaction Score

I suspect we'll have at least one, quite likely two scholarships open up regardless.

Barring injury, very little chance that Jalen is back, and if Larrier has the type of season we hope he does, he'll be gone too.

Reaction Score
Still, if there's a radar shooter out there graduating and he can pay a little I'm all in to wait. But the kid could be a good fit, sounds tough and can rebound for his size.
Plan A for me is absolutely that Egor grad kid from Rice. Not only is he very good and fills needs, he also is wildly-named European shooter, who is a naturalized Israeli? I couldn't be more in on him

Reaction Score
As much as I'd love to add a 2 who can shoot, just take whatever the best talent we can get is. We say it'll be nice to play Larrier as a stretch 4 but if we find a nice talent at the 4, no reason Larrier can't play more minutes at the 3

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Kid moves like a player.

EDIT: Supposed to be Draymond-like in his ability to defend 2-through-4, rebound and run the offense. Lots of energy, not much of a shooter by all accounts.

Kansas is on him pretty good.

I want him purely for the speed and fluidity of which he ex cited that first move, wow.

Reaction Score
he'd be a solid fit for this UConn team... we have shooters... only issue is we don't have any consistent frontcourt presence... We need ALL HANDS ON DECK up front... NOW... UConn's strength is and will always the backcourt... Let's get the frontcourt to understand their primary roles, one MAJOR role is CRASHING THE G.D. BOARDS!!! Along with playing solid interior defense.. Block shots are nice but we need kids up front to just play better...

This kid would provide immediate help...

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Before this I would've said lets save that last scholarship if we can find a sniper, big, shooting guard.
But now I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
How many 4s would this give counting the guys we want to put some time in at the 4? Too many?
It would give us a lot, but I suspect one of them (Polley) is going to redshirt.

Reaction Score
I want this kid. Tough hard nosed player.

Hes exactly what this team has been lacking.

Reaction Score
he'd be a solid fit for this UConn team... we have shooters... only issue is we don't have any consistent frontcourt presence... We need ALL HANDS ON DECK up front... NOW... UConn's strength is and will always the backcourt... Let's get the frontcourt to understand their primary roles, one MAJOR role is CRASHING THE G.D. BOARDS!!! Along with playing solid interior defense.. Block shots are nice but we need kids up front to just play better...

This kid would provide immediate help...

We need more shooters.

Reaction Score
How many 4s would this give counting the guys we want to put some time in at the 4? Too many?
Isn't that how we find out who will end up being the guys who get the most PT in our frontcourt? Bring in talent to practice against talent and find out who's gonna lead us from the start... Practice in our frontcourt should be harder than a game... Doesn't look that way right now... If it's gonna, then we can't come out and lose supposed to win or just plain old winnable games... This now past season we lost to Wagner, Northeastern, OK State, Auburn, BARELY beat Boston U, Chaminade, Loyola Marymount, lost some in conference games we had no business losing (ECU & Tulsa), shoulda beat Georgetown (probably would've if we had a few more scholly kids on the bench)..

The common denominator, our frontcourt seemed to fade more oftent then naught...How many lose balls or defense rebounds did we miss out on that we should've easily had?

If I was Coach KO I'd have my frontcourt kids working on rebounding drills now. If they want to be great they cannot accept mediocrity...

Being an alumn from back in the day (late 80's to early 90's) I get what these kids go through... Basketball is king up in Storrs, CT...They are the BMOC.... from the time Uncle Cliffy (Cliff Robinson) led us to the NIT Championship in '88, to "The Shot" heard around CT in '90 (Tate George in the NCAA Tourney), to the NIT Finals Rip and the superfosh went to in the '96/'97 to then go on and win the '99 National Championship to the '04 National Championship to the disappointing '06 Tourney campaign (we choked against George Mason) to the Cardiac Kemba led '11 National Championship then to just 3 years ago when Shabazz said "Told You!" at the end of the '14 National Championship game that we won... Being a member of the UConn Men's Basketball Team is an honor, kinda like knight hood... You are automatically a celebrity pretty much. and, unfortunately for these kids, losing is not an option. It's just not accepted because of our success over the last nearly 30 years....

So, may the best frontcourt players win. If you're not winning with what you have you have challenge what you already have by bringing in more talent.

Reaction Score
We need more shooters.
We need more guys who just know how to play basketball and can put the ball in the basket. I have no idea if this guy fits the bill, but if they can put the ball in the basket at a decent clip from anywhere from the court and be conducive to winning, sign them up. Too many guys the past few years who can't play ball well consistently game to game eating up minutes and/or a schollie.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Isn't that how we find out who will end up being the guys who get the most PT in our frontcourt? Bring in talent to practice against talent and find out who's gonna lead us from the start... Practice in our frontcourt should be harder than a game... Doesn't look that way right now... If it's gonna, then we can't come out and lose supposed to win or just plain old winnable games... This now past season we lost to Wagner, Northeastern, OK State, Auburn, BARELY beat Boston U, Chaminade, Loyola Marymount, lost some in conference games we had no business losing (ECU & Tulsa), shoulda beat Georgetown (probably would've if we had a few more scholly kids on the bench)..

The common denominator, our frontcourt seemed to fade more oftent then naught...How many lose balls or defense rebounds did we miss out on that we should've easily had?

If I was Coach KO I'd have my frontcourt kids working on rebounding drills now. If they want to be great they cannot accept mediocrity...

Being an alumn from back in the day (late 80's to early 90's) I get what these kids go through... Basketball is king up in Storrs, CT...They are the BMOC.... from the time Uncle Cliffy (Cliff Robinson) led us to the NIT Championship in '88, to "The Shot" heard around CT in '90 (Tate George in the NCAA Tourney), to the NIT Finals Rip and the superfosh went to in the '96/'97 to then go on and win the '99 National Championship to the '04 National Championship to the disappointing '06 Tourney campaign (we choked against George Mason) to the Cardiac Kemba led '11 National Championship then to just 3 years ago when Shabazz said "Told You!" at the end of the '14 National Championship game that we won... Being a member of the UConn Men's Basketball Team is an honor, kinda like knight hood... You are automatically a celebrity pretty much. and, unfortunately for these kids, losing is not an option. It's just not accepted because of our success over the last nearly 30 years....

So, may the best frontcourt players win. If you're not winning with what you have you have challenge what you already have by bringing in more talent.

Agree that our frontcourt has been a big problem. But I am counting 5 or 6 guys we want to spend time at the four. Quantity does not fix quality, as we've seen before. If this guy clearly surpasses the other 5 , it may be worth it. But if he is another option to Diarra, Durham, Polley and sometimes Larrier and Jackson, I think we are covered
We need a wing or a center.

Reaction Score
We need more guys who just know how to play basketball and can put the ball in the basket. I have no idea if this guy fits the bill, but if they can put the ball in the basket at a decent clip from anywhere from the court and be conducive to winning, sign them up. Too many guys the past few years who can't play ball well consistently game to game eating up minutes and/or a schollie.

While I agree, I'm not especially concerned about the ability to put the ball in the basket next season. We're pretty much loaded with those guys 1-4. Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Jackson, Larrier, and Durham, assuming he progresses health-wise, all strike me as the type of players who don't need a lot of structure to succeed. I imagine they will be far more proficient in isos and ball screens - and Enoch will help with this - than they were this past season with guards who were streaky and big who couldn't really put it on the floor. Jackson and Vital were hardly great players as freshman, but they appeared to understand how offense works conceptually.

My biggest concern next season is rim protection & defensive IQ from the five spot.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I would want to see this kid at the 3 if he can really shoot (although his position is pretty irrelevant in KOs system [which philosophically speaking im not always a huge fan of but thats a different discussion]), I know how many times we seem to hear a guy pegged as a "sniper" until he signs.

Reaction Score
I would want to see this kid at the 3 if he can really shoot (although his position is pretty irrelevant in KOs system [which philosophically speaking im not always a huge fan of but thats a different discussion]), I know how many times we seem to hear a guy pegged as a "sniper" until he signs.
He doesn't shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline