Shaka Smart in talks with Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart in talks with Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Jack" was a poor choice, but it is safe to say that his national profile has diminished since that final four. I hope he gets the Texas job. I agree with an earlier post, he has probably maxed out VCU.
I doubt his national profile has diminished at all. He is a young, charismatic, good coach who is recruiting well to a school that has no business landing the recruits he is bringing in. Kids want to play in his system. If not Ollie, this would be the next guy I would want at UConn, since a guy like Sean Miller is not really realistic.

Reaction Score
I don't think his profile has diminished, but people are right to look at his recent tournament flame-outs and be wary. He's lost as a higher seed 2 straight times int he first weekend, and got blown out by 25 in a 4-5 game before that.

Against top teams - those with good PGs, more than one guy who can handle the ball without peeing his pants, and a coach who can watch tape and actually prepare - Havoc is a gimmick.

Smart is still going to be a success wherever he goes. But I'd wager he's more of a Bill Self-type: monster regular seasons, lots of tourney disappointment.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
5 straight tourny bids from a mid-major (A-10) ain't bad. We can't say that...
4 NCAA trophies in 15 years - VCU cant say that

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you coach at VCU and peoples best criticism is "he hasn't been to the final four in four years!" you are doing well.

I wouldn't say this is something a knowledgeable person would say. Just because VCU made the Final Four one year I don't look at them as a program that deserves surprise at not doing it again over short past history.
Yeah they are a great team for their conference but i highly doubt VCU would be showing 5 consecutive 20 plus game winning seasons if in a P5.
They wreck havoc versus the unsuspecting or those teams with less than capable ballhandlers. Saw them a lot this year and teams in their conference like URI, Dayton and UMass showed thay were not rattled by the pressure.
Should Texas be interested? Sure But he cannot play his kind of ball vs teams in that conference - Has he proven to be able to recruit and coach bigs?
I'm not a Shaka hater but am not a believer that he is that excellent. he's in a great place for him now but can he prosper on a bigger stage vs much different competition.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who else can though?
So right you are but not the point - 1 final four does not make a program a dynasty or a coach a genius. sometimes there is "right place right time and a little luck". If he led his team to a couple of elite eights after the final four - yes then he has real proven success.

Reaction Score
VCU's final four berth is on par with any "two" UCONN national titles. UCONN played its way up into national prominence in the Big East, who collectively kicked the door down to become a super power in the mens basketball. I'm not trying to denigrate UCONN's accomplishments, but damn people, get some perspective. It's a lot harder to become a FF quality team when your schedule consists of Colonial Athletic Association competition, and a November "pre season NIT" game at Wake Forest. They guy can coach, period.

Reaction Score
Shaka's a good coach, no doubt, but all sorts of wrong in this sentence.

Not really at all, so long as you realize that good conferences beget good programs, and good programs beget strong scheduling. Good programs, conferences and scheduling allow you to schedule top tier programs, which attracts a stream of top talent.

THAT was all stacked up against guys like Shaka Smart at VCU. I mean, college football is irrevocably broken, but let's not pretend mens basketball is some "eden of level play"..

Reaction Score
In particular, putting two in quotation marks.

Agreed. I meant to quote "any", so the reader can pick and choose. Point still stands though. There's a reason why Shaka Smart is wanted up the coaching ranks, and this is why.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not really at all, so long as you realize that good conferences beget good programs, and good programs beget strong scheduling. Good programs, conferences and scheduling allow you to schedule top tier programs, which attracts a stream of top talent.

THAT was all stacked up against guys like Shaka Smart at VCU. I mean, college football is irrevocably broken, but let's not pretend mens basketball is some "eden of level play"..
OK, so shouldn't more major conference schools have at least two recent national titles? Very few do.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I meant to quote "any", so the reader can pick and choose. Point still stands though. There's a reason why Shaka Smart is wanted up the coaching ranks, and this is why.

Still not how quotation marks work, but whatever. Do your thing, I guess.

Reaction Score
OK, so shouldn't more major conference schools have at least two recent national titles? Very few do.

Of course very few do. My point isn't, as I said to denigrate what UCONN has accomplished. I'm just trying to point out what Shake Smart accomplished at VCU is along those lines. He hasn't turned VCU into a perennial elite-level program, but what he did was incredible, just the same.

Reaction Score
One way to think about it is that 5 times mid majors made the f4 since 2004. VCU, Butler 2x, GMU, Memphis.

In that period 7 different teams won the NC.

Reaction Score
Texas would be a good landing spot for him. Plenty of money, support and more appealing than VCU. They also have patience considering how long they lived with Barnes.

Reaction Score
One way to think about it is that 5 times mid majors made the f4 since 2004. VCU, Butler 2x, GMU, Memphis.

In that period 7 different teams won the NC.
I wouldn't consider Memphis to be a mid-major. I would consider WSU to be a mid-major though, so the total of 5 to have made the FF in the last decade is still intact.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider Memphis to be a mid-major. I would consider WSU to be a mid-major though, so the total of 5 to have made the FF in the last decade is still intact.

Yup, if you're going to consider Memphis a mid-major, 2005 Louisville and 2014 UConn would have to be considered one too.

Reaction Score
Although Texas may transform into a power under Shaka (at least one that doesn't choke as often in the tournament), I hope this helps us with our recruitment of Mario Kegler.

Yes, it's twitter, but I was not a big fan of his post the other day:

Mario Kegler3 ‏@3Kegler Mar 30

If John Lucas gets the Texas job, I know where I'm going !!! #Hookemforever #Longhornnation

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Although Texas may transform into a power under Shaka (at least one that doesn't choke as often in the tournament), I hope this helps us with our recruitment of Mario Kegler.

If John Lucas gets the Texas job, I know where I'm going !!! #Hookemforever #Longhornnation
Either way our chances with Kegler will be hurt by his favorite team hiring a promising coach.

Reaction Score
There had been rumors of some mutual interest between Lucas and Texas, apparently he has some connection with the AD. I know Lucas is active in grass roots basketball (also in player rehab).

Kegler's tweet struck me as odd, but it seemed legit. Then again, the next day he retweeted this, which made me feel better (and yes, we all need to relax w/the Twitter, but it's really the best insight we have sometimes on recruiting):
@UConn4X:

Husky History repeats itself: #Uconn in pursuit of elite 6'8" 2016 top-target Mario Kegler of MS. 4X Champs

(with pictures of Kegler side by side w/Rudy Gay)

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score

What's Kegler's relationship with John Lucas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom