Shaka Smart in talks with Texas | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart in talks with Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were in play for a lot of those players, in case transfers arise...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He would have to ask for and receive a release from VCU and then have that release be approved by the NLI steering committee.

It can be done, but it's not automatic.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Tevin Mack to Texas!

I'm gonna invent my own crystal ball website.
My thoughts as well.

I think Shaka would do serious damage at Texas. Texas getting back on their feet would be fine by me. The south could use another team that seriously competes for the top prospects down there.

Reaction Score
Usually the VCU board laughs at these reports about Shaka leaving (i'm thinking of the false reports to Marquette and other schools in the past years), but some of their mods are saying that this is legit and they're pretty nervous.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Smart has done jack since the final four years ago. Don't see why Texas wouldn't get someone better. Also if smart leaves, all that bs about his coach leaving and making him sad or whatever is a joke.

Reaction Score
Smart has done jack since the final four years ago. Don't see why Texas wouldn't get someone better. Also if smart leaves, all that bs about his coach leaving and making him sad or whatever is a joke.

5 straight tourny bids from a mid-major (A-10) ain't bad. We can't say that...

Reaction Score
I mean, his record at VCU is 163-56. He's taken them to the NCAAs 5 straight years with a trip to the Final Four and has had 6 straight 25+ win seasons. Those are good numbers. Texas would be fools to dismiss Shaka Smart.

Dismissing Geno Auriemma and Shaka Smart both in the past week isn't necessarily a good look, but to each his own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He got them out of the Colonial American Conference (where a 28-6 record got them a 12 seed, which they used to beat Wichita State and then almost Indiana) and into the A10. He's made the tournament every year and generally done well. A Final Four out of VCU is a great thing in and of itself. To be consistently ranked in the Top 25 out of the A10 is nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score
lol smart has done jack in the last 4 years? some of you guys really are crazy. theres only so many wins to go around

caw

Reaction Score
He would have to ask for and receive a release from VCU and then have that release be approved by the NLI steering committee.

It can be done, but it's not automatic.

If he asks, it's rare for a school not to grant one in the case of a coach leaving. Also rare for it not to be approved. Maybe not automatic but darn close.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier could also become an option again. Went for 6.6 and 3 this past year but was certainly improving as the season went on. We were a finalist for him.

Reaction Score

LMAO. You need to define Jack. He's taken VCU up a league and made it the #1 program in the A-Ten.

Reaction Score
He got them out of the Colonial American Conference (where a 28-6 record got them a 12 seed, which they used to beat Wichita State and then almost Indiana) and into the A10. He's made the tournament every year and generally done well. A Final Four out of VCU is a great thing in and of itself. To be consistently ranked in the Top 25 out of the A10 is nothing to sneeze at.

It was said by somebody else the other day, but it is amazing how warped the perspectives of some posters on this board are. Getting to the final four is really, really f'in hard. The very best programs in the country can go decades between them (just ask Indiana), much less VCU, where just ten years ago they were celebrating one tournament win like it was equivalent to a national title. When you coach at VCU and peoples best criticism is "he hasn't been to the final four in four years!" you are doing well.

Reaction Score
Half the UT roster just started following Mark Jackson on Twitter:

CBX-HeFVAAAFKo0.png

Reaction Score
It was said by somebody else the other day, but it is amazing how warped the perspectives of some posters on this board are. Getting to the final four is really, really f'in hard. The very best programs in the country can go decades between them (just ask Indiana), much less VCU, where just ten years ago they were celebrating one tournament win like it was equivalent to a national title. When you coach at VCU and peoples best criticism is "he hasn't been to the final four in four years!" you are doing well.
This post? :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I mean, his record at VCU is 163-56. He's taken them to the NCAAs 5 straight years with a trip to the Final Four and has had 6 straight 25+ win seasons. Those are good numbers. Texas would be fools to dismiss Shaka Smart.

Dismissing Geno Auriemma and Shaka Smart both in the past week isn't necessarily a good look, but to each his own.
Never said he was a bad coach, or that he hasn't accomplished anything. Perhaps "jack" was the wrong word, but not advancing beyond the round of 32 more than once doesn't wow me. Idk maybe I'm a spoiled uconn fan.

Reaction Score
Never said he was a bad coach, or that he hasn't accomplished anything. Perhaps "jack" was the wrong word, but not advancing beyond the round of 32 more than once doesn't wow me. Idk maybe I'm a spoiled uconn fan.
"Jack" was a poor choice, but it is safe to say that his national profile has diminished since that final four. I hope he gets the Texas job. I agree with an earlier post, he has probably maxed out VCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom