Shade versus Arnold | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shade versus Arnold

Reaction Score
I'd like to see KK work on her outside shot in practice. I'd also like to see her, Shade, Paige , AE and Ice as the starting five

I think it’s highly likely that she works on her outside shot a lot in practice. If she doesn’t, then both she and the coaches are fools – and I don’t believe that for a second.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
May be me, but what I see is that things go downhill when KK is in the game at the same time as Nika. To my eyes they are not a good duo, the flow of the game is much slower with each doing their thing or waiting to see what the other is doing.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Shade get more playing time at the expense of KK, if necessary. KK is obviously talented but it seems her offense has become somewhat one dimensional, get to the rim at all costs. She needs to learn to pull up and shoot the 5-8’ jumper. Shade is an outstanding shooter and at this point strikes me as a smart player.
Excellent observation. KK presently is limited in her offensive prowess; she shakes and bakes and then heads to the basket. This is all fine and good because we need a good penetrator. However, as you stated, she needs to expand her arsenal to include a short-range jumper and a teardrop shot. I think this will definitely help her overall game because when we're playing against bigs, she can't always reach the basket.

I also would like to see Shade get more playing time--she is the most composed of our freshmen and she is a good defender as well as a good outside shooter... I am encouraged with the prospects of seeing all these freshmen grow and mature with more playing time...

Reaction Score
Excellent observation. KK presently is limited in her offensive prowess; she shakes and bakes and then heads to the basket. This is all fine and good because we need a good penetrator. However, as you stated, she needs to expand her arsenal to include a short-range jumper and a teardrop shot. I think this will definitely help her overall game because when we're playing against bigs, she can't always reach the basket.

I also would like to see Shade get more playing time--she is the most composed of our freshmen and she is a good defender as well as a good outside shooter... I am encouraged with the prospects of seeing all these freshmen grow and mature with more playing time...
I agree Shade is fundamentally sound offensively but her feet are heavy defensively. She doesnt have quickness. She's similar to Nika defensively

Reaction Score
Uconn needs perimeter threats in order to spread the floor. Period. Upper classmen are not playing like it this season, so it's time to start mixing some things up. Starters to tryout heading into the Ball State game needs to be:

1. Paige -6'0"
2. Ashyln - 5'10"
3. Q - 6'2"
4. Aubrey (If she becomes the athletic force we know her to be by rebounding and driving to the hoop) OR Ice (if she learns how to pass, post up and catch the ball)- 6'2"/6'3"
5. AE- 6'3"

That gives them decent size in the post, three capable shooters on the perimeter and decent ball handlers/defenders.

Bring Nika and KK off the bench for Paige and Q to give them breathers and rotate.

At this point, we need to start getting creative and mixing things up.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Shade get more playing time at the expense of KK, if necessary. KK is obviously talented but it seems her offense has become somewhat one dimensional, get to the rim at all costs. She needs to learn to pull up and shoot the 5-8’ jumper. Shade is an outstanding shooter and at this point strikes me as a smart player.
Shade will become our best freshman. She hit her shots yesterday ( pull up jumper ( unguardable ); shot from the arc, and lay-up. Once her confidence returns at 100%, she should start. KK can do it all, also. But when she dished off in the lane, instead of taking an obvious shot, Geno was dumbfounded. As we all were. A freshman hesitancy. Q is my wild card. Maybe, just maybe, she'll fool us all and become a " next level " talent.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs perimeter threats in order to spread the floor. Period. Upper classmen are not playing like it this season, so it's time to start mixing some things up. Starters to tryout heading into the Ball State game needs to be:

1. Paige -6'0"
2. Ashyln - 5'10"
3. Q - 6'2"
4. Aubrey (If she becomes the athletic force we know her to be by rebounding and driving to the hoop) OR Ice (if she learns how to pass, post up and catch the ball)- 6'2"/6'3"
5. AE- 6'3"

That gives them decent size in the post, three capable shooters on the perimeter and decent ball handlers/defenders.

Bring Nika and KK off the bench for Paige and Q to give them breathers and rotate.

At this point, we need to start getting creative and mixing things up.
Not sure Aubey is showing the skill to earn that spot. She contributed 0 points yesterday. As in NONE. And her other work was largely y invisible. I would go with Paige, KK, Shade, Q and Edwards. And bring in others for relief and situational opportunity.

Reaction Score
I agree that Aubrey was not effective literally at all yesterday, but that has been her deal her entire career. She is not consistent. We need the Aubrey that played against Kansas. She has the capability to do that every night and if she can this team would be completely different. I would keep her in the rotation for that reason. Also, I don't think Q is comfortable playing the 4 spot at all. So, would definetely keep her on the perimeter.
Not sure Aubey is showing the skill to earn that spot. She contributed 0 points yesterday. As in NONE. And her other work was largely y invisible. I would go with Paige, KK, Shade, Q and Edwards. And bring in others for relief and situational opportunity.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are you saying Geno should determine the starting lineup based on the results of one game?

Reaction Score
Are you saying Geno should determine the starting lineup based on the results of one game?
I'd say "yes" to an extent. We need to try options and see what works. Can't hurt to try.

Change is sometimes good in life. Quite often surprises are better.

Reaction Score
Shade needs to play better defense. Offensively she is fine and should have plenty of opportunities to shoot the pull up. KK so far is the better defender but not an offensive threat.
Her driving ability is excellent and and it is an offensive threat. As someone else pointed out, her drives caused some of their bigs to pick up fouls which forced them to sit. She’s fearless driving in and will learn to avoid being blocked by taller players.

Reaction Score
It was rough, but. I thought last night was Ice's best game so far.

I don't think she was particularly effective, but it looked like she did a lot without having to "think".

I still have to watch the rest of the 3rd Q and the 4th.

Looking forward to watching the kids grow & get better.

The thought that went through my mind in the first quarter was, the way Texas is playing is why I started watching UConn way back when.

Every Texan player on the floor effected the game. Especially the 1st quarter.

It seems as if our kids were running around trying to get one player open.

Last night Texas demonstrated, how to win.
Yes, their point guard could penetrate and score over Nika and Booker could get any shot she wanted. They are stronger and quicker physically then Nika and Paige. Paige was also trying to guard Muhammed when we were coming back and she just fell down and Muhammed just put it right back with no one guarding her.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Its consistency, Aubrey doesn't have it. Ash and Ice should be starting along with Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah. Just because they are freshmen doesn't mean they cannot develop into the players we will need going forward. I mean THIS year, not next. They may be our best option for a more complete team. Give them the experience now, it will pay off at the end of the season. Right now, we don't have to worry about high rankings, that ship has sailed. Now we have to just regroup and play for the BE title and get the players ready for March. If we can get the team right, the team will win, no matter what our tournament seeding is.

Reaction Score
I really like the energy and enthusiasm that the freshmen bring to the game. Quite possibly Q has the most upside, but it's upside, not here and now. Give all 3 their minutes. That's the future.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

KK is hitting 53% of her 2's and 60% of her 3's. Shade is hitting 77% of her 2's. That looks good to me. Play them more.

Reaction Score
Who’s going to rebound from that line up? AG leads in rebounding even against Texas,as poorly as she played, she lead in rebounds.

Reaction Score
Who’s going to rebound from that line up? AG leads in rebounding even against Texas,as poorly as she played, she lead in rebounds.
We only got two rebounds against Texas with a starting line-up of Brady, Edwards and Aubrey. So a small line-up wont do any worse, and might be able to do better on offense and defense. Who knows? There is no magic solution with AZZI gone, Jana gone, Caroline gone and Patterson gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom