Shade versus Arnold | The Boneyard

Shade versus Arnold

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I’d love to see Shade get more playing time at the expense of KK, if necessary. KK is obviously talented but it seems her offense has become somewhat one dimensional, get to the rim at all costs. She needs to learn to pull up and shoot the 5-8’ jumper. Shade is an outstanding shooter and at this point strikes me as a smart player.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Shade get more playing time at the expense of KK, if necessary. KK is obviously talented but it seems her offense has become somewhat one dimensional, get to the rim at all costs. She needs to learn to pull up and shoot the 5-8’ jumper. Shade is an outstanding shooter and at this point strikes me as a smart player.
Lol you nailed exactly what Geno is looking for from KK and also why he recruited Ashlynn . They both need more minutes but I agree with hoops loops not at each other’s expense

Reaction Score
Different skill sets. Arnold's drives put a lot of pressure on defenses. KK put 2 or 3 fouls on their bigs which is what you want when you're already undersized. KK shot 6 fts and Shade shot none. When you're coming from behind you need these drives because they also allow you to score with the clock stopped. I like Shade when we are pressing and when we're playing zone. At times she lost her man in transition defense. She's a good shooter, but she has to be open because I haven't seen where she can consistently free herself to get a shot off against tight defense. She's not the only one. She'll adjust.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see KK work on her outside shot in practice. I'd also like to see her, Shade, Paige , AE and Ice as the starting five

Reaction Score
The " true freshmen" (without ICE) played 43 minutes against Texas. They combined for
7 for 9 shooting: KK 2 / 4, Ash 3 / 3 and Q 2 for 2; for 9, 7, and 4 points respectively.
Note: KK was 5 for 6 from the foul line (those drives to the basket get "points" more than
one way!!) But they also combined for 10 of our 20 fouls and 3 of our 21 turnovers. Unfortunately
ICE had 5 turnovers in 26 minutes of play.
Ashlynn was the only one of the three to hit a three pointer (one). Finally, KK had one steal and
the playing minutes were: 24 for KK, 11 for Ashlynn, and 8 for Q (ICE with 26 minutes, and
some good defense (from ICE, underneath) if you were watching.)

Reaction Score
Shade, KK and Q are all going to get more minutes, per Geno.
My prediction, Nika and Aubrey will not start. They both are more effective when we run, but our rebounding has been so bad , they don't get any fast break opportunities. Both are a liability in our half court offense.

Reaction Score
We have enough guards that it would be good to have a rotation and provide the minutes played based on in game situations. As an example, last night Nika was destroyed by Harmon's drives to the basket. KK was quick enough to slow her down but didn't get in until Texas had a 15 point lead. While noone seemed to be able to shoot, Shade was able to get into position to make some outside shots. Booker and her big body needed someone like Shade with the strength to guard her. We also got hammered by Texas' offensive rebounds when a guard needed to box out on the weak side. Shade is the strongest of the 3 in this area. With few bigs able to adequately sub, creatively using our guards may be Geno's best option.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My prediction, Nika and Aubrey will not start. They both are more effective when we run, but our rebounding has been so bad , they don't get any fast break opportunities. Both are a liability in our half court offense.
Aubrey’s 6.7 rpg leads the team and she is the best offensive board rebounder by far

D0478377-DDA6-44E2-B148-B27C7B903600.jpeg

Reaction Score
Shade and KK will get major minutes in due time. There will be some Big East games where they, hopefully get a lot of minutes. Same with Q and Ice. Ice got minutes yesterday and her confidence will continue to grow out there. Same with all of the freshmen players.

Reaction Score
In our three losses, AG has scored 2, 11 and 0 points 4.3 avg.
This season her scoring has dropped significantly to 7.9 from a year ago 11.3.
I am not saying she shouldn't play just come off the bench.
I am pretty sure the way this game works is most points WIN.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
It was rough, but. I thought last night was Ice's best game so far.

I don't think she was particularly effective, but it looked like she did a lot without having to "think".

I still have to watch the rest of the 3rd Q and the 4th.

Looking forward to watching the kids grow & get better.

The thought that went through my mind in the first quarter was, the way Texas is playing is why I started watching UConn way back when.

Every Texan player on the floor effected the game. Especially the 1st quarter.

It seems as if our kids were running around trying to get one player open.

Last night Texas demonstrated, how to win.

Reaction Score
All of the UConn players need to learn to pull up and shoot the 5-8 foot jumper.

Reaction Score
Nika has been one of their best shooters, she rebounds, she leads the team in assists and plays good defense. Who on the bench brings that into the game? None of the first year players are ready to be put in that position and none of them are playing great defense other than Shade. None of the players on the court to start the game yesterday were fundamentally sound and that is surprising for a team coached by Geno.

Reaction Score
Shade needs to play better defense. Offensively she is fine and should have plenty of opportunities to shoot the pull up. KK so far is the better defender but not an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
Choice shouldn’t be between these two- they can and should be playing more & at same time. The real question should be: Arnold vs Nika. With offense limited by injuries, I think giving KK more time would help- she is better offensive player. Nika is good defender against slow guards but not against the cream of the crop. Even if KK also has difficulty defending the fast guards, at least KK gives more offense in more varieties (she can take it to the hole and dish it out again). KK, especially if given time, will be able to utilize her pull-up jumper which I’ve seen her hit before. She is the future but UConn needs more of her now. Only caveat is, I wouldn’t play both Nika and KK together- it just doesn’t work. Let KK play more now, let her learn and make mistakes- she’ll keep improving and UConn will be better come season end.

Reaction Score
Some very interesting thoughts on the frosh getting more playing time, and I agree. Now is the time for them to learn and grow and get ready for the late season rush! This has to be one of the weakest rebounding UConn team, ever. Don’t give their “size” either!

Reaction Score
KK reminds me of Kemba from the men’s side. Talented as hell but a bit out of control early in her careeer. With maturity she will be a Husky great, give her the minutes to figure it out. Better than most of the other options at this point. Shade is steady and I’d give her more too even if outsized. Team doesn’t rebound well anyway so play people who can make shots and create offense.

Reaction Score
Would t mind seeing Shade starting or playing alongside Paige instead of Nika. Maybe even Q. They don’t play nearly as good defense as Nika but they are more aggressive on offense. This area of need may hinder us from another final 4 I don’t think it will be the front court anymore. Ice when she gets there with Aaliyah will be more than good enough.l, especially because they can shoot from the outside. I’m actually really excited for Ice to get comfortable. I can tell she’s really good. This two guard spot is a problem. I just can’t tell right now if it should be Shade or Q. Maybe Shade but Q looks like she gonna be a good defensive player also with her long arms. It’s actually not doom and gloom like I thought. It may not be perfect it I still think as long as that scoring guard steps forward, we can still be really good. Also need KK, and Patterson to get better because it won’t happen without them playing a big bench role. Nika is our backup point and energy off of the bench. That’s how it just needs to be and eventually I think Geno will do it. Or maybe he’ll do it like he did Caroline Doty, start Nika but then bring in Shade or Q really quickly. I wouldn’t mind that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom