SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 63 | The Boneyard

SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he posts a pic of him in Under Armour gear on Instagram after it's over.
Hopefully, he is just having his fun. But, if we lose this kid and we are a bubble team again next year, major changes will need to be made.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, he is just having his fun. But, if we lose this kid and we are a bubble team again next year, major changes will need to be made.
Those two things are unrelated.

The staff has clearly addressed the recruiting shortcomings over the past year. We'll see if that translates to success on the court, but losing out on one recruit shouldn't be the reason to make major changes.

Reaction Score
If we lose him, we lose him. Great athlete, lot of potential, but he's not holding the future of UConn basketball in his hands. Given what's transpired (or not transpired) with current members of the roster, I'd be more concerned about what's going to happen with kids like Durham and Jackson once they set foot on campus. (Namely, will they improve.)

Reaction Score
Those two things are unrelated.

The staff has clearly addressed the recruiting shortcomings over the past year. We'll see if that translates to success on the court, but losing out on one recruit shouldn't be the reason to make major changes.
I think they are related. Let's say we barely make, or miss, the tournament this year and the same happens next year. That would be three bad to mediocre seasons in a row. That, especially if it is three NCAA tournament misses in a row, might be enough to ask for major program changes. It might even justify a head coach change. However, if he had a Top 10, unanimous 5 star, level recruit coming in, that might justify giving him one more year to reverse course with the assumption being that this kid is immediate impact material.

Reaction Score
Seems like a lot of people look at next season as the year to expect major results. I disagree, we have lots of talent coming in, but they are freshmen. Our best case scenario is that one or two of them give us something and Jalen, Hamilton and Brimah all come back and elevate their games. Most likely, the new guys won't bring too much to the table next year. Losing Miller, Gibbs, Calhoun and Purvis (likely) will create some big voids. Regardless of the knocks on Purvis and Gibbs, they produce much more than the freshmen will. Purvis is productive, Gibbs scores and Calhoun has given us defense, energy and several key baskets. I expect a bit of a long improvement curve in a lot of ways. Just as Jalen is a junior and presumed star of the team and the big freshman class become sophomores, we'll lose Amida and Hamilton. We need another strong class after this incoming one badly to get where we want to be. I tend to think the recruiting restrictions we had hurt quite a bit and we are two years from shaking off the effect.

Reaction Score
Seems like a lot of people look at next season as the year to expect major results. I disagree, we have lots of talent coming in, but they are freshmen. Our best case scenario is that one or two of them give us something and Jalen, Hamilton and Brimah all come back and elevate their games. Most likely, the new guys won't bring too much to the table next year. Losing Miller, Gibbs, Calhoun and Purvis (likely) will create some big voids. Regardless of the knocks on Purvis and Gibbs, they produce much more than the freshmen will. Purvis is productive, Gibbs scores and Calhoun has given us defense, energy and several key baskets. I expect a bit of a long improvement curve in a lot of ways. Just as Jalen is a junior and presumed star of the team and the big freshman class become sophomores, we'll lose Amida and Hamilton. We need another strong class after this incoming one badly to get where we want to be. I tend to think the recruiting restrictions we had hurt quite a bit and we are two years from shaking off the effect.
Where do you see Purvis going exactly? An undersized two guard who has no intermediate game and can't make layups isn't going to get drafted. I'm being serious, do you think he'll leave to go to Europe?

Reaction Score
I think they are related. Let's say we barely make, or miss, the tournament this year and the same happens next year. That would be three bad to mediocre seasons in a row. That, especially if it is three NCAA tournament misses in a row, might be enough to ask for major program changes. It might even justify a head coach change. However, if he had a Top 10, unanimous 5 star, level recruit coming in, that might justify giving him one more year to reverse course with the assumption being that this kid is immediate impact material.
You just pile crazy on top of crazy.

Reaction Score
Where do you see Purvis going exactly? An undersized two guard who has no intermediate game and can't make layups isn't going to get drafted. I'm being serious, do you think he'll leave to go to Europe?

Yes, he's old and he'll make good money overseas. He could come back next year if he wants to graduate and needs the year to accomplish that. Otherwise, he should go earn and save ASAP. He'll make a lot more money per year in Europe than he'll make with a degree here. The clock is ticking and he's got to know he isn't an NBA player at this point.

Reaction Score
I think that's actually the general consensus around here. Another year isn't going to make him into an NBA player so why not get paid now?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If the Adams-Hamilton-Brimah big three, along with senior Facey and Soph Enoch can't win in this confrence... We may have to go coach shopping. I'm not sure who will start at the 2, but I really think Gilbert, like Adams, can come in and be more productive than Gibbs. The only thing this team should lack next year is shooting, and that's assuming nobody improves their shot. Either way, three tornament misses in a row is unacceptable, and IMO that should mean at least changes to the assistant coaching staff, as that would mean players have not developed at a productive rate.

Reaction Score
The only thing this team should lack next year is shooting, and that's assuming nobody improves their shot. Either way, three tornament misses in a row is unacceptable, and IMO that should mean at least changes to the assistant coaching staff, as that would mean players have not developed at a productive rate.

Errr..... Shooting is important.

3 tournament misses in a row?

UConn is going to miss the tournament this year?

Reaction Score
Errr..... Shooting is important.

3 tournament misses in a row?

UConn is going to miss the tournament this year?
This year would hypothetically make 2 misses in a row, unless he's counting a national championship as a tournament miss.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This year would hypothetically make 2 misses in a row, unless he's counting a national championship as a tournament miss.

Well since we weren't dominant during the regular season, does that last one really count? :eek:

Reaction Score
He's counting next year, too. So not only have we given up on this year, despite being basically a tournament lock, but we've preemptively decided that next year's team also won't be good enough.
You all missed one important word in his post....IF. People are so damn literal on this board. All he's saying, for those of you too dumb or lazy to actually use your interpretation skills instead of just reading words, is that IF we miss this year and IF we miss next year as well, there need to be changes. And I think he's absolutely right. There is enough talent on this team, this year, to make the tourney and win a few games, and we know there will be next year as well. It was a hypothetical statement, certainly not the first on this board, and not one that is that outrageous if you actually took the time to understand his point.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think if Ollie loses out this year, goes .500 next year, and gets caught with a recruit's mother next summer, he should be fired.

Reaction Score
You all missed one important word in his post....IF. People are so damn literal on this board. All he's saying, for those of you too dumb or lazy to actually use your interpretation skills instead of just reading words, is that IF we miss this year and IF we miss next year as well, there need to be changes. And I think he's absolutely right. There is enough talent on this team, this year, to make the tourney and win a few games, and we know there will be next year as well. It was a hypothetical statement, certainly not the first on this board, and not one that is that outrageous if you actually took the time to understand his point.
Sure, missing the tournament 3 years in a row is bad for a program like UConn. But with only 4 games left in the regular season, it's pretty clear which teams are going to make the tournament. UConn's resume is solid enough to be considered one of them. Thus, the hypothetical that he presented - UConn missing 3 straight tournaments - made no sense.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Th
Thank you.

Sure, missing the tournament 3 years in a row is bad for a program like UConn. But with only 4 games left in the regular season, it's pretty clear which teams are going to make the tournament. UConn's resume is solid enough to be considered one of them. Thus, the hypothetical that he presented - UConn missing 3 straight tournaments - made no sense.
I don't think we're in until we beat SMU again and at least make it past the first two rounds in the American. The only tournament lock in this conference is the champion of the league, and we are in no way guaranteed to win our tournament. People forget the lack of respect this conference gets.

Reaction Score
Your rationale is irrational. Do you truly believe we’d be better off without Ollie and that there would be someone better suited to run this program than the man who brought it back from borderline irrelevance and kept us as a national contender while improving each and every recruiting class – with a top-10 class yet to set foot on campus? The man, who played for Connecticut, played under HOF coaches in both college and NBA, and THE man who ALREADY won a National Championship (TWO years ago)?
Hypothetical: IF Ollie was never made coach at UCONN, the Men’s Basketball program COULD still be spiraling downward.

Show some loyalty

Reaction Score
Th

I don't think we're in until we beat SMU again and at least make it past the first two rounds in the American. The only tournament lock in this conference is the champion of the league, and we are in no way guaranteed to win our tournament. People forget the lack of respect this conference gets.

If that's what you believe, then you really must not know much about the bubble landscape throughout the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom