SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
When I'm to lazy to go to campus, I think of the dairy bar. Never fails

Reaction Score
Love this kid. He's got a good balance of being outgoing and light hearted with driven and committed.

Reaction Score
Jackson is an absolute freak athlete who needs to tighten up his handle and shot a ton. He reminds me a lot of Wiggins, but I think Jackson has a better feel for the game. This is a huge compliment. I love that Vance is matching up with him in practice every day.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Vance is definitely not that athletic. He's got really poor ups and dunking ability for a kid his size. BUT, he seems very skilled, especially on that baseline move toward the beginning of this video. He's also just a lights out shooter. He's gonna be a rich man's Niels Giffey by the time he is an upperclassmen at UConn.

Reaction Score
Vance is definitely not that athletic. He's got really poor ups and dunking ability for a kid his size. BUT, he seems very skilled, especially on that baseline move toward the beginning of this video. He's also just a lights out shooter. He's gonna be a rich man's Niels Giffey by the time he is an upperclassmen at UConn.

That step through was beautiful. Vance is going to be an amazing stretch 4 for KO.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We have enough raw athleticism on this team, we could use a guy who is exceptionally skilled coming in, it seems like that has been a rarity for UConn as of late.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
We have enough raw athleticism on this team, we could use a guy who is exceptionally skilled coming in, it seems like that has been a rarity for UConn as of late.
I agree. Having Gilbert, Adams, Hamidou (god willing) & Larrier around a guy like Vance will be great. He's going to spread the floor.

Reaction Score

That's what I'm hoping he'll become. A deep-threat three or stretch four depending on the lineup that can do all the glue-type things while being lethal from outside. Senior year Giffey was a hell of a player.

Reaction Score
That's what I'm hoping he'll become. A deep-threat three or stretch four depending on the lineup that can do all the glue-type things while being lethal from outside. Senior year Giffey was a hell of a player.
People seem to forget how good an athlete Giffey was. Niels could defend most 3s and some 4s. I think Vance will struggle to keep in front of a lot of wings, but hopefully he'll make up for it with lights out shooting.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget how good an athlete Giffey was. Niels could defend most 3s and some 4s. I think Vance will struggle to keep in front of a lot of wings, but hopefully he'll make up for it with lights out shooting.

Ehh, he was a good defender because he was a max effort guy on defense, who had the IQ and strength to make up for some athletic deficiencies. I think you're overstating his athletic ability because Neils struggled to stay in front of some of the more athletic wings too. He does have better quickness than Vance but I'm hoping the size difference will help to make him a passable defender. I don't think he'll be as good as Neils though so I agree with that.

Reaction Score
And of course we'll display oodles of patience. It's hard to forget Neils's top skill as a frosh and soph was his pivot.

Reaction Score
Wednesday is early signing day. The day a lot of the anxiety over recruiting comes to a close. Nov. 18th is the day we can begin anxiously worrying about Diallo, Zach Brown, Makai A-L, and the rest....

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ehh, he was a good defender because he was a max effort guy on defense, who had the IQ and strength to make up for some athletic deficiencies. I think you're overstating his athletic ability because Neils struggled to stay in front of some of the more athletic wings too. He does have better quickness than Vance but I'm hoping the size difference will help to make him a passable defender. I don't think he'll be as good as Neils though so I agree with that.

Niels, at times throughout his four years at UConn, covered all five positions on the floor. He was a terrific athlete.

Reaction Score
Niels, at times throughout his four years at UConn, covered all five positions on the floor. He was a terrific athlete.
I agree. I don't mean to turn this into a white black thing, but I think because he was white some didn't see him as athletic. He could get well above the rim. He showed some blow-by ability his last two seasons getting into the paint off the dribble and flushing it when he had a clear path to the rim.

Now I'm not saying he was an uber-athletic wing, but he was above average. Vance, from the little I saw of him, didn't look particularly quick and explosive, but that doesn't mean he won't be a productive player, particularly on offense. Larry Bird didn't exactly get far off the ground, though he was big, but he had a great handle, big-time BBIQ, and a quick and accurate shot from all over the floor. He was a good rebounder too. Not comparing Vance to Larry for a moment here, but my point is good basketball players learn to make up for their deficiencies by getting the most out of their strengths. I like a lot what I see in Vance, just a tad concerned about his defense trying to defend quicker 3s if he's at the 3 and stronger 4s if he's at the 4. I think ultimately his position will be a stretch-4 as he matures and gets stronger.

I tend to like the more athletic type at the wing, 2 and 1, but there's always room for smart ballers who can hit diggers especially during winning time, ala Rashad Anderson. I'm just not sure Vance will be a 30+ minute guy, though I see him as a solid contributor and a match-up challenge especially when we need a zone-buster type perimeter player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom