SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn players who didn't start as freshmen included Deandre Daniels, Shabazz Napier, Ray Allen, Jeff Adrien, Charley Villanueva and Ben Gordon. Oh -- and Kevin Ollie. Not all really outstanding college players start -- or get all the minutes they want -- as a freshman. Even if -- God forbid -- people who sell opinions on players for a salary think they are "elite."
UConn players who didn't start as freshmen included Deandre Daniels, Shabazz Napier, Ray Allen, Jeff Adrien, Charley Villanueva and Ben Gordon. Oh -- and Kevin Ollie. Not all really outstanding college players start -- or get all the minutes they want -- as a freshman. Even if -- God forbid -- people who sell opinions on players for a salary think they are "elite."

Reaction Score
Show me where I said anything about starting? I said "playing time." I think you would be in the minority if you think he wouldn't get major minutes as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 3h3 hours ago
2016 prospect Sacha Killeya-Jones has decommitted from Virginia, his coach confirmed to ESPN. Four-star power forward.

Maybe he is going to Virginia... could be why this happen.

Sure, I can see Tony Bennett's thinking:

1. Get a secret commit from VJ King
2. Immediately call and tell Sacha Killeya-Jones
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!

Y'all need to understand UVA fans. They think UVA is both the greatest and the worst all at the same time. You can't put any stock in anything you read on a UVA board.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'd rather watch Terrence Samuel turn the ball over 50 times a game than watch UVA pound it at the top of the key for 34 seconds.

If he wants to go there and play in that offense have fun.

Reaction Score
Louisville is also the unanimous Chrystal Ball favorite for Maverick Rowan (SF '16) out of FL. VJ is slightly higher rated but not by much.

Reaction Score
Show me where I said anything about starting? I said "playing time." I think you would be in the minority if you think he wouldn't get major minutes as a freshman.

I think it is "likely" that he gets major minutes as a frosh anywhere. My point, however, is that no one -- especially not high school kids -- can look at a roster and determine how large their role will be as frosh. It will depend how good they actually are when they get there and how chemistry works with them in and out of the lineup. When Jeff Adrien was a frosh in '05--'06, you couldn' look at star ratings and know he'd have a relatively insignificant role because of Hilton Armstrong's emergence. If you looked just as star ratings, you would have assumed Adrien would have had much more of an impact.

Reaction Score
I'd rather watch Terrence Samuel turn the ball over 50 times a game than watch UVA pound it at the top of the key for 34 seconds.

If he wants to go there and play in that offense have fun.

The one thing you respect about a kid who chooses Bennett and UVA is he is pretty grounded. I mean they know going in this is the polar opposite of Syracuse. You will play defense and you will play it every second to your max plus. So while I agree they're offense isn't pretty they have kids who buy in to a plan and one that has been pretty successful as of late.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The one thing you respect about a kid who chooses Bennett and UVA is he is pretty grounded. I mean they know going in this is the polar opposite of Syracuse. You will play defense and you will play it every second to your max plus. So while I agree they're offense isn't pretty they have kids who buy in to a plan and one that has been pretty successful as of late.
I agree there however some top recruits would prefer a more up-tempo offense. It highlights their skills more and is all-around more fun to play in. We'll have to see where King lies.

Reaction Score
I agree there however some top recruits would prefer a more up-tempo offense. It highlights their skills more and is all-around more fun to play in. We'll have to see where King lies.

Virginia averaged more points per game than we did last year (65.3 to 64.2)... While Virginia clearly plays a more methodical half-court than we do, we aren't exactly a running or up-tempo team anymore. The last 6 years have essentially revolved around a stud point guard taking contested shots.

Reaction Score
Virginia averaged more points per game than we did last year (65.3 to 64.2)... While Virginia clearly plays a more methodical half-court than we do, we aren't exactly a running or up-tempo team anymore. The last 6 years have essentially revolved around a stud point guard taking contested shots.

I mean I get that Kemba/Bazz/AJ/Boat were the centerpieces of their teams offensively, but if the offense is what you described then certain guys don't exist. I know your statement isn't meant to be taken at its literal sense, but in 2014 we had an offense built around high ball screens and shooters spread out over the court, DeAndre doesn't have the type of tourney he had if it was just all about Bazz playing hero ball, same with Lamb in 2011. Having that one guy who could take bail out shots at the end of shot clock situations is pretty much essential to any team that wants to win in basketball, but I wouldn't reduce the last 6 years or so to just that.

Reaction Score

This is true but only because we've lacked an inside game since Adrien and Thabeet left. Kemba, Bazz and Boat had no one to throw the ball in the post to and let them do their thing. Instead it always came back out and they had to take the shot.

Reaction Score
I guess my point is if I'm a wing guy, I wouldn't say our offense is as appealing as it once was (I know offense as a whole is pretty putrid in CBB). While I wouldn't signify our PGs as playing pure "hero" ball, a vast amount of our possessions relied on them making and taking tough, tough shots.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
I guess my point is if I'm a wing guy, I wouldn't say our offense is as appealing as it once was (I know offense as a whole is pretty putrid in CBB). While I wouldn't signify our PGs as playing pure "hero" ball, a vast amount of our possessions relied on them making and taking tough, tough shots.

By necessity, not design.

Reaction Score
By necessity, not design.

Truth... But will we be able to sell that to a top wing guy when we have basically 6 years of replication of this necessity? The original context of all this is someone basically saying that King is going to have choose between playing in a half-court system like Virginia or an up-tempo system like us or 'Ville. I don't think we've been an up-tempo team since, what, 2009?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Truth... But we will be able to sell that to a top wing guy when we have basically 6 years of replication of this necessity? The original context of all this is someone basically saying that King is going to have choose between playing in a half-court system like Virginia or an up-tempo system like us or 'Ville. I don't think we've been an up-tempo team since, what, 2009?

C,mon I read all the time where kids like the way we run! LOL.....I guess they don't get home from practice that much for last years first halves huh?:eek:

Reaction Score
Truth... But we will be able to sell that to a top wing guy when we have basically 6 years of replication of this necessity? The original context of all this is someone basically saying that King is going to have choose between playing in a half-court system like Virginia or an up-tempo system like us or 'Ville. I don't think we've been an up-tempo team since, what, 2009?

During that time frame, we've also had a wing player drafted in the lottery and could have another on the roster as we speak.

And Louisville may play a "faster" game in the sense that they try and speed it up with their press. But their offense has a tendency to be just as much of a mess as ours. And what wing players are they parading around as success stories?

Reaction Score
During that time frame, we've also had a wing player drafted in the lottery and could have another on the roster as we speak.

And Louisville may play a "faster" game in the sense that they try and speed it up with their press. But their offense has a tendency to be just as much of a mess as ours. And what wing players are they parading around as success stories?

Scary thing is without points off their defense in which as you say they look to be speeding up, they're offense was really stagnant last year a lot. But they do take full advantage of their defensive scheme to get more shots than a lot of teams or at least it seems.

Reaction Score

Louisville's offense is putrid... Never said it was any good.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lousisvilles offense is terrible. It's masked by their pressure defense

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Scary thing is without points off their defense in which as you say they look to be speeding up, they're offense was really stagnant last year a lot. But they do take full advantage of their defensive scheme to get more shots than a lot of teams or at least it seems.
Plus they have had some solid bigs the last few years. (Dieng and Harrell). Russ Smith was basically Boatright. Very talented undersized guard. They haven't had a solid 2/3 other than him in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom