SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Is there one example of a kid going on his mission and returning to the court a measurably worse player? I can't think of any. BYU football and basketball success was built on the shoulders of players who did just that.

Granted, most of them aren't top 100 rated kids coming out of high school but I doubt the downside is really that big. I'd also almost guarantee his mission would take place in a locale where he could find a regular game. They aren't sending him to the rainforest.
I think you answered your own question - name one top 100 kid who has gone on a mission and returned and went on to big things after putting college athletics on hold. There is too much at stake to have this mission while you are being heavily recruited by top notch colleges who can offer you a real shot at getting to the next level

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think you answered your own question - name one top 100 kid who has gone on a mission and returned and went on to big things after putting college athletics on hold. There is too much at stake to have this mission while you are being heavily recruited by top notch colleges who can offer you a real shot at getting to the next level

Shawn Bradley.

Reaction Score
Shawn Bradley.

Technically, Bradley never returned to BYU, but went directly into NBA Draft after his mission. ;)

BYU has TJ Hawes on a mission now & he was a top 100 player last year. His older brother is a big time scorer at BYU and TJ seems to be similar according to his reviews.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Technically, Bradley never returned to BYU, but went directly into NBA Draft after his mission. ;)

BYU has TJ Hawes on a mission now & he was a top 100 player last year. His older brother is a big time scorer at BYU and TJ seems to be similar according to his reviews.

I know, but technically he went on his mission, returned, and did big things after putting college athletics on hold which fits the criteria of Silk's question. ;)

TJ Hawes is a nice one. He could do big things, too.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Shawn Bradley.
Ok that's a good one. Shawn Bradley and Brendan Bailey's case is in way similar. Bradley a 7+ footer who was a shoe in to make the league. Bailey, while a very nice looking prospect is not guaranteed anything.

Anyway my point is that while it certainly can happen, you don't see it happening for obvious reasons

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My question was has there ever been a kid who went on a mission and came back measurably worse. I assume their have been hundreds in multiple sports. I suspect they would provide a good guide for Bailey even if they weren't top talents.

Reaction Score
This guy wants to do something for his faith? C'mon away with him and Diallo - please stop recruiting him. :confused:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Like his game, but pass... He could lose a lot by not playing for 2 years. Best of luck to him
That's not how it works, especially for a kid whose only knock is that he's too skinny.

Christ man, getting a jump on the 2018 recruiting class by bringing in a 6-foot-8, 20-year-old knockdown shooter with NBA genes? And you say "pass"? That's nuts even by Boneyard standards.

Even if Bailey says he's going to double his mission and won't play a minute til 2020, we take him.

Reaction Score
all those BYU kids that take missions don't really seem to suffer by taking a couple years off, look at the numbers Tyler Hawes has put up the past few years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm the only one who thinks taking 2 years off from basketball could hurt him? Can't we recruit him in 2018 if he's still this good? I wouldn't risk a scholly on someone who could be a question mark in 2 years...

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I'm the only one who thinks taking 2 years off from basketball could hurt him? Can't we recruit him in 2018 if he's still this good? I wouldn't risk a scholly on someone who could be a question mark in 2 years...
Yea, Im not worried about it. Neither are lots of other schools clearly as he continues to get looks left and right. Get em to Storrs and work off the "rust"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

By George, the false narrative here really is something.

Reaction Score
I assume there is no time to work on your game nor are there basketball courts on this mission?

Reaction Score
Those BYU kids go on missions all the time and then step right back into high level basketball. It's actually sort of amazing. I guess that's clean living.

This is like adding a JUCO, but one with 4 years of eligibility. Seems like only a positive.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I assume there is no time to work on your game nor are there basketball courts on this mission?
You're not allowed to play fullcourt, or any leagues. But you can play half-court all day long and lots of them do. I suspect Bailey will shoot a million jumpers over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
If he wants to be 2018 he shouldn't commit to any program until 2017 at the earliest in my opinion. The college won't know what their getting and who knows how he will feel as a teenager in 3 years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If he wants to be 2018 he shouldn't commit to any program until 2017 at the earliest in my opinion. The college won't know what their getting and who knows how he will feel as a teenager in 3 years.

I haven't once heard of a recruit committing after a mission. They want a guaranteed (LOI-wise) place that they know will have a spot for them on the team when they come back. After two years, there's no telling which coaches will still remember them/not be busy with high schoolers.

Reaction Score
I haven't once heard of a recruit committing after a mission. They want a guaranteed (LOI-wise) place that they know will have a spot for them on the team when they come back. After two years, there's no telling which coaches will still remember them/not be busy with high schoolers.

I don't see how committing 3 years before going to college is a good idea for either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom