SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
ITT: People trying their hardest to be politically correct angels but if they were interviewing potential candidates for a job at their own company they would pass on anyone who said they had to take a 2 year mission before starting the job. The simple truth of the matter is that you have no way of know what, or even who is returning to the states in two years time. He could go on a mission trip and realize he wants to do something different when he returns, it happens all the time, and UConn is not the type of program to "roll the dice" on guys like this because they simply dont need to.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
ITT: People trying their hardest to be politically correct angels but if they were interviewing potential candidates for a job at their own company they would pass on anyone who said they had to take a 2 year mission before starting the job. The simple truth of the matter is that you have no way of know what, or even who is returning to the states in two years time. He could go on a mission trip and realize he wants to do something different when he returns, it happens all the time, and UConn is not the type of program to "roll the dice" on guys like this because they simply dont need to.

A person who is going to do a 2 year Mormon mission isn't going to waste their time applying for a long-term job, so that point is moot.

BYU has to deal with their players potentially going on their missions every season and they seem to do just fine. A guy who leaves and then comes back doesn't dramatically change all of a sudden so I'm not sure what you are implying there.

If Bailey decides that he wants to do something different then fine. What's the worst that could happen? He decommits and Ollie has to go after someone else in 2018? That isn't something to get this paranoid about.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
The kid can shoot the ball - 2 years won't change that. If he wants to come here, take the verbal, have the early start for 2018. Then when comes he'll be mentally and physically more mature. If somehow his mission gives him a change of heart, it's not like Ollie won't be recruiting other guys in 2018 just because. He's all upside, whether we take him in 16, 17 or 18.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Why not? Keep recruiting like you normally do, and if the guy returns, great. If not, you've still been filling out your roster in the mean time. No player worth his
salt is going to be scared away by a guy who's been away from the game for two years on a mission.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Back in the day, many Mormon missions in Africa and South America were near alligator/crocodile infested waters. The rule was simply for pragmatic reasons.
The rule is still implemented to this day, no matter if ur mission is in Africa or Appleton Wisconsin. Hey each to their own, that's what I say, but sometimes crazy is just that, crazy.
Missionaries, are also not allowed to wake up out of bed, unless their fellow partner gets up simultaneously.:eek:

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
BYU has to deal with their players potentially going on their missions every season and they seem to do just fine. A guy who leaves and then comes back doesn't dramatically change all of a sudden so I'm not sure what you are implying there.
From a Mormon perspective it's kinda hard to compare BYU to UConn. It's a very high honor for a Mormon to get accepted to BYU. More times than not, BYU (athletic) missionaries are almost assured of coming back to BYU just due to the honor of graduating from there. Is UConn viewed in the same light as BYU , to a Mormon, probably not. That's why it's trickier for UConn, but nonetheless, I'd offer Bailey, and still try to recruit over him during those two years, just to cover our butts.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

It's "rolling the dice" because of the alarmist attitude you choose to take and nothing more.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
From a Mormon perspective it's kinda hard to compare BYU to UConn. It's a very high honor for a Mormon to get accepted to BYU. More times than not, BYU (athletic) missionaries are almost assured of coming back to BYU just due to the honor of graduating from there. Is UConn viewed in the same light as BYU , to a Mormon, probably not. That's why it's trickier for UConn, but nonetheless, I'd offer Bailey, and still try to recruit over him during those two years, just to cover our butts.

Well yeah, BYU looks a lot more favorably to a Mormon from Utah rather than UConn. However, BYU isn't on his list and none of the schools that Bailey has on his list are schools with a sizable group of Mormon students. Heck, at one point Bailey was committed to Arizona State. I don't think going to a Mormon school ranks that high when it comes to where Bailey wants to go to school.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's "rolling the dice" because of the alarmist attitude you choose to take and nothing more.
:rolleyes: right, because I was clearly being alarmist. Some of you guys are real drama queens.

All im saying is this kid is good, but its not like we are talking about the next Kevin Durant here. The kid is good, if he wants to come here then great, otherwise all Im saying is if Ollie backs off then we will know why, and I wouldnt blame him one bit for doing so.

Obviously if this kid verbals he can change his mind and Ollie would just look elsewhere, but consider the time and resources Ollie needs to put into a recruit, not just Bailey. Is the potential he brings to the team worth the potential time and opportunity cost Ollie would put in for him? Sometimes when you put too many eggs in a basket and it doesnt work out, you cant simply go back and pull in an equal recruit at his spot late in the game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Have we run out of 2018 scholarships offers? I didn't think so. This is so silly. Roger Staubach , David Robinson and Pat Tillman all put country above sports and and I would love any of them on UConn's teams.
I'm about as atheistic as your gonna find here but it is still very easy for me to respect and admire anyone's faith commitment like this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The rule is still implemented to this day, no matter if ur mission is in Africa or Appleton Wisconsin. Hey each to their own, that's what I say, but sometimes crazy is just that, crazy.
Missionaries, are also not allowed to wake up out of bed, unless their fellow partner gets up simultaneously.:eek:

For the record, I completely made that up.

But it's probably true.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Stop.

No one applies for a job when they're about to leave for two years.

And UConn has rolled the dice on far riskier propositions than this kid. They've offered scholarships to kids who have no business suiting up at this level and those kids have actually accepted to their mutual harm.

Offering a kid who might not return from a mission in two years? Meh - not even a risk.

pj

Reaction Score
At least Bailey looks like he could end up at more than 110lbs.

An aside, googling 'Brendan Bailey UCONN' reveals this pic (4th one in):

5260.jpg

You stalking @Stairmaster?

One thing you have to give @Stairmaster credit for, he's got good length.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I assume there is no time to work on your game nor are there basketball courts on this mission?
Missionary work is most likely "10 toes in". Probably not a lot of time or facilities to be doing "Every Day Ray" workouts. Staying in decent physical shape maybe but character and selfless dedication count a lot and are portable assets. Just my thoughts but I think a lot of a man or woman who has those kind of character attributes. Hope he becomes a Husky

Reaction Score
More surprised that Michigan who he seems to know nothing about from his comments made it. Visit either did not go well or it was clear he was not a high priority Since the next time he meets with Michigan will be the first

Reaction Score
Think we wanted him only for 2016 - my guess is that once it became known that he wanted to take a two year mission, UConn may have lost interest as they didn't seem to track him much during July. Also, there's no reason to waste an official visit on a kid you don't want, so I think two year mission was a deal breaker for UConn.

Reaction Score
Think we wanted him only for 2016 - my guess is that once it became known that he wanted to take a two year mission, UConn may have lost interest as they didn't seem to track him much during July. Also, there's no reason to waste an official visit on a kid you don't want, so I think two year mission was a deal breaker for UConn.

I agree. Really wanted this kid though. He has a great jumpshot. I guess were focusing on getting Powell and Diallo for our guards now.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Ehh the kid looks soft anyways..... No room for timid'ness in UConn Territory

Next

pj

Reaction Score
If we can pull in Powell and Gabriel we would replace his skill set.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
no problem with the staff backing off...seems like a similar situation to Bruce Brown. They clearly wanted Brown if he re-classified to 2015 but once he didn't they cooled. Now that Bailey seems like he's dead set on missioning then they would rather turn their focus elsewhere

Reaction Score
^ people are still bitching we aren't recruiting brown anymore, surprised those big guns aren't all over the staff for missing out on bailey .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom