Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
The tried Gaffney, Polley, Tyrese, Jackson, and Whaley.

What did you watch?
I agree. Personnel wise they tried everything. I don’t love the idea of bringing a double to a point guard who could pass well out of it. The answer was probably zone.

Hopefully that is something that comes out of this game and they practice it.

But with Hurley’s track record and the lack of practice time between games. I doubt it.

Reaction Score
We played a great game— man I wish we could’ve won. Nothing bad here folks— we played great with a great chance to win it. Hurley coached great players played great we simply didn’t win. That’s that . Great game I hope we sustain the play going forward. We will just get better

Reaction Score
I thought Hurley coached a pretty good game with the exception of the ob play on the last possession of regulation and the second to last possession of ot.

With the long layoff, Hurley had good substitution patterns getting guys rest when needed. Played the hot hands and realized a couple of times when he tried to go small ball that it wasn’t working and got bigs back in.

Another game that could have been won.
He let Richmond score 20 straight and did not double or force him out. He just tried different players on him. Once we forced him to pass he turned it over. Bad coaching.

Reaction Score
Poor late-game execution by the guards and coaches. It was great to be in it to the end... this team is so much fun to watch. But we need to get over this hump. MSU, Providence, WVU, and now Seton Hall? Heck, even the Auburn and VCU wins we almost threw away late. The late-game breakdowns are shocking.

Part of the problem is not having a savvy backup guard. Gaffney just isn't ready for these moments mentally. But this has been a pattern for years now--some of that has to go back to coaching at a certain point.
Gonna end up with a cr@ppy seed and making it out of the first weekend is starting to feel like a longshot. Not where I expected UConn would be in year 4 of this thing.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Tough game…Richmond was unstoppable, you cant double team him when he has shooters to kick out to. Needed to get a shot on that last possession. We also go into foul trouble way too early in the 2nd half

Reaction Score
Whaley seemed out if it today. The sequence where he received the ball and had a wide open path for a dunk but inside (twice) kicked it out to the perimeter was bizarre.

Reaction Score
I agree. Personnel wise they tried everything. I don’t love the idea of bringing a double to a point guard who could pass well out of it. The answer was probably zone.

But with Hurley’s track record and the lack of practice time between games. I doubt it.
Nope can’t let him score 20 straight and not double. PG or not. Kemba was a PG.

Reaction Score
Tough game…Richmond was unstoppable, you cant double team him when he has shooters to kick out to. Needed to get a shot on that last possession. We also go into foul trouble way too early in the 2nd half
Lol make them shooters hit them then let him beat you.

Reaction Score
Happy with it. Obviously the win would be better. Obviously it’s frustrating to lose a winnable game. But we looked a LOT better than I expected after a 3 week pause and a bunch of guys getting over covid.
That's the silver lining I'm trying to cling to.

Reaction Score
I don't know why teams, namely us, insist on running the shot clock down before going in for a shot. It leaves no time to set anything up and the shot either gets blocked, turns into a desperation heave, or the shot doesn't get off at all.

Until Hurley learns how to navigate these late game situations, we'll continue to play teams tough but lose at crunch time.

Reaction Score

The answer wasn’t zone. The answer was running a second defender at him to make him give the ball up and rotate. We didn’t force him to pass once when he scored 17 straight. That’s unacceptable at any level.

Reaction Score
I don't know why teams, namely us, insist on running the shot clock down before going in for a shot. It leaves no time to set anything up and the shot either gets blocked, turns into a desperation heave, or the shot doesn't get off at all.

Until Hurley learns how to navigate these late game situations, we'll continue to play teams tough but lose at crunch time.
If you have a playmaker who can break down the defense to create a shot, or even take it himself, it makes sense. We didn't have that on the floor though, so I can't imagine what the thinking was there.

Reaction Score
Nope can’t let him score 20 straight and not double. PG or not. Kemba was a PG.
Kemba is 6 foot. Hard to pass over a double. Richmond is 6’6.

I agree we needed a change. But I would rather zone so you can help off your zone and easier for the rest of the team to rotate.

Reaction Score
We played a great game— man I wish we could’ve won. Nothing bad here folks— we played great with a great chance to win it. Hurley coached great players played great we simply didn’t win. That’s that . Great game I hope we sustain the play going forward. We will just get better
He Cooked Martin for probably 15 of his points. I know what I watched, the game literally just ended
You clearly weren’t paying attention
Kemba is 6 foot. Hard to pass over a double. Richmond is 6’6.

I agree we needed a changed. But I would rather zone so you can help off your zone and easier for the rest of the team to rotate.
Make him do it first before you let him score 29 straight and beat you by himself.

Reaction Score
He Cooked Martin for probably 15 of his points. I know what I watched, the game literally just ended
Watch the replay he scored on almost every player we have. The better stat would be to see who actually stopped him from scoring the most when he had the ball. I think it would be Martin but he didn’t miss many. The one double we brought with Whaley he passed it for an easy dunk and the guy dropped it out of bounds luckily.

Reaction Score
The answer wasn’t zone. The answer was running a second defender at him to make him give the ball up and rotate. We didn’t force him to pass once when he scored 17 straight. That’s unacceptable at any level.
THIS. I was screaming this and still saying it to everyone who defends Hurley for not doubling.

Reaction Score
It’s 2022. Most of you posters need to come up with a better schtick after a loss.

It’s almost like you didn’t even watch the game.

This was a classic top-tier BE battle. Both teams did great and horrible things throughout the game. Refs served up a little home cooking here and there.

I agree we need to find a way to win more of these games.

The high pick and roll play at the end of regulation was 100% fine… It had been working quite a bit all day.

End of OT play sucked. Not because of the play but Because of lack of proper execution.

I’m ecstatic with how the guys played overall given all the COVID cases and the 19 day layoff.

I’m sure many of them weren’t at 100% physically for playing such a high-level game. Gutsy.

this place is insufferable!

Reaction Score
Watch the replay he scored on almost every player we have. The better stat would be to see who actually stopped him from scoring the most when he had the ball. I think it would be Martin but he didn’t miss many. The one double we brought with Whaley he passed it for an easy dunk and the guy dropped it out of bounds luckily.
Nope. Re watch that play. Sanogo jumped in front and missed it first then the SH player did.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe we didn’t go get a guard this off-season.
it makes me wonder if they are too loyal to kids they like personally or the assistants are just echo chambers, because it was so obvious we had no ball handlers except combo Cole who is a warrior and gets every thing from his ability but way below average athlete.

can u imagine if Cole moves on? We’ll be in a world of hurt. Crazy as good a recruiting staff as we have they can’t find a point guard they’re willing to play or a quick combo that can dribble. Played well today, that ball handler is the difference time after time.

Almost always a run when Cole goes to the bench.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying it all season. Our team is so limited because we have MAYBE 2 guys who can actually put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. We were up 9 and Willard decided to let Kadary do exactly that no stop. And we did nothing to stop it. We threw a second guy at him after he had scored like 20 straight points. But the fact that Andre is literally allergic to driving to the rim for some reason, Cole is too slow to get past his defender, and you never know if Tyrese really cares about playing that hard, we have no consistent threat to go to the rim and get a foul call. Floyd may help next year, but who else? Hawkins can’t dribble or pass at this point. Gaff is just Gaff. This roster just isn’t assembled to be a great team.

Reaction Score
Whaley seemed out if it today. The sequence where he received the ball and had a wide open path for a dunk but inside (twice) kicked it out to the perimeter was bizarre.
More than bizarre! We often turn down dunks for harder shots... Why? Because it might be a 3 pointer?

Reaction Score
Year 4 and talent is still an issue.

Seton Hall has two really good guards. We have one decent one.

That last set was certainly something.

I can’t believe we didn’t go get a guard this off-season.

Akok isn’t there defensively but Whaley isn’t good and got abused too. Difference is, Akok can shoot the ball.

Happy to watch basketball again.
We did pick up two guards last recruiting class. People keep saying we need more guards. We have one in street clothes and one glued to the bench.

Reaction Score
For me the issue was the same issue we've had all year. Guards are good. Not great. And we really don't have a backup pg. I know the Cuse transfer killed us, but we had a chance to win late. Never even got a shot with our one reliable guard out.

Anyways, good game. Team played well despite the loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom