Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Russ Steinberg of A Dime Back and I chatted for some group therapy post game... we both left it feeling better

Reaction Score
That’s my point. Dan can be as proud as he wants that he didn’t take a transfer, but he could have improved the roster, and he didn’t.
Not taking transfers?? 2 of the best players on this team are transfers.

Reaction Score
It's not that Richmond roasted us--players have hot games--but the how: it's inexcusable to let a player pound the rock literally (and I mean literally) 15-20 times on a single possession like a dude at the park probing the D and slowly working his way into a quality shot within 12'.

It's generally taught that you don't want to take more than three dribbles when you put the ball on the deck to attack because the help will get you; Richmond had no reason to worry about that today. He could dribble over and over and over again until he got a look he liked. To allow that is horrendous defense no matter how you slice it.

You don't have to double. You can stunt, you can sag off more, you can play zone on alternating possessions, or you can just double the damn kid here and there and see what happens. You must disrupt the rhythm of a player in that situation. This isn't LeBron we're talking about here. It's a kid on Seton Hall averaging 7 PPG. I've been patient with Hurley but this was as bad as it gets from an adjustment perspective.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying it all season. Our team is so limited because we have MAYBE 2 guys who can actually put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. We were up 9 and Willard decided to let Kadary do exactly that no stop. And we did nothing to stop it. We threw a second guy at him after he had scored like 20 straight points. But the fact that Andre is literally allergic to driving to the rim for some reason, Cole is too slow to get past his defender, and you never know if Tyrese really cares about playing that hard, we have no consistent threat to go to the rim and get a foul call. Floyd may help next year, but who else? Hawkins can’t dribble or pass at this point. Gaff is just Gaff. This roster just isn’t assembled to be a great team.
Its hard to win close games against good teams without ball handlers. We have too many so called guards on our roster that can't handle the ball against good on ball defense.

Reaction Score
1617CB55-B7E2-4AC0-ACAB-24E26968842D.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m getting pretty tired of the Andre Jackson experiment. If he can’t shoot, and right now he can’t, he needs to do everything else well every game or he’s a waste of spacing out there on the court, and today was not a sterling showing. You can’t be airballing wide open 3’s as a college guard. I think he has a tantalizing set of tools but right now he’s a net negative some games, and deserves less time.

This is a .500 team without Cole.

I love Hurley. I think he recruits well. But these are the games we have to win to keep progressing as a program, and I’m afraid we’re stalling out.

Finally - UConn came to prominence on the back of its defenses. You knew if you played uconn, even if the shots weren’t falling, you were in for a rock fight. Now we look awful. Whaley went from DPOY to getting consistently bullied inside. No one can keep their man in front of them. Poor rotations. Looks like everyone is playing in cement shoes.

Apologies for the semi rant, but this is a pretty talented team that should be better. Year 4 of Hurley and it seems like more of the same

Reaction Score
I’m getting pretty tired of the Andre Jackson experiment. If he can’t shoot, and right now he can’t, he needs to do everything else well every game he’s a waste out there on the court, and today was not a sterling showing. You can’t be airballing wide open 3’s as a college guard. I think he has a tantalizing set of tools but right now he’s a net negative sometimes.
This is a strange post to make after a game where he had 10 points and 6 rebounds and shot 2/3 from 3 point range

Reaction Score
If you told me we would outrebound seton hall 40 to 25, we would shoot 91% from the line, make 14 threes shooting 60%, and have 7 different players hit from deep, I'd like our chances against most teams. Kadary Richmond beat every player on our team 1x1 and it was up to Hurley to change the scheme by double teaming or live with the obvious failure. Sanogo 18 pts 16 rb 3 blocks 1 TO 1 assist = welcome back. Good substitutions in light of obviously out of game shape players. Aiken killed us in the first half with Gaffney never staying in front of him. There is no way in hells bells that Diggins could be a worse defensive player than Gaffney. He made his FTs and did a great give & go with Whaley. Martin off his foot, travel, step OB, but had numerous good plays. This was how Richmond played at Brewster and why I really wanted him.

I think we'll win out in Jan if we bring the same game against all the rest opponents

Reaction Score
I’m getting pretty tired of the Andre Jackson experiment. If he can’t shoot, and right now he can’t, he needs to do everything else well every game he’s a waste out there on the court, and today was not a sterling showing. You can’t be airballing wide open 3’s as a college guard. I think he has a tantalizing set of tools but right now he’s a net negative sometimes.

This is a .500 team without Cole.

I love Hurley. I think he recruits well. But these are the games we have to win to keep progressing as a program, and I’m afraid we’re stalling out.

Finally - UConn came to prominence on the back of its defenses. You knew if you played uconn, even if the shots weren’t falling, you were in for a rock fight. Now we look awful. Whaley went from DPOY to getting consistently bullied inside. No one can keep their man in front of them. Poor rotations.

Apologies for the semi rant, but this is a pretty talented team that should be better. Year 4 of Hurley and it seems like more of the same

Andre Jackson was hardly the problem. Got pulled after a couple bad TOs. Otherwise a better than average game for him. 2/3 from deep.

Reaction Score
Yeah, what’s your point?? He’s taken transfers before. He never said he wouldn’t take them again. “My guy”
My point is we needed a guard that could come in and contribute and we didn’t address that in the transfer market. Understand?

Reaction Score
There is no way in hells bells that Diggins could be a worse defensive player than Gaffney.
Amen. I don’t get it. It’s like the other team just goes right at him immediately and bullies or out quicks (he can’t stop either) after he turns it over at the other end on his first touch. Rinse. Repeat.

How do these college coaches not see this?

Orc

Reaction Score
An underrated problem is that Hawkins has been nowhere near advertised.

For all the talk of needing another ballhandler and go-to scorer, he's been completely overmatched.
I thought he’d be better based on preaseason hype. He looks more like a 4 year player to me

Reaction Score
This is a strange post to make after a game where he had 10 points and 6 rebounds and shot 2/3 from 3 point range

It’s like I said in my previous post… These clowns show up here to rant and rave about the same things over and over again… And don’t ask me what the heck they were watching because it sure wasn’t the game we were both watching wrt AJ

Reaction Score
He shot 3-6 from the field, including 2-3 from beyond the arc, and 2-2 from the free throw line. He's fine, and will only get better.

He also had a nice drive & potential highlight dunk “blocked” by the Hall player getting nothing but arm. One of the momentum-changing missed calls by the refs as the game tightened up.

Reaction Score
Year 4 and talent is still an issue.

Seton Hall has two really good guards. We have one decent one.

That last set was certainly something.

I can’t believe we didn’t go get a guard this off-season.

Akok isn’t there defensively but Whaley isn’t good and got abused too. Difference is, Akok can shoot the ball.

Happy to watch basketball again.
Poor Isaiah is getting abused every game now. He’s not going to repeat as DPOY.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We lost an overtime game on the road to a ranked team after a 17 day layoff. Come on people. Yes, Martin wasn’t good at stopping Richmond and had a case of the fumbles (SH doubled him to prevent his drives). Jackson made some weird passing decisions that lead to turnovers. But overall the team played well. Nothing to worry about. They need to learn to win late. But man is this team ever battle tested.

W (OT) vs current #9 Auburn neutral
L 64-60 vs current #10 MSU neutral
L 56-53 vs 12-2 WVU road
L 57-53 vs #16 PC home
L (OT) vs #24 Seton Hall road.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen many Seton Hall games this year but can’t help but wonder how we let a guy that has a career 6 ppg average to score 27. Why does this always seem to happen? Some random guy goes off on a career high that will never happen again. No one goes into a game vs Seton Hall game planning to stop Kadary Richmond.

Reaction Score
IIRC Andre had 3 drives today where he could have gone to the rim but stopped dribbling too far out and passed. He needs to find a way to maintain the dribble get a shot up there. Seton Hall drove the ball all game for layups. We do not have enough front court players that can do that due to lack of handle ability. We made a number of 3's today which kept us in it. Mainly our halfcourt is we throw it into Adama and watch him go to work or RJ drives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom