seriously, can anyone argue we're not victimized by the officials? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

seriously, can anyone argue we're not victimized by the officials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Facey, Miller and Enoch had light touch fouls, ridiculous, but Rodney going to the hole has all kinds of contact and no call. You can't put a light hand on a defender in front of a ref but at the same time you can get pushed, shoved, beaten in the post and that's OK? Rodney getting the pass and walking twice, I mean he is a junior plus, so it's been going on a long time. On this issue with him it prob can't be corrected, I'm sure the coaches have tried since day 1. Hey, we won.

Reaction Score
Lots of bad calls in the game, but I'm puzzled by people saying Facey's 5th foul was a legal screen.

He didn't look set or straight up, had a little shoulder lean into the Tulane player.

I think the most you can argue is that illegal screens that aren't called are an epidemic, but "everyone else did it" isn't a great defense.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Lots of bad calls in the game, but I'm puzzled by people saying Facey's 5th foul was a legal screen.
Often an illegal screen is not the fault of the guy setting the screen but the guy with the ball starting too early before the screener is fully set. If he's still moving into position and the guy with the ball is already moving, it's on the guy with the ball. Facey was the victim of that at least once and I think twice yesterday. Not his fault - the guards fault. The guards have to be a little more patient although it tends to be bang band and there isn't a lot of time. Better timing will hopefully be learned. Reducing 2 or 3 fouls on the bigs every game with better timing will pay huge dividends going forward.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. as huskygamble has said; there were some very bad calls during the 17-0 run by Tulane. If two of those bad calls never happened, we probably wouldnt have this thread. Momentum would have been different for sure.
In all fairness the refs, one doesnt know totally whats going down on the floor. For example, whose saying what to who, or how they need to "corral" the players into playing a sane game. But I am not saying the officiating was good at all, for sure. Just giving the refs some respect. But, as a former athlete, I know things on the court or playing field can seem odd to those that are watching, but make more sense when your in the game. But I sure have seen some very odd things done by refs or umps in my day. And I wont even talk about the $ changing hands. It does happen unfortunately. Ive even seen a baseball game called "ON ACCOUNT OF DARKNESS" once in broad daylight. (I know,...I was on the mound and our whole team and coach was screaming about the ball and strike calls.)These refs are imperfect people for sure. But so are we no? BUT, the refs MUST improve. 72" HD tv with slow mo playback sure makes their mistakes glaring. By the way, im thinking some anouncers are afraid to say anything for loss of paycheck....just saying...

Reaction Score
Ive even seen a baseball game called "ON ACCOUNT OF DARKNESS" once in broad daylight.

That happened to my son's travel baseball team last summer. Granted, it was only U9 playoffs; but, we were down by 1 run with 2 out in the top of the 6th (only 6 innings at this age) and called out #4 batter on 3 called strikes (no swing) in a row - 1) over the catcher's head, 2) one-hop in the dirt, 3) one-hop in the dirt. Our coach tried to talk to the umpire immediately after; but, everyone, and I mean everyone, heard the guy yell back, 'tough luck; but, I have a dinner reservation with my wife at 7 PM' as he ran for his car. The opposing coach was so embarrassed he could not look any of our kids in the eye as we lined-up for handshakes.

Reaction Score
I think KO handled it right vs Tulane. Those refs wanted Tulane and would have been more than happy to T up KO, give them the FTs, and just keep calling everything in favor of the Green Wave.

Reaction Score
The officials in this game should not be allowed to officiate past the regular season.. They were terrible.. as if they were damn near illegal... some Blue Chips/NBA ref Tim Donaghy type stuff.. Like they wanted to make sure the point spread work for Las Vegas gamblers or something.

Reaction Score
I watch a fair amount of college games and from what I have seen the officiating in general has been terrible and very inconsistent with regard to the "freedom of movement" directive. Some fouls get called when the defensive player looks at the offensive player and sometimes a mugging goes uncalled. The idea is good, speed the game up, more scoring, more entertaining games. I'm not sure they are getting the results they want though. Some of the games are almost unwatchable and have no flow at all. I'm not sure how this is improving the game.
That said, I seriously doubt the officials as a group have a sustained hatred against UConn basketball and have decided to call the games against us deliberately. Sometimes it feels that way as a fan of the team. I think we settle for jumpshots and we don't feed the ball into the paint enough. I think if we did the foul discrepancy would diminish some.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I watch a fair amount of college games and from what I have seen the officiating in general has been terrible and very inconsistent with regard to the "freedom of movement" directive. Some fouls get called when the defensive player looks at the offensive player and sometimes a mugging goes uncalled. The idea is good, speed the game up, more scoring, more entertaining games. I'm not sure they are getting the results they want though. Some of the games are almost unwatchable and have no flow at all. I'm not sure how this is improving the game.
That said, I seriously doubt the officials as a group have a sustained hatred against UConn basketball and have decided to call the games against us deliberately. Sometimes it feels that way as a fan of the team. I think we settle for jumpshots and we don't feed the ball into the paint enough. I think if we did the foul discrepancy would diminish some.

Some bureaucrat(s) somewhere got the dumb idea that 'freedom of movement' would increase scoring and the offensive product of college basketball. It might do the former by increasing the number of free throws (idk the numbers), but it fails unequivocally in the latter. If said bureaucrat(s) had any common sense, he'd repeal 'FOM' next year on common sense alone. Unfortunately, I think he will be obtuse enough to look at some thing as simple as scoring average and conclude it was a good idea. NCAA ftw

Reaction Score

He didn't look set or straight up, had a little shoulder lean into the Tulane player.

I think the most you can argue is that illegal screens that aren't called are an epidemic, but "everyone else did it" isn't a great defense.

It was bang-bang but hardly ever called at all in a situation such as that. Momentum had swung with the game and the refs, they were basically riding the Wave. It happens a lot in games with a big swing in momentum and the home team making the run, the stripes seem to lean that way a lot. I'm guessing it's happened our way in the past too. But in fairness to all, some were ridiculous.

I think we have refs who many never really played the game all that much but are book educated robots. You throw these new rules out there and they can't adjust to seeing the difference between "impeding" and basic contact that happens in game and will always happen. The guys jumping out to help is anticipated now, way too often on contact, as impeding when sometimes it's just damn good defense. These guys are trained and have less natural instincts when blowing the whistle, not all granted, but most it would seem.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the SC / Memphis game but The GCocks shot 63 free throws. That game must have been tortuous to watch. And in the Michigan ST / Oakland game a few weeks ago there were 90 free throws combined. Officiating is very difficult but the inconsistencies and anticipation fouls are ridiculous.

Reaction Score
It was bang-bang but hardly ever called at all in a situation such as that.

The whole point of a point of emphasis is that the head officials recognize that it's "almost never called" and they want it to be called more, as the rule is written.

We get called for a lot of illegal screens these days, so it's not going to help to argue that they used to not call them.

Reaction Score
The whole point of a point of emphasis is that the head officials recognize that it's "almost never called" and they want it to be called more, as the rule is written.

We get called for a lot of illegal screens these days, so it's not going to help to argue that they used to not call them.

No one said "used to" I say they don't now as we speak. That was a good pick but your point that we get called a lot doesn't help maybe the perception.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Please, people. We are not victimized by the officials until @BigErnMcCracken says we are, got it?

lndvGYU.gif

Reaction Score
Why UConn, is my question? Why is UConn the program that's "victimized"? The same people who insist that UConn is the bluest of blue bloods are the ones saying that it's also the victim of officiating bias. Aren't those two things irreconcilable? Wouldn't a premiere program get all the calls, like everyone on here says Duke does? I would love for someone to explain to me why they think UConn has been singled out. The potential for Paesano-esque nonsense is off the charts.

Seems a lot more logical, to me, to say that those kids who fouled out against Tulane - who have not been able to stay out of foul trouble all season - are the issue, rather than the refs.

That clip makes me cringe, by the way.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why UConn, is my question? Why is UConn the program that's "victimized"? The same people who insist that UConn is the bluest of blue bloods are the ones saying that it's also the victim of officiating bias. Aren't those two things irreconcilable? Wouldn't a premiere program get all the calls, like everyone on here says Duke does? I would love for someone to explain to me why they think UConn has been singled out. The potential for Paesano-esque nonsense is off the charts.

Seems a lot more logical, to me, to say that those kids who fouled out against Tulane - who have not been able to stay out of foul trouble all season - are the issue, rather than the refs.

That clip makes me cringe, by the way.
its a fair point.
I think we have done a terrible job adjusting to the way the games are being called this season. It is why it seems we get shafted, but its on us. For example we were told going into the season that moving screens were a major point of emphasis, but it seems to me that it is January and we still get dinged for moving screens at LEAST 3-4 times a game. One a game is ludicrous. I mean Facey himself had 2 out of his 5 fouls as moving screens. We have to be leading the country in moving screens. That is just pure stupidity at this point. It has been called the same way all season. we are in January. Learn how to play within the parameters of the way the game is called.
The points of emphasis defensively have hurt use too, considering the way we like to usually play defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We're the Steve Avery of college officiating.

Took me a minute to realize you mean Steven Avery. I was trying to figure out what the Braves/Tigers pitcher had to do with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom