Senior Brewer leaving UT | The Boneyard

Senior Brewer leaving UT

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I found this link. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/sep/15/alyssia-brewer-leaves-lady-vols/

Brewer has played inconsistently throughout her career but given her size and the position she plays this is a significant loss.
This is a HUGER blow to the team. They have gone from contender to pretender.

As Sophs, Cain averaged 10.5 PPG and 7.7 RPG. Brewer averaged 10.2 PPG and 5.9 RPG. Injuries prevented them from repeated those performances as Juniors. So who will replace that production?

The freshman Harrison? the oft injured Baugh? Their forwards including Stricklen are really going to have to rebound.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree that Brewer's loss to the vols is potentially damaging. It makes them thinner at the post. But, based on my past observations of TN I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future we didn't hear about a new post player giving her verbal to TN. After someone transfers out of the TN program it always seems to be followed by an announcement of a new verbal. What is going on at TN...first you have Faith Dupree and Amber Gray then you have Kamiko Williams and Lauren Avant and now Alyssa Brewer... I know that elite programs have their share of transfers but this does seem to be a little more than usual.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
doggy beat me to it. this is absolutely HUGE for them. a huge loss. no way to suger coat it or say it any differently. i'm not ready to call them a pretender tho. but they will get destroyed in the post. teams like Baylor, Duke, A&M, UCONN, and maybe even teams like LSU, RU, Miami, Maryland... well basically any team that has really strong and big post players. (Miami has Pepper Wilson, theh 6'5" strong center who transferred from Pitt avail this year).

and you are totally right - against teams with size, strength, and even speed, how will they score in the post? will they become a jump shooting team relying on Simmons, Massengale, Stricklen, Manning and Spani to launch up the 3's?

i've seen Johnson in the post guarding bigger post players and she is tough. on the offensive side, she uses her speed to get around them. but you can't rely on Baugh to be the 5 and play 30+ minutes per game.

i don't think this drops them out of the top 10 but i think it certainly makes them a longer shot for the final 4.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Look for Manning to move down into the post...she is a scraper...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This is a really big loss, but it might not be.

If - and this is a big "if" - Vicki Baugh is 100 percent healthy, she will start in the frontcourt with Glory Johnson. Isabelle Harrison will be called upon to play a more significant role as a backup post player.

But it will still impact their depth, should Johnson or Baugh (or both) be in foul trouble).

And it also means you might see a player such as Burdick or Manning playing more power forward.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

If - and this is a big "if" - Vicki Baugh is 100 percent healthy, she will start in the frontcourt with Glory Johnson. Isabelle Harrison will be called upon to play a more significant role as a backup post player.

But it will still impact their depth, should Johnson or Baugh (or both) be in foul trouble).

And it also means you might see a player such as Burdick or Manning playing more power forward.

I don't know how big a loss it is but I read the Fleser article and it sure sounds like she was canned.

“We met with Lyssi yesterday and came to an agreement that she would no longer be a member of the team,” said Summitt. “She will finish this semester at UT and we will help her if she’d like to transfer to another school.”

Sounds like discipline or medical to me.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I agree that Brewer's loss to the vols is potentially damaging. It makes them thinner at the post. But, based on my past observations of TN I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future we didn't hear about a new post player giving her verbal to TN. After someone transfers out of the TN program it always seems to be followed by an announcement of a new verbal. What is going on at TN...first you have Faith Dupree and Amber Gray then you have Kamiko Williams and Lauren Avant and now Alyssa Brewer... I know that elite programs have their share of transfers but this does seem to be a little more than usual.

Kamiko is still with the team but she tore her ACL this summer. Brewer is a senior so her leaving will have no impact on any future verbals.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I dunno Cam. that would be like UCONN needing Doty to play 30-35 minutes per game. i don't deny that Baugh is a talent, but now she's the starter, without the luxury of coming off the bench behind Brewer and Johnson.

Can tennessee absorb it? sure. but god forbid Baugh gets injured, or from tennessee's perspective, picks up 2 fouls early on in a game. that won't be good for them.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Eric, see my third and fourth paragraphs, where I talk about the impact on depth and positions.

Again, my post was premised on Baugh being 100 percent healthy. That has yet to happen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Contender to Pretender.

It was just fun to type. I certainly don't think a team as talented as Tennessee will be pretenders.

Adding Massingale to the backcourt is a big improvement. And Burdick is a fine player. I don't think Harrison will make a big impact.

They should still be a top 10 team, but it's not just the loss of a post player. It's one more player leaving the program. It's got to impact the remaining players.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't know how big a loss it is but I read the Fleser article and it sure sounds like she was canned.

“We met with Lyssi yesterday and came to an agreement that she would no longer be a member of the team,” said Summitt. “She will finish this semester at UT and we will help her if she’d like to transfer to another school.”

Sounds like discipline or medical to me.
Let's put this to rest - From Maria C on The Summitt:

"Lyssi is a neat young lady and I think she will land on her feet. She had no disciplinary or academic issues and was well liked by her teammates, too."

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Contender to Pretender.

It was just fun to type. I certainly don't think a team as talented as Tennessee will be pretenders.

Adding Massingale to the backcourt is a big improvement. And Burdick is a fine player. I don't think Harrison will make a big impact.

They should still be a top 10 team, but it's not just the loss of a post player. It's one more player leaving the program. It's got to impact the remaining players.

Massengale is a great PG, but I think it will take her some time in the SEC just like any freshman PG. Hartley and Simms did a great job last season so its not unrealistic, but at the same time it will be tough!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is it possible? That Tennessee (the wcbb "program") is beginning to unravel? If so, sad to see.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Massengale is a great PG, but I think it will take her some time in the SEC just like any freshman PG. Hartley and Simms did a great job last season so its not unrealistic, but at the same time it will be tough!

I agree. But it is still a big improvement from Simmons at the point.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
i'm not trying to downplay this loss, because it is indeed a big loss, but it by no means takes us from contender to pretender.

brewer gave us quality depth at the 5 spot, but baugh and johnson were pretty much set to start in the post. her and baugh were both coming back from traumatic injuries so two semi-healthy posts would've been better than one, but reportedly baugh is looking and feeling better than she has since her freshman year. we'll hope and pray that continues.

harrison's development will be key and burdick will be expected to contribute at the 4 as well, but we still have plenty of talent.

massengale, bass
simmons, spani
stricklen, manning
johnson, burdick
baugh, harrison

this roster gives us a very solid 8 person rotation with simmons' ability to move to the point and johnson's ability to slide to the 5. bass and harrison both have a huge opportunity to earn lots of pt, and they have the full support of all the lady vol nation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As long as Baugh stays healthy, I think Tenn has enough players to put together an effective front court. I know Brewer was injured at the beginning of last season, but she didn't always look motivated to me. The bigger loss to me is Kamiko Williams. Without her Tenn really only has two true guards. I know Tenn may have other options at guard if necessary (I don't count Bass), but those other options make the backcourt vulnerable to pressure and diminish the overall strength of the team.

Reaction Score
I agree. But it is still a big improvement from Simmons at the point.
And Massengale is fairly conservative as a player. She may not light the world on fire, but she won't make a ton of freshman mistakes either. She will likely be okay as a freshman and they still have as much talent on that roster as anybody else in the country. They still have plenty of size as a team and more depth than just about any team in the country. And I tend to believe based on the evidence I've seen that coaches do a better job and teams play closer to their potential when there are fewer options. Pat at least has the potential to put a team on the floor that I may actually want to watch. With Massengale, Stricklen, Manning, Johnson, Baugh, Simmons, Spani, and Burdick there is still a pretty solid eight player rotation. Maybe they'll drag out Harry's playbook again.

There in the same position a group of teams are in this season. Geno's comments about this year's UConn team apply to Tenn as well. It's team that should at a minimum make the Elite 8, has a decent chance of going to the Final Four, but needs some good fortune to go farther than that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
i'm not trying to downplay this loss, because it is indeed a big loss, but it by no means takes us from contender to pretender.

brewer gave us quality depth at the 5 spot, but baugh and johnson were pretty much set to start in the post. her and baugh were both coming back from traumatic injuries so two semi-healthy posts would've been better than one, but reportedly baugh is looking and feeling better than she has since her freshman year. we'll hope and pray that continues.

harrison's development will be key and burdick will be expected to contribute at the 4 as well, but we still have plenty of talent.

massengale, bass
simmons, spani
stricklen, manning
johnson, burdick
baugh, harrison

this roster gives us a very solid 8 person rotation with simmons' ability to move to the point and johnson's ability to slide to the 5. bass and harrison both have a huge opportunity to earn lots of pt, and they have the full support of all the lady vol nation.

Like I said in another posts, I was jsut having fun with that statement. They are no means pretenders.

If I felt the need to go to The Summitt to defend UConn, I would take as positive a stance as I could, so I understand your post. But I don't agree with some of it.

There is NO way Pat wanted to have Baugh and Johnson split the center position. If Baugh at best can give you 20-25 minutes that means 15-20 minutes for Johnson at the 5, leaving 5-10 minutes at the 4 for Johnson, her best position.

I think you have to start with the premise that Johnson will play 15-20 minutes at the 4 and maybe 5-10 at the 5. Harrison will have to be the true back-up at the 5. Knowing that post players take time to develope, it will be a tough season for Harrison.

If Bass is your backup point, I would be shocked. She barely has contributed over her first 3 years. She's too small and not quick enough and certainly not a good enough shooter.

As with last year, I'm not convinced that Simmons has matured enough to be the team player and leader she needs to be.

Tennessee will win plenty of games as usual. They still will out-talent most teams. But this is a tough way for this senior class to go out.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think with Massengale at the 1; Simmons at the two; Strictland at the 3; Glory at the 4; and Baugh at the 5 that is as good a starting five that you will be able to get in WCBB this season. The question is how much drop off does TN have once the substitutions start. In my opinion Burdick will contribute right away...this kid is a winner. Spani will give them solid minutes off the bench and gives them a three point shooter. Manning is the "X" factor...I think this kid can give you a lot...she hustles, has a nose for the ball and scores. I like Manning. Harrison will provide another post player but she will fall into a post player's learning curve and I wouldn't expect too much from her during her freshman year. Bass will provide some quality minutes in reserve for Massengale should she need a blow or if she gets into foul trouble. TN can not afford an injury to their starting five or they will run the danger of not having enough depth to go far in the post season. If their starting five stay healthy this team is a final four team with a good shot at a championship.

Reaction Score
Don't know why anyone would conclude it was medical or discipline. Clearly seems like she was booted (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Not convinced this is bad news for them.

As I've said before, I think one of Summit's coaching mistakes is to play too many players and try a zillion different combinations. I'm not sure a smaller bench isn't a good thing for them. (Injuries aside, of course.) I also think they've relied too much on the bully-type offense -- ie, let's put a bunch of big, but less-than-skilled, bodies in there and have them fight it out.

A Massengale-Simmons-Spani-Strickeln-Johnson lineup could be very good. That still would leave them Manning-Burdick-Baugh-Harrison off the bench.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think if Baugh is healthy you have to go with her in the starting line-up and bring Spani in for a lift off the bench. JMHO

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think with Massengale at the 1; Simmons at the two; Strictland at the 3; Glory at the 4; and Baugh at the 5 that is as good a starting five that you will be able to get in WCBB this season. The question is how much drop off does TN have once the substitutions start. In my opinion Burdick will contribute right away...this kid is a winner. Spani will give them solid minutes off the bench and gives them a three point shooter. Manning is the "X" factor...I think this kid can give you a lot...she hustles, has a nose for the ball and scores. I like Manning. Harrison will provide another post player but she will fall into a post player's learning curve and I wouldn't expect too much from her during her freshman year. Bass will provide some quality minutes in reserve for Massengale should she need a blow or if she gets into foul trouble. TN can not afford an injury to their starting five or they will run the danger of not having enough depth to go far in the post season. If their starting five stay healthy this team is a final four team with a good shot at a championship.
Agree with much of what you are saying, CF.

Much of their problem is that it is highly unlikely that Baugh will give you more than 20 minutes most nights. And filling the 5 spot while she is out will be problematic. Do they Johnson as an undersized center or Harrison as an inexperienced center.

I'd also disagree about Bass supplying quality minutes backing up Massingale. That was going to be Williams and to a lesser extent, Avant. Bass has never been more than an end of the bench player. I don't see that changing her senior year.

Should be interesting. Pat likes to hammer the boards and she really doesn't have the horses to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom