Semi-OT: Taurean Thompson Leaving Cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: Taurean Thompson Leaving Cuse

Reaction Score
For any number of reasons, I doubt he'll be eligible.

1. The sick family member thing has been used quite often by players, but the NCAA has rarely granted eligibility in these cases.

2. He took a leave of absence from Syracuse. It makes me wonder what he'll do IF the NCAA doesn't grant him eligibility. Is he set on transferring because of family illness? Or, if his eligibility is not granted for this year, does he return to Syracuse? Which is a good reason for taking a leave of absence.

But which puts into question the need to be near a family member.
There is no immediate eligibility in D1 basketball anymore except for grad transfers and maybe illegitimate dismissal from a team or school (Kuran Iverson going from Memphis to URI comes to mind but he might have just been grandfathered in to the old rule). Regardless of a sick family member he would have to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
For any number of reasons, I doubt he'll be eligible.

1. The sick family member thing has been used quite often by players, but the NCAA has rarely granted eligibility in these cases.

2. He took a leave of absence from Syracuse. It makes me wonder what he'll do IF the NCAA doesn't grant him eligibility. Is he set on transferring because of family illness? Or, if his eligibility is not granted for this year, does he return to Syracuse? Which is a good reason for taking a leave of absence.

But which puts into question the need to be near a family member.
That doesn't answer why you derailed a thread about a player by bringing up age when his age isn't at all out of the ordinary for a sophomore in college.

Reaction Score
That doesn't answer why you derailed a thread about a player by bringing up age when his age isn't at all out of the ordinary for a sophomore in college.

He'll be 21 before his sophomore season. That's old.

Can you count?

He did an extra prep year. Just like I wrote. Entered college as a 19 year old. What I wrote totally applies to him.

Under what pipedream of yours is this kid going to play this year at Seton Hall?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Parents have serious issues - some of my friends are these parents and it's completely changed my perception of them. Behavior such as:

1) Hammering coaches for not knowing what they're doing - parents generally have no clue about coaching
2) Blaming politics when the kid doesn't play - and this is at a Division I athlete program
3) Supporting kids quitting when things don't go their way
4) Placing little league or high school sports above everything
5) Thinking that sports is the best way to get funds for college
6) Holding kids back in school
7) Forcing schools to have signing ceremonies when the "scholarship" is $400 dollars
8) Paying those dumb ass fees for a club team
9) Hiring recruiting services

It's wacky, man, wacky

I coached soccer over 25 years up to and including ODP
As much as I loved coaching it was the parents that took all the pleasure out of it for me.
What was even worse is the fact that with escalating college costs, parents were "forcing" their kids to try and excel and the kids lost all the fun aspect of the game.
These idiot parents would never believe me when I would tell them that unless their son or daughter turns out to be one of the top 10 players in the state, in soccer, the chance of receiving a full scholly was hard to get. Only after they received their gift letter did reality slap them in the face.

Reaction Score
He'll be 21 before his sophomore season. That's old.

Can you count?

He did an extra prep year. Just like I wrote. Entered college as a 19 year old. What I wrote totally applies to him.

Under what pipedream of yours is this kid going to play this year at Seton Hall?
Are these kids hoping to dominate physically as men in college these days?

I mean, your parents hold you out of school a year when you're young, so you start at 6.
Then, when you're 18 at the end of your junior year, you move to a prep school for 2 years. You start as a college freshman at age 20. Transfer after a year, and you begin your sophomore year as a 22 year old!
Again, you're insane. Why can't you ever be honest about what you write on here?

Reaction Score
Again, you're insane. Why can't you ever be honest about what you write on here?

You are a clown.

You go off the wall and nutty with minor differences.

One is 2 years older than other sophomores, the other is 3 years older. Big deal. Both are older and have an advantage over other sophomores.

The lost year after a transfer is supposed to be a deterrent. Now these kids think of it as a bonus.

Reaction Score
You are a clown.

You go off the wall and nutty with minor differences.

One is 2 years older than other sophomores, the other is 3 years older. Big deal. Both are older and have an advantage over other sophomores.

The lost year after a transfer is supposed to be a deterrent. Now these kids think of it as a bonus.
You derailed a thread on a false premise. You routinely post wrong information on here and when called out on it you never admit your mistake and try and spin it like the other person is making stuff up. I point out you were making stuff up and you tell me I can't read.

Thompson is the regular age of a college sophomore.

pj

Reaction Score
You derailed a thread on a false premise. You routinely post wrong information on here and when called out on it you never admit your mistake and try and spin it like the other person is making stuff up. I point out you were making stuff up and you tell me I can't read.

His birthday is May 12, 1997 which means he's 20 years old right now. After sitting out a year, he'll start his redshirt sophomore year at age 21 which is 2 years older than the typical undergraduate at the start of sophomore year.

Reaction Score
His birthday is May 12, 1997 which means he's 20 years old right now. After sitting out a year, he'll start his redshirt sophomore year at age 21 which is 2 years older than the typical undergraduate at the start of sophomore year.

I mean, your parents hold you out of school a year when you're young, so you start at 6.
Then, when you're 18 at the end of your junior year, you move to a prep school for 2 years. You start as a college freshman at age 20. Transfer after a year, and you begin your sophomore year as a 22 year old!
Read what upstater wrote. Again, there is nothing odd about his age and placement, he will be 20 year old for his whole sophomore year of college.

Reaction Score
This board will literally make up things to argue about lol. Unreal

LOL - I honestly cannot follow their arguments anymore! I don't have that kind of time to hem & haw their every word! Its kinda creepy. I really need to use the "block" feature because there are a lot of argumentative people here, no matter the subject. I wish there was a way to block negative people & just enjoy comments from people who contribute actual information. Sigh....

pj

Reaction Score
Read what upstater wrote. Again, there is nothing odd about his age and placement, he will be 20 year old for his whole sophomore year of college.

Yeah, and upstater corrected that post (suggesting Sid would be 3 years older than his class) in his second post correctly noting that Sid would start his sophomore (bball eligibility wise) year 2 years older than his class. You seem to be looking at his academic sophomore year in which he'll be 1 year older than his class and calling that 1 year delay "regular" for his class. It seems to me you're being willfully argumentative.

Reaction Score

You can't count. He's 20. 21 BEFORE the start of his sophomore year of playing after transferring.

There is no error anywhere.

You are brain-damaged.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and upstater corrected that post (suggesting Sid would be 3 years older than his class) in his second post correctly noting that Sid would start his sophomore (bball eligibility wise) year 2 years older than his class. You seem to be looking at his academic sophomore year in which he'll be 1 year older than his class and calling that 1 year delay "regular" for his class. It seems to me you're being willfully argumentative.
Sid, what the hell are you talking about? The thread is about Taurean Thompson.

Reaction Score
You can't count. He's 20. 21 BEFORE the start of his sophomore year of playing after transferring.

There is no error anywhere.

You are brain-damaged.

You are deranged, it's amazing how you lie over and over in threads.

Reaction Score
You are derules. d, it's amazing how you lie over and over in threads.
I believe he's confusing transfer rules with red shirting rules. If TT was red shirting then his point would be valid, as TT would be 21 but a sophmore eligibility wise. But when you transfer you lose a yr of eligibility so TT will actually be the normal age of a CBB junior

Reaction Score
You are deranged, it's amazing how you lie over and over in threads.

Where is there a lie?

This is why you are deranged. Because you throw the word insane or lie around, without any justification. Where did I lie? About what? As usual, I don't have a clue what you are talking about because you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
I believe he's confusing transfer rules with red shirting rules. If TT was red shirting then his point would be valid, as TT would be 21 but a sophmore eligibility wise. But when you transfer you lose a yr of eligibility so TT will actually be the normal age of a CBB junior
No, he posted about the guy's age not knowing how old he is or lying about how old Thompson is. Thompson was 19 for his whole first year of college and will be 20 for his whole sophomore year of college. If he is allowed to play this year he will be the regular age for his playing class, if he has to sit out the year he will be a year older with 3 years eligibility left, which is normal for a transfer.

Reaction Score

You don't lose a year of eligibility when you transfer.

Reaction Score
Where is there a lie?

This is why you are deranged. Because you throw the word insane or lie around, without any justification. Where did I lie? About what? As usual, I don't have a clue what you are talking about because you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Are you insane? He wasn't 20 coming into college. I posted your post like 5 times.

Reaction Score
No, he posted about the guy's age not knowing how old he is or lying about how old Thompson is. Thompson was 19 for his whole first year of college and will be 20 for his whole sophomore year of college. If he is allowed to play this year he will be the regular age for his playing class, if he has to sit out the year he will be a year older with 3 years eligibility left, which is normal for a transfer.

You are a very bad reader.

First, I gave a hypothetical about these kids transferring and showed how a kid could gain 3 years over his classmate (in the same year).

The implication of my argument is clear. The year-off when transferring used to be a deterrent. Now it is treated as something valuable.

Taurean will be 2 years older than his classmates.

You're a liar! Ha!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom