Semi-OT: Taurean Thompson Leaving Cuse | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: Taurean Thompson Leaving Cuse

Reaction Score
Going to hurt a lot. He's a very good offensive player. I think he'll try to sign somewhere in Europe this year.

Reaction Score
Somehow dodged a bullet. Can't imagine how this place would blow up if they lost him right now as the semester starts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Apparently he wanted to be closer to home, because of the health of a family member. Are we closer to home than Cuse?

Reaction Score
It was known for a while Brodie wasn't enrolling this year, word is Thompson is on Seton Hall campus currently and will enroll in a week.

Reaction Score
Are these kids hoping to dominate physically as men in college these days?

I mean, your parents hold you out of school a year when you're young, so you start at 6.
Then, when you're 18 at the end of your junior year, you move to a prep school for 2 years. You start as a college freshman at age 20. Transfer after a year, and you begin your sophomore year as a 22 year old!

Reaction Score

I mean, your parents hold you out of school a year when you're young, so you start at 6.
Then, when you're 18 at the end of your junior year, you move to a prep school for 2 years. You start as a college freshman at age 20. Transfer after a year, and you begin your sophomore year as a 22 year old!
"Grayshirting" in kindergarten (and beyond) is definitely a thing in my town/area. I've never heard a parent admit that it is for athletic reasons. It's generally because the kid isn't "mature enough," but I've heard "and he's small so I wanted to give him another year to catch up physically" thrown in. My daughter was born in February. She was the 4th youngest kid on her 24-girl soccer age group until the age groups changed to calendar year last year.

Reaction Score
"Grayshirting" in kindergarten (and beyond) is definitely a thing in my town/area. I've never heard a parent admit that it is for athletic reasons. It's generally because the kid isn't "mature enough," but I've heard "and he's small so I wanted to give him another year to catch up physically" thrown in. My daughter was born in February. She was the 4th youngest kid on her 24-girl soccer age group until the age groups changed to calendar year last year.
Yep. In Fairfield county, kids born in July are gray shirted. It's completely out of control. My child has a mid July birthday and is the youngest in class. Some classmates are almost a full year older.

Reaction Score
Parents have serious issues - some of my friends are these parents and it's completely changed my perception of them. Behavior such as:

1) Hammering coaches for not knowing what they're doing - parents generally have no clue about coaching
2) Blaming politics when the kid doesn't play - and this is at a Division I athlete program
3) Supporting kids quitting when things don't go their way
4) Placing little league or high school sports above everything
5) Thinking that sports is the best way to get funds for college
6) Holding kids back in school
7) Forcing schools to have signing ceremonies when the "scholarship" is $400 dollars
8) Paying those dumb ass fees for a club team
9) Hiring recruiting services

It's wacky, man, wacky

Reaction Score
Are these kids hoping to dominate physically as men in college these days? I mean, your parents hold you out of school a year when you're young, so you start at 6. Then, when you're 18 at the end of your junior year, you move to a prep school for 2 years. You start as a college freshman at age 20. Transfer after a year, and you begin your sophomore year as a 22 year old!
Just doing Pitt-y things

Reaction Score
I find it incredibly ironic and downright comical that the school spending tons of advertising money on the "New York's Team" theme is losing a guy from NYC because he wants to be closer to home.
... ever spent a few hours in Syracuse?

Reaction Score
In my area, playing UP is much more prevalent for sports-minded parents than having your kid being the oldest. I have one kid who has been playing up her entire sports life (she's now U13) and another, January born, who also plays up because she's just bigger than the others given her birth month.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@upstater stop ruining a perfectly good lolCuse thread with your random blabber.

I buy that Thompson wants to be "closer to home" about as much as I buy the idea that Durham wanted to be closer to home. Something had to have happened for the timing to be this egregious.

Reaction Score
@upstater stop ruining a perfectly good lolCuse thread with your random blabber.

I buy that Thompson wants to be "closer to home" about as much as I buy the idea that Durham wanted to be closer to home. Something had to have happened for the timing to be this egregious.

You're missing the big picture.

This keeps happening over and over and over. It is not a one off.

Players are increasingly sold on the idea of taking a year off to get better.

Reaction Score

Why are you posting this here? It isn't relevant to Taurean Thompson, he'll be 20 for his sopohomore year which isn't at all out of the ordinary and SHU is trying to get him eligible for this season.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Parents have serious issues - some of my friends are these parents and it's completely changed my perception of them. Behavior such as:

1) Hammering coaches for not knowing what they're doing - parents generally have no clue about coaching
2) Blaming politics when the kid doesn't play - and this is at a Division I athlete program
3) Supporting kids quitting when things don't go their way
4) Placing little league or high school sports above everything
5) Thinking that sports is the best way to get funds for college
6) Holding kids back in school
7) Forcing schools to have signing ceremonies when the "scholarship" is $400 dollars
8) Paying those dumb ass fees for a club team
9) Hiring recruiting services

It's wacky, man, wacky
Umping a little league game in Stamford many years ago one team down 10-12 runs had to endure some not so nice comments from the other team's PARENTS in the stands. When I heard some cursing I stopped the game and warned the stands to pipe down. I waited patiently to hear just one off color remark and when I did had the pleasure of forfeiting the game to the losing team. I felt great but not sure any life lessons were learned. It doesn't take much for sire children but takes a lot to be a parent.

Reaction Score
Why are you posting this here? It isn't relevant to Taurean Thompson, he'll be 20 for his sophomore year which isn't at all out of the ordinary and SHU is trying to get him eligible for this season.

For any number of reasons, I doubt he'll be eligible.

1. The sick family member thing has been used quite often by players, but the NCAA has rarely granted eligibility in these cases.

2. He took a leave of absence from Syracuse. It makes me wonder what he'll do IF the NCAA doesn't grant him eligibility. Is he set on transferring because of family illness? Or, if his eligibility is not granted for this year, does he return to Syracuse? Which is a good reason for taking a leave of absence.

But which puts into question the need to be near a family member.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom