Semi-OT: Akinjo Recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: Akinjo Recruitment

Reaction Score
Last week, Akinjo hosted head coaches from UNLV, California, Tennessee and Georgetown for in-home visits. The offers haven’t stopped either as Wichita State, Gonzaga, Arizona, Florida State and Baylor are just a few that have come in recently.

Not a bad list for a "meh" recruit by KO
Maybe there was a place for him here, would love to know what approach Coach Coach Hurley took with this kid, if anything at all
Must have some upside for these programs to be interested
Come out of the cave...the war is over...

Reaction Score
He decommitted because he wanted to be here with KO. Let's move on we knew we were going to lose him no matter what. Like other's said one 4* borderline top 100 recruit isn't going to make or break our year. Trust in Coach Hurley that he can get some decent players in who will buy into what he is selling is the key.

Agreed. This kid's decision to de-commit has absolutely nothing to do with Coach Hurley. He was coming across country for KO, not UCONN. Here's hoping that he lands on his feet...and we land on ours.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Honestly at this point I could care less about akinjo.to much good happening to worry about a decommitt who was recruited by the previous staff.
I suppose most of us here could care less. Did you perhaps mean to say that you "couldn't care less."
In other words, that you don't care?
And if that were the case, wouldn't not saying so be a lesser level of care?

Reaction Score
Last week, Akinjo hosted head coaches from UNLV, California, Tennessee and Georgetown for in-home visits. The offers haven’t stopped either as Wichita State, Gonzaga, Arizona, Florida State and Baylor are just a few that have come in recently.

Not a bad list for a "meh" recruit by KO
Maybe there was a place for him here, would love to know what approach Coach Coach Hurley took with this kid, if anything at all
Must have some upside for these programs to be interested

Everyone knew he was a good recruit. He still isn't so valuable that it was worth retaining KO.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
plenty have said that the 3 recruits were below top 100 and not worth crying over losing
I am pointing out that a lot of quality programs are after this kid and would love to know what Coach Coach Hurley's approach, if any, was in this case.
I don't play I dare you games - think I stopped that 50 years ago
James Akinjo was a high quality recruit. I enjoyed watching his highlights and reading about him. I'm sorry about losing him and wish him the best.

I think that captures the strong majority's overall thoughts and feelings.

I don't recollect anyone (except you in a inflaming way) regarding him as a "meh" recruit. I do know that many posters believed that the fear of losing him should not be a dispositive factor in whether to retain KO or not, nor should the willingness to let him go and accept the loss be regarded as a criticism of him.

Truly, you must know this.

As to your curiosity about what DH might or might not have said or done or signaled to keep him, it's understandable, but you'd get better mileage from keeping your focus on the curiosity about DH's approach and not provoking squabbles by the way your use of "meh" did.

You must know this as well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He decommitted because he wanted to be here with KO. Let's move on we knew we were going to lose him no matter what. Like other's said one 4* borderline top 100 recruit isn't going to make or break our year. Trust in Coach Hurley that he can get some decent players in who will buy into what he is selling is the key.
I knew KO was toast after the Auburn game. Anyone who didn't suspect the possibility was chasing windmills. They continued the chase and you and the group going after gtcam in this thread chased them. And when you weren't chasing them you all felt the need to continue ranting about KO even though it was out of the Boneyards collective hands to do anything.

You did nothing wrong except insist people accept your point of view. And you were obnoxious about it. And they in turn insisted on the same thing and behaved the same way.

At some point in time it becomes obvious that the bigger person can move on and doesn't need the other side to do it for them.

It's obvious to me that we have a lot of lbotB.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Definitely does, but this is more about a decent guard becoming available this late in the recruiting cycle.
No way. This was as big a loss as MAL was when he left because of the firing of Miller. It was the biggest negative consequence of KO's firing unless Jalen decides to leave as a result. I'm not thrilled how things played out and am hopeful we end up with far more positive things as a result of the decision to remove KO, but we can't whitewash everything.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Seems to me Akinjo is set on being 'the guy', we'll see how successful he is at that day 1 as a freshman. Wouldn't be shocked to see him at Arizona as they're usually good and he'd slot right in at PG. He probably doesn't want to come here and be behind Adams and maybe Gilbert on day 1.

That's been a problem for us for awhile, guys will only come here if they'll be our only guy at that position. Seems other teams are able to get a stable of guys to want to come for some reason
How does a brain process information in this manner?

pj

Reaction Score
No way. This was as big a loss as MAL was when he left because of the firing of Miller. It was the biggest negative consequence of KO's firing unless Jalen decides to leave as a result. I'm not thrilled how things played out and am hopeful we end up with far more positive things as a result of the decision to remove KO, but we can't whitewash everything.

Akinjo is a bigger loss than MAL (despite the rankings).

But, Hurley will get his Akinjos in time.

Reaction Score

I agree that Akinjo may have the better career than MAL, but the loss of MAL was bigger in the sense that it illuminated a whole set of issues that seemed like a microcosm of the back end of KO's time at UConn.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I'd be surprised if Akinjo doesn't have a great college career. And I believe Hurley will get as good if not better recruits as well. The two are not mutually exclusive and time will indicate if things work out worse the same or better.

But in this immediate moment the loss of Akinjo is a big negative. Hopefully we get a J Lamb player instead of the D Lamb player we missed out. I'm optimistic.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If we get Lecque no one will care about Akinjo
That will go a long way in making me excited. But until events play completely out I reserve my conclusions.

Reaction Score
That will go a long way in making me excited. But until events play completely out I reserve my conclusions.
Yeah our guard depth is terrible right now. I don't want Adams averaging over 40 mpg at some point again this season

Reaction Score
Akinjo was a nice player. He wasn’t a can’t miss and he wasn’t a 4th guard. But here’s the thing. There are 25 of these guys every year who are good not great with a good upside so as long as we get 1 next year we should be fine going forward. 2018-19 is a transitional season anyway so if we miss out we miss out. The critical thing is to get one of those guys and develop him into a great pg in time or land a can’t miss guy. In either case it will take time.

Reaction Score
I knew KO was toast after the Auburn game. Anyone who didn't suspect the possibility was chasing windmills. They continued the chase and you and the group going after gtcam in this thread chased them. And when you weren't chasing them you all felt the need to continue ranting about KO even though it was out of the Boneyards collective hands to do anything.

You did nothing wrong except insist people accept your point of view. And you were obnoxious about it. And they in turn insisted on the same thing and behaved the same way.

At some point in time it becomes obvious that the bigger person can move on and doesn't need the other side to do it for them.

It's obvious to me that we have a lot of lbotB.
I'm not talking about are former coach in a bad light anymore. I have moved on as has UCONN. I'm just a big Dan Hurley fan and felt it is time for the program to move forward. I have followed the program for 40 years and I'm very passionate about it so sorry if they came out as obnoxious to you.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Akinjo was a nice player. He wasn’t a can’t miss and he wasn’t a 4th guard. But here’s the thing. There are 25 of these guys every year who are good not great with a good upside so as long as we get 1 next year we should be fine going forward. 2018-19 is a transitional season anyway so if we miss out we miss out. The critical thing is to get one of those guys and develop him into a great pg in time or land a can’t miss guy. In either case it will take time.
You're undervaluing him. He's closer to great than good already and having him this season under JA is far better than getting someone equivalent next season as a freshman. The argument is moot since he's not coming to UConn, but it's silly imo to underestimate the value of his loss.

Additionally there are a lot of programs competing for those twenty five players. It's always better to have that bird in the hand.

In spite of my rebuttal, I'm hopeful that Hurley will fix things and sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score

Agreed here. Was in Providence to watch Minnesota vs PC back in November. A guy by the name of Isaiah Washington was the best guard on the court. We need a guy like him....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pj

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about are former coach in a bad light anymore. I have moved on as has UCONN. I'm just a big Dan Hurley fan and felt it is time for the program to move forward. I have followed the program for 40 years and I'm very passionate about it so sorry if they came out as obnoxious to you.
The obnoxious statement was regarding how people reacted over the season and not the post I responded to. No need to apologize.

My statement is that each side is goading the other side and insisting the other side change. If this is a game for people, that is if people want to see which side can wear down quickest, go for it. But I can tell you it will be a statement because two entrenched parties with strong personalities will take a long time to quit. If people really want to see this thing move on they will have to resist the knee jerk reaction to shut the other side down.

The stronger individual can move on. The weaker individual needs the other guy to move on because they can't do it themselves.

Reaction Score

You can't operate as if 2018-19 is a transitional season. At least not if you have Jalen Adams on your roster and possibly Gilbert along with Sid Wilson, Vital, Diarra, and who knows what else. Time is too precious and recruits are too valuable to be preemptively putting on the training wheels. This isn't 1997, we're in a low rate conference with a (relatively) unproven coach and nothing in the pipeline to promise a rebirth. Let the program flounder for another year and the climb becomes harder. Look at Providence, hell even BC, they're not screwing around, nor are Seton Hall, St. John's, Nova, or Georgetown. These programs are making big investments to get better and while we're right there with them, I don't think we can afford to test the memory of 16-year-old kids as it relates to UConn basketball. We have staying power but not so much that we can be arrogant about it - Hurley needs to find a way to get us to the tournament year one.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Hurley does not think as highly of Akinjo (based on JA's mom's tweets asking he be recruited). You have to go with the coach's appraisal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom