Self Imposed Sanctions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Self Imposed Sanctions

Reaction Score
These NCAA rules are pretty stupid , the fact that Ray or Rudy can't face time a recruit is a joke. Its not like they took the kid out and wine and dined him.
Didn’t he also arrange for workouts from an outside trainer, and then lie about it?

I still think both sides are to blame for letting things get to this point, but UConn seems to have the stronger case.

Reaction Score
Regardless, he knew the rules or at least should have, and broke them anyway. So he is either criminal or monumentally incompetent and stupid. Either way he is responsible and wrong.

LOL.... the reason UConn is losing out on recruits is because it doesn't dirty its hands. It's just the way things are. This is really really minor stuff. Bilas is right. Anyone can see that. I understand that Ollie fell down on the job and that he doesn't deserve the money, but to any outsider, they see incredibly minor violations that would not result in the kind of mess UConn has now anywhere else. The $40m loss has a lot more to do with this fiasco than Ollie's incompetence.

Reaction Score
Ncaa rules are beyond comical. Uconn can’t use 2 of our biggest stars Rudy and Ray - which uconn created - to FaceTime a recruit. Jesus. If a school is fortunate enough to have/develop a player like Ray Allen , we shud be at least allowed to capitalize off him and use that to our recruiting advantage. What a joke. Can’t do anything nowadays. If u breathe sideways it’s a violation. Meanwhile the blue bloods continue to do what they want. (Sigh)

C

Chief00

Aren’t self imposed sanctions typically done with the NCAA's input so that they are accepted by the NCAA without additional penalties? So I'll assume this is it. And I agree it's not too bad. We can live with 12 scholarship players next season. The 1 week hiatuses shouldn't hurt that much.

So this adds another year to Hurley's contract. That was part of his contract if there were recruiting sanctions.

Actually, that’s a great point about adding a year to Danny’s contract.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thankfully we are not banning ourselves from this year's NCAA tourney.

Also, in light of the financial woes how the hell can we afford the $5000?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
LOL.... the reason UConn is losing out on recruits is because it doesn't dirty its hands. It's just the way things are. This is really really minor stuff. Bilas is right. Anyone can see that. I understand that Ollie fell down on the job and that he doesn't deserve the money, but to any outsider, they see incredibly minor violations that would not result in the kind of mess UConn has now anywhere else. The $40m loss has a lot more to do with this fiasco than Ollie's incompetence.

Most of the violations are minor. However...

"Ollie got a close personal friend named Derrek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after-hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was permissible."

Sorry, but there's nothing minor about that. This is the one violation that everyone in the media that's defending Ollie is choosing to ignore.

Reaction Score

"Ollie got a close personal friend named Derrek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after-hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was permissible."

Sorry, but there's nothing minor about that. This is the one violation that everyone in the media that's defending Ollie is choosing to ignore.
No question about this violation but I ask this: what was the penalty for North Carolina keeping their players eligible with sham courses? Was that worse than a workout?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No question about this violation but I ask this: what was the penalty for North Carolina keeping their players eligible with sham courses? Was that worse than a workout?

You're not going to get me to disagree with you there.

Reaction Score

It is minor really. Compared to the major stuff that is going on all the time. At most of the P5 schools.

Reaction Score
I actually am a little annoyed by the scholarship reduction. Even though its just one, its a shame the new staff cant recruit with a full arsenal of open scholarships.
One or two more should open up, I’ll leave it at that. The bigger question is going to be who the staff can get to fill them.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It is minor really. Compared to the major stuff that is going on all the time. At most of the P5 schools.

I mean, I guess we're arguing semantics here, but I doubt most people would agree that the bolded sections -- and the subsequent lies to the NCAA when questioned on it -- would be considered "really really minor stuff" or "incredibly minor violations" as you said in your first post. I can't deny that it's much lesser than the allegations against UNC the last few years or the stuff in the FBI investigation...but I never recall facilitating payments to players being considered a minor violation.

Reaction Score
I mean, I guess we're arguing semantics here, but I doubt most people would agree that the bolded sections -- and the subsequent lies to the NCAA when questioned on it -- would be considered "really really minor stuff" or "incredibly minor violations" as you said in your first post. I can't deny that it's much lesser than the allegations against UNC the last few years or the stuff in the FBI investigation...but I never recall facilitating payments to players being considered a minor violation.

Payments? You're talking about the Glen Miller claim? Didn't someone post something here a while back that the story was false? I believe I read that here.

I agree that payments are not at all minor violations. That's the bar I use when I label something a major violation.

Reaction Score
What happened with Calhoun and the timing of it all was absolutely devastating to the UConn brand in the midst of realignment. The new coach had an imperative to run a clean program, given the past issues and its affect on the University.

Sorry, Ollie, you can only pick two of the following and keep your job.

1. Cheat
2. Get caught
3. Produce a terrible basketball team

Reaction Score
So this adds another year to Hurley's contract. That was part of his contract if there were recruiting sanctions.

Hurley has 30 days after final adjudication by NCAA to notify school of his right to exercise the additional year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Payments? You're talking about the Glen Miller claim? Didn't someone post something here a while back that the story was false? I believe I read that here.

I agree that payments are not at all minor violations. That's the bar I use when I label something a major violation.

How is paying for someone to do something (ie fly to atlanta and work with a trainer) not the same as putting money in somebody's pocket?

Reaction Score
How is paying for someone to do something (ie fly to atlanta and work with a trainer) not the same as putting money in somebody's pocket?

Training for basketball is not the same as handing kids money.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Training for basketball is not the same as handing kids money.

By the strictest definition maybe, but then it's not a big deal to buy them flights all over the place....'to play basketball'.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paying for airfare (NCAA violation) meals (NCAA violation) and lodging (NCAA violation) for impermissible off season training sessions (NCAA violation) and then lying to the NCAA about (Big time NCAA violation.) How is that minor stuff again?

Does the NCAA hand out show cause orders for minor violations? Because that is what is KO is looking at. The notion that this is stuff is minor is BS. Hard to believe that anyone even vaguely aware of the facts would say that at this point.

Reaction Score
Paying for airfare (NCAA violation) meals (NCAA violation) and lodging (NCAA violation) for impermissible off season training sessions (NCAA violation) and then lying to the NCAA about (Big time NCAA violation.) How is that minor stuff again?

Does the NCAA hand out show cause orders for minor violations? Because that is what is KO is looking at. The notion that this is stuff is minor is BS. Hard to believe that anyone even vaguely aware of the facts would say that at this point.

Minor compared to paying.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Minor compared to paying.
Meaningless comparison. Like saying assault is minor compared to murder. Both are still major crimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom