Self Imposed Sanctions | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Self Imposed Sanctions

Reaction Score
Meaningless comparison. Like saying assault is minor compared to murder. Both are still major crimes.

Don't agree. Sending players to another state for training by non-employees is something even my daughter's school sports program does... this is so minor.

Reaction Score
Paying for airfare (NCAA violation) meals (NCAA violation) and lodging (NCAA violation) for impermissible off season training sessions (NCAA violation) and then lying to the NCAA about (Big time NCAA violation.) How is that minor stuff again?

Does the NCAA hand out show cause orders for minor violations? Because that is what is KO is looking at. The notion that this is stuff is minor is BS. Hard to believe that anyone even vaguely aware of the facts would say that at this point.

Lying to NCAA staff has some precedent for being cited as a Level I infraction...

"The former assistant football coach's unethical conduct is similar to other decided cases in recent years. See e.g., University of Tennessee (2011) (concluding coaches lied to investigators); University of Oklahoma (2011) (concluding coach lied to investigators); Southeastern Louisiana University (2015) (concluding head coach lied about the duties of a volunteer assistant coach); University of North Carolina (2012) (concluding assistant coach lied to investigators about his relationship with a sports agency); Texas Southern (2008) and (2012) (concluding coach lied to investigators); Indiana University (2008) (concluding coach lied to investigators); Southern Methodist University (2015) (on appeal) (concluding administrative assistant lied to investigators and failed to fully cooperate in investigation)."

"As set forth above, Bylaws 10.01.1 and 10.1 generally require institutional staff members to conduct themselves in an honest and ethical manner. Staff members who knowingly furnish false or misleading information concerning their involvement in or knowledge of a violation act unethically pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 10.1-(c).

Along those lines, NCAA Bylaw 19.2.3 places an obligation on current and former institutional staff members to cooperate fully with the enforcement staff during an investigation. Compliance with these bylaws is fundamental to the effectiveness of the membership’s infractions process."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't agree. Sending players to another state for training by non-employees is something even my daughter's school sports program does... this is so minor.
Is your daughter a D1 athlete receiving room and board to train in another state?

Again, does the NCAA issue show cause orders for secondary violations.

C'mon upstater.

Reaction Score
Five things we learned from UConn’s response to the NCAA and its self-imposed sanctions - Hartford Courant

If Ollie lied like this, boy it makes him look ridiculous.

A FaceTime call from Ollie to ex-UConn players Ray Allen and Rudy Gay while in the presence of a recruit has been one of the more notable issues during the investigation. In addition to the calls being an NCAA violation, it has been alleged that Ollie provided false or misleading information regarding the calls, which is considered the most serious type of offense: a level one violation.

The calls took place at Ollie’s house during a team event using the iPad of Ollie’s special assistant Larib Omara-Otunnu. She, assistant coach Glenn Miller and the unnamed recruit all stated the calls were prearranged, and UConn wrote that Omara-Otunnu’s iPad was used “presumably to avoid the calls appearing in the records of his institutional iPhone...” which the compliance office could have noticed.

Ollie stated that Allen initiated the call to Ollie to wish him a “Merry Christmas” and that the phone was passed around, including to the recruit, to wish everybody the same greeting.

“No witnesses corroborated Ollie’s account, and no explanation was offered as to why Allen would supposedly place a holiday call to Ollie via Omara-Otunnu’s iPad.” UConn wrote, adding that Ollie denied there was a call to Gay.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hamilton’s son factors into sanctions
The prohibition of a specific potential football recruit, whose name was redacted, in any sport may seem like an odd sanction, but there’s a reason for it. This is in reference to the son of Hamilton, as The Courant has previously reported.

Hamilton was considered “like family” to Ollie, and their sons were “best friends.” Hamilton’s son was considered a football recruit, however, making complimentary tickets to a basketball game an impermissible benefit. Tickets given to Hamilton, including to away games, also made the tickets impermissible to the father of a prospective student-athlete.

See now this should be a secondary in my view, since Ollie had a longstanding prior relationship.

Reaction Score
Is your daughter a D1 athlete receiving room and board to train in another state?

Again, does the NCAA issue show cause orders for secondary violations.

C'mon upstater.

I know it's a violation. I said it was a minor one. As for the NCAA since when are they the arbiters of anything?

CL82

Reaction Score
I know it's a violation. I said it was a minor one. As for the NCAA since when are they the arbiters of anything?
Yeah, it's not. They are are arbiters of there own rules.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yeah, Your argument is vapid.

LOL...

I have been on many boards...but this one is the first one I've seen the use of "vapid". kudos

The "your argument is stoopid" is more mainstream....particularly on SEC boards.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
LOL...

I have been on many boards...but this one is the first one I've seen the use of "vapid". kudos

The "your argument is stoopid" is more mainstream....particularly on SEC boards.
You forgot "craven."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No question about this violation but I ask this: what was the penalty for North Carolina keeping their players eligible with sham courses? Was that worse than a workout?
Why?

Reaction Score
The "workout" isn't the primary issue, I don't think. The lies to investigating staff and the attempted cover up were bound to draw a penalty.

The NCAA finds that this kind of activity goes to the heart of compliance.

Reaction Score
While the NCAA found at UNC..

A Division I Committee on Infractions hearing panel could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated NCAA academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies “paper courses” to the general student body, including student-athletes.​
That finding took it out of the realm of athletics and extra benefits and put the issue into the realm of academia.

But the NCAA did issue a five year "show cause" penalty against a non cooperating UNC staffer.

Non cooperation and obfuscation must be punished....lousy academic control? Well..they gave unto Caesar what was Caesar's and held their nose.

Reaction Score
While the NCAA found at UNC..

A Division I Committee on Infractions hearing panel could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated NCAA academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies “paper courses” to the general student body, including student-athletes.​
That finding took it out of the realm of athletics and extra benefits and put the issue into the realm of academia.

But the NCAA did issue a five year "show cause" penalty against a non cooperating UNC staffer.

Non cooperation and obfuscation must be punished....lousy academic control? Well..they gave unto Caesar what was Caesar's and held their nose.

Its simpler than that. UNC and Louisville generate a LOT of money for the NCAA. UConn reuffled a lot of money making blue bloods and also tried to sack the current NCAA President due to gross mismanagement while the guy was at UConn. Thus the penalties imposed to date.

CL82

Reaction Score
The "workout" isn't the primary issue, I don't think. The lies to investigating staff and the attempted cover up were bound to draw a penalty.

The NCAA finds that this kind of activity goes to the heart of compliance.
The pattern of lying, both to UConn and to the NCAA, made things worse but out of town airfare, meals and lodging were always going to be a problem. Secondary violation are typically unintended, like KO giving tickets to friend whose son was a potential recruit for football. Summer travel, airfare, and off campus meals and lodging? Those are squarely areas the the NCAA monitors.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hamilton’s son factors into sanctions
The prohibition of a specific potential football recruit, whose name was redacted, in any sport may seem like an odd sanction, but there’s a reason for it. This is in reference to the son of Hamilton, as The Courant has previously reported.

Hamilton was considered “like family” to Ollie, and their sons were “best friends.” Hamilton’s son was considered a football recruit, however, making complimentary tickets to a basketball game an impermissible benefit. Tickets given to Hamilton, including to away games, also made the tickets impermissible to the father of a prospective student-athlete.

See now this should be a secondary in my view, since Ollie had a longstanding prior relationship.

Getting tickets to a UConn Football game is a "benefit".

Now I've heard it all.

Seems more like penance.

Plus you can get into every game for free.

CL82

Reaction Score
Getting tickets to a UConn Football game is a "benefit".

Now I've heard it all.

Seems more like penance.

Plus you can get into every game for free.
Yeah, I only heard about this within the last week or so. Note that UConn didn't cite this as a reason for discharge. As I read that article they were basketball tickets.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I only heard about this within the last week or so. UConn didn't cite this as a reason for discharge. As I read that article they were basketball tickets.

Ah.... slightly more valuable. But not much!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom