Selection Show Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Selection Show Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking at the Auburn and Iowa State forums. They are both terrified and irrate that they are in the East with UCONN :cool:
They should be. Two teams that gamed the metrics (Auburn played 5 neutral OOC games vs non-NCAA tournament teams, Iowa State played maybe the weakest OOC ever for a top-8 seed) and we are shaking in our boots. Iowa State came into the year 31 in kenpom until they kicked the crap out of a bunch of bum schools OOC and hung around in the 10-15 range all year. They took a major jump to 5 this week because they kicked the crap out of a depleted Houston team playing their third game in 3 days. Both teams are weak defensive rebounding, foul a decent amount, and can't hit 3s. We could not have gotten a better draw at 2 and 4. I'm thanking our lucky stars for our draw and half of the Boneyard is about to be admitted to the looney bin. Matchups over metrics.

Reaction Score
That’s the way it came across from McClelland - instead of explaining how they focused on making the regions well balanced, he effectively said Uconn had their choice of regions (of course knowing they wanted to stay east) & opted for the region the committee already set up as the toughest.

A ridiculous response. Serious incompetence!
The sad thing is that we would have been East even if we didn't get to pick. So we got the same bracket we would have gotten if we were the 3 instead of the 1.

Reaction Score
How does Wagner get a play-in but St John's doesn't? Wagner's 16-15 record is god awful - they lost games to Stonehill, CCSU, and the like.
I'm sure there's some kind of reason for this post but I'm having a hard time understanding what it is. :confused:

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I didn't realize they were a conference winner - obvious in retrospect. Mea culpa y'all.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kim English making a good point on what this may mean for scheduling and how end of games happen going forward which honestly sucks.

It seems like Hurley was ahead of the curve in understanding that though which would give reason to why our starters were in so long during blowouts.

Reaction Score
Strikes me that we spent lots of offseason time on silly debates of who UConn beat to win the championship and did the high seeds in the final four diminish
Idk maybe the ACC or B12 (which we almost got into)? Would be kind of nice for the big state uni to play other big state unis regardless of # of bids (and regardless of increased payout as well)
Let me see if I got this right.
UConn won the NC last year out of BE and are #1 overall seed this year. But you argue UConn should leave the conference bc it’d get a slightly easier path if it’s the #1 overall seed out of a different conference?!
Huskies are favored to repeat, the grass is might green yet we can find neon green elsewhere!

Reaction Score
Strikes me that we spent lots of offseason time on silly debates of who UConn beat to win the championship and did the high seeds in the final four diminish

UConn won the NC last year out of BE and are #1 overall seed this year. But you argue UConn should leave the conference bc it’d get a slightly easier path if it’s the #1 overall seed out of a different conference?!
Huskies are favored to repeat, the grass is might green yet we can find neon green elsewhere!
The current Big East is a great conference to prop up an elite program. Look at what Villanova did under Wright after the split. UConn is in a great position this tournament, as well as all other tournaments in the future, assuming Hurley keeps the recruits and portalers coming in. I think if we keep next years roster intact and get a solid 5 and a backup guard we will be the clear Big East favorite.

Reaction Score
They should be. Two teams that gamed the metrics (Auburn played 5 neutral OOC games vs non-NCAA tournament teams, Iowa State played maybe the weakest OOC ever for a top-8 seed) and we are shaking in our boots. Iowa State came into the year 31 in kenpom until they kicked the crap out of a bunch of bum schools OOC and hung around in the 10-15 range all year. They took a major jump to 5 this week because they kicked the crap out of a depleted Houston team playing their third game in 3 days. Both teams are weak defensive rebounding, foul a decent amount, and can't hit 3s. We could not have gotten a better draw at 2 and 4. I'm thanking our lucky stars for our draw and half of the Boneyard is about to be admitted to the looney bin. Matchups over metrics.
I agree, I like our bracket and based on everyone’s picks they do as well.

Reaction Score

To finish my first thought, we spent too much of the summer/offseason time and bandwidth defending who we beat - UConn 22-23 was a great team regardless and the domination in the tournament said way more about the Huskies vs who they dominated (everyone in their way).
I think it is worthless then to moan about a tougher road, it has its benefits like a tough regular season schedule has had for our Huskies. UConn will play the tournament like any other and beat who is in front of them And if some misfortune should knock out a tough opponent, this will not affect the Huskies. Lots of benefits to playing progressively better teams as one advances.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Remember last year when everyone was saying we got screwed with our seeding and then we went out and skullfcked everyone we went against. Bunch of chicken littles around here.
I remember that. I also remember being told Arkansas had too many athletes that they could throw at us and they'd end up running us off the court.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are we still whining about our bracket?
A few of us (you included) never whined.

And if the NCAA thinks their stacking the deck against us will slow us down, it won't.

Reaction Score
For as much as our bracket sucks for seed 2 thru 6, I think we got the best 8/9 matchup. The others are much more dangerous:

West - miss st vs MSU
South - Nebraska vs TAMU
Midwest - Utah state vs TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members