Selection Show Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Selection Show Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
nit committee is cooking. most of these games rule. lets gooooo.

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful
Today is your Super Bowl. What are you going to do for the rest of the year? I know what I'm going to do and it includes putting you on Ignore.

Reaction Score
And now CCSU doesn't get an NIT bid this season because of the changes
RIDICULOUS

Reaction Score
FAU played some tough teams OOC (NCSOS 40) and Seton Hall didn't. FAU beat Arizona out of conference. Seton Hall's best OOC win is maybe Monmouth? They lost to Iowa, Baylor, USC, Rutgers. They beat Mizzou, but everyone did. The rest of the teams they played were awful (NCSOS 242). If they beat St. John's rather than getting beat by 20, they're probably in the tournament. They were two bid stealers away from being in Dayton as it is.
My point is what makes a non con Arizona win better than beating Marquette and UConn?

SH has better wins and less bad losses. It shouldn’t be hard.

I mean they won 13 games in BE play.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So how does Auburn at #15 overall get into the East instead of West?
Are you claiming they chose in the region with clearly the best number one seed when the could have been in a region with clearly the worst number one seed?

Reaction Score
This really sticks in my craw. SJU lost to UConn 3 times and they were all close games. Even the 77-64 game, SJU had a lead in the 2nd half. UConn is the #1 ranked team in the country. That has to count for something. None of the other major conferences play a true round robin and yet SJU played UConn 3 times. So our bubble teams get penalized for having a true round robin when UConn happens to be the best team in the country. Same with PC and Nova, 2 losses each. SHU actually beat UConn! This entire 3 bid result is a joke.
SJU really hurt themselves by losing to Michigan, Dayton and BC. The 1 pt losses at Creighton and Marquette were backbreakers too.

Reaction Score
Matt Norlander's ranking of all teams in the NCAA Tournament 1-68 with a brief write up of each team.

LOL, and he has Iowa St, Auburn, and Illinois as the #4, #8, and #9 best teams, respectively. The selection committee is utterly useless.

Reaction Score
So how does Auburn at #15 overall get into the East instead of West?
UConn #1, UNC1234
EastUConnIowa StIllinois
WestUNCArizonaCreightonKansas
SouthHoustonMarquetteKentucky
MidwestPurdueTennBaylorDuke

After the first 3 seedlines are done, by the principles Duke chooses first based on seedlist and goes Midwest as closest geo. Kansas is next, but can't go South (Houston) or East (Iowa St) so placed West. Auburn is then choosing between East and South and would love to go South, but Kentucky is there, so they go East. And then you have to place Alabama and you get stuck because again Kentucky is in the South, so Alabama can't go anywhere. At that point you push Alabama to a 5 seed or shuffle some of the other seeds earlier.

So what the committee did was flip Creighton and Baylor on the 3 line. It's a good geo for Creighton and not that much worse for Baylor. Duke tries to go Midwest, but then next Kansas can't go anywhere else so they put Kansas in Midwest. Then Duke tries to go East, but then next again then there are 2 SEC schools and neither can go to the South. so they put Duke in the South.

UConn #1, UNC1234
EastUConnIowa StIllinois
WestUNCArizonaBaylor
SouthHoustonMarquetteKentuckyDuke
MidwestPurdueTennCreightonKansas

So then Auburn gets to choose between East and West and chooses East. Alabama defaults to West.

Reaction Score
But Kentucky can score and a hot offensive team in the tourney scares me. Kentucky won handily at Auburn.
I get that. They blitzed Tenn too. Sheppard had 9 3's. Impressive no doubt but If either Kentucky or Auburn play great they would both be a challenge. I guess what I was saying is Kentucky has more of a glaring weakness than Auburn. They would have to win a track meet. Auburn can really disrupt what we do and turn us over. They are athletic and really pressure the ball with in your face defense and get in passing lanes.They play with toughness and effort. Their offense ranks high as well I believe. Getting out of the Big East and playing more of a wide open and less physical style with less grabbing and more freedom of movement was our secret sauce last year and would also seem to benefit us this year. At least we have proved we can win in a variety of ways. Rock fights tend to be close and scare me though. We get seperation from those avalanche runs Fanta mentioned.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yet to find a pundit picking against us, we're doomed.

Reaction Score
so the S curve is a fiction? it's this seed list that matters?
That is the actual ranks on the S curve... they can then move people up and down that based on the "bracketing principals" (geographic proximity, avoiding conference matchups too early, BYU not being able to play on sunday's, etc)

Reaction Score
So their incompetence is our fault?
That’s the way it came across from McClelland - instead of explaining how they focused on making the regions well balanced, he effectively said Uconn had their choice of regions (of course knowing they wanted to stay east) & opted for the region the committee already set up as the toughest.

A ridiculous response. Serious incompetence!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s the way it came across from McClelland - instead of explaining how they focused on making the regions well balanced, he effectively said Uconn had their choice of regions (of course knowing they wanted to stay east) & opted for the region the committee already set up as the toughest.

A ridiculous response. Serious incompetence!
Yes it was a ridiculous response. Not that I care as I still believe they can put whoever they want in our path and it will be our game to lose, but couldn't a lot of this have been avoided if the kept Duke in the east?

Reaction Score
UConn #1, UNC1234
EastUConnIowa StIllinois
WestUNCArizonaCreightonKansas
SouthHoustonMarquetteKentucky
MidwestPurdueTennBaylorDuke

After the first 3 seedlines are done, by the principles Duke chooses first based on seedlist and goes Midwest as closest geo. Kansas is next, but can't go South (Houston) or East (Iowa St) so placed West. Auburn is then choosing between East and South and would love to go South, but Kentucky is there, so they go East. And then you have to place Alabama and you get stuck because again Kentucky is in the South, so Alabama can't go anywhere. At that point you push Alabama to a 5 seed or shuffle some of the other seeds earlier.

So what the committee did was flip Creighton and Baylor on the 3 line. It's a good geo for Creighton and not that much worse for Baylor. Duke tries to go Midwest, but then next Kansas can't go anywhere else so they put Kansas in Midwest. Then Duke tries to go East, but then next again then there are 2 SEC schools and neither can go to the South. so they put Duke in the South.

UConn #1, UNC1234
EastUConnIowa StIllinois
WestUNCArizonaBaylor
SouthHoustonMarquetteKentuckyDuke
MidwestPurdueTennCreightonKansas

So then Auburn gets to choose between East and West and chooses East. Alabama defaults to West.
Surprised Auburn would choose East knowing the #1 overall seed is there in essentially a home game.

I would’ve much preferred the West if I were them.

Reaction Score
Oh cool, they beat Arizona. Seton Hall beat UConn by 15.
My point is what makes a non con Arizona win better than beating Marquette and UConn?

SH has better wins and less bad losses. It shouldn’t be hard.

I mean they won 13 games in BE play.
Honestly, with FAU or Michigan State...I got nothing. Neither should be in. Frankly, neither should Virginia. I'd have put in 2 of the BE bubble teams and maybe Pitt in lieu of them.

I think St. John's should have been a 10 or 11, and if I were a 2 or 3 I'd be terrified. They would have absolutely smoked the American.

I just don't think there's anti-Big East bias (it wasn't long ago that there were 5 teams, or 2 1-seeds, etc.), or some other grand conspiracy. How many posts did people here say "We all know St. John's is in because of the TV value of Pitino" and that didn't matter. Won't stop the baseless speculation. It's really that they were all near the cut line and 5 bid thieves screwed up their chances.

All the bubble teams had warts. The Big East's were particularly large because the committee seemed to valued non-conference performance for most of these teams. Again, I don't understand the Virginia inclusion for this (Florida and A&M as top wins are underwhelming).

Lastly, and I think this is crucial—they clearly didn't care about any games starting on Friday unless it was a bid thief. It looks like they had assumed FAU would win the American and when they didn't, they just slotted UAB into a random spot. Same with Dayton and Duquesne. Or Auburn at as a 4, etc. I can even buy the argument that they just assumed Houston would be the Overall 1 and had to adjust late... because they treated the weekend results like bowl games: meaningless exhibitions that simply did light re-arranging of expectations. Because if they watched, St. John's would be in.

Reaction Score
They don't get to actually pick. When I say "pick", the committee is essentially trying to place the geography for closest for the top 4 seeds.
Right. It's not picking teams on the playground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom