Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN)

Reaction Score
I don't think OSU is the overall #5 seed based on their body of work. They probably got a procedural bump up from #6 to avoid having Miss. State in the same regional with SEC foe, South Carolina.
Didn't stop them from putting duke and Maryland from playing each other in the elite eight same round as sc and miss st

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I keep hearing about Maryland having a weak OOC schedule. Was it weaker than UConns conference schedule? I am not asking rhetorically, I am sitting squarely on the fence about this.

Can't answer the question but there's a significant difference. Geno has absolutely NO control over what conference UConn is in. He has to play whomever is in the conference.

Brenda has LOTS of control over her OOC and chose to play the Little Sisters of the Poor

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Wow, there's the possibility of another Louisville-Baylor Sweet 16 matchup.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Cal ? George Washington aint making the tournament

Reaction Score
I keep hearing about Maryland having a weak OOC schedule. Was it weaker than UConns conference schedule? I am not asking rhetorically, I am sitting squarely on the fence about this.

I think the committee weighs OOC stronger because it's what you can control. UCONN played everyone, and Geno did it on purpose so they would lose. Then they beat every team they played, and most by 10+ points. It's not really an apt comparison because Maryland is also in a weak conference. That is why they ended up a 3. I don't agree with it and think they should be a 2, but it sends a strong message.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

It's not so much whether Maryland's OOC was weaker than UConn's conference schedule. It's the fact that Maryland's overall schedule (OOC+conference) simply wasn't anywhere near the level of any of the other top teams.

UConn was overall SOS #2, despite its weak-ish conference.
Maryland was overall SOS #87.
The next-weakest SOS rankings among top-4 seeds are Baylor at #27 and Washington at #26.

Reaction Score
Our path is really hard. Our girls better really be ready. Committee made it so that we can't take any games off so to speak.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it did so much for UConn

Excellent point.

All this talk about punishing Maryland, did we get rewarded for playing the toughest non conference schedule? NOPE.

I know for a fact MANY ACC schools will not play Maryland because of how they left the conference. And we know many coaches in the PAC 12/SEC hide behind their "Strong" conference.

Reaction Score
The committee obviously wants to see UCONN lose!! Everyone is sick and tired of UCONN winning!! Syracuse has great guards and Maryland is very good I don't care what there out of confrence schedule is... They always play us tough ... We could have easily lost to Maryland the past 2 years!! Our bracket is the toughest and I knew it would be... They want UCONN out of final four!!! Maryland could beat us and I have a feeling they will.

Reaction Score
The committee obviously wants to see UCONN lose!! Everyone is sick and tired of UCONN winning!! Syracuse has great guards and Maryland is very good I don't care what there out of confrence schedule is... They always play us tough ... We could have easily lost to Maryland the past 2 years!! Our bracket is the toughest and I knew it would be... They want UCONN out of final four!!! Maryland could beat us and I have a feeling they will.
I have a feeling we will take Maryland to school. If they make it past Duke we will absolutely kick the snot out of them.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, Ohio State and NC State won't be seeded/hosting?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Which is total a cop out.

87-81 to UConn and how they played us last year speaks volumes in how to pick who a really good team is.

And Maryland has gone 0-3 against Ohio State in those two years as well. That speaks at least a volume or two.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No easy task, but if Gonzaga can beat Oklahoma they will likely play UW. In state matchup, used to play annually but the series has been discontinued. Definitely a bit of us vs. them, east side of the state rural vs. west side urban. Could be...interesting.

Reaction Score
Relax. That was the game Lou was barfing into a trash can during the game and before Saniya found her traction. The game was also on Maryland's home court in December, not Bridgeport in March.

And last year at MSG with Stewie, Mo, and Tuck we needed a last minute 3 by Chong to seal the deal.

Reaction Score
CT - UConn, Duke, Maryland, UCLA
KY - NDame, Stanford, Texas, Kentucky
OK - Baylor, Miss St, Washington, Louisville
CA - So Carolina, Ore St, Fla St, Miami

CA looks like the weakest region. OK and KY are both pretty strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom