Selection Monday | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Selection Monday

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Is this a spoof? Please tell me it's a spoof.

Wake beat Maryland.
Wazzu beat UCLA and Arizona.

DePaul beat Kentucky. Is that the win you're thinking of?
Wake didn't beat Maryland, is that a spoof?
Unlike the mens bracket discussions there is only one ESPN for women, no disputing the brackets and who should or should not get it. That is what we are doing giving opinions, yours is no more valid than mine.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Even though NC Wesleyan is a DIII school........ you have to realize when the Bishops and the Panthers meet up on the court.... anything can happen.
Ah yes, that's the secret nonconference win that a reasonable committee would have cited in justifying High Point's overall #1 seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wake didn't beat Maryland, is that a spoof?
Unlike the mens bracket discussions there is only one ESPN for women, no disputing the brackets and who should or should not get it. That is what we are doing giving opinions, yours is no more valid than mine.
My bad on Wake; but they did beat Missouri State, a team that did beat Maryland. Close enough :)

Reaction Score
My bad on Wake; but they did beat Missouri State, a team that did beat Maryland. Close enough :)
transitive-property-2.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Triad got 3 teams in the tourney... each of the 3 largest cities will be represented in the same year for the first time ever. Not sure any other metro can match that this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a tough draw for UCLA to be the 3 to Maryland's 2. I'm not sure that Oyenwere can power them through to the Elite 8 -- even if UCLA gets healthy.

UCLA won in College Park 2-3 years ago. A rematch!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
So you're saying Stanford doesn't deserve a 1 seed? Where should they be seeded? Make them a 16 seed and have them play UConn first round?
No where do you extrapolate questioning a 500 team with no ooc games getting in with the conference champions, A program with an actual recent resume getting a top seed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Your memory is failing you. You got 1 out of 3 correct. 2016 was Syracuse, Washington and Oregon St.

Cal and Louisville may have been part of another wonky Final 4, but it wasn't 2016.
2013 and another Uconn win - 5 seed Louisville, 2 seed Cal, and #1 seeds ND and Uconn - Louisville took out #1Baylor and #2 TN and Cal handled #4 Georgia who had taken out #1 Stanford

Reaction Score
I give the reveal show a pass for the overall #1 comment. It was the first reveal and they likely assumed the #1 overall would be announced first like usual. Order of reveal was weird. I just listened to Jeff Waltz comments. I think he was happy her didn't draw UConn again and thinks that helps his chances. I just hope Geno being missing does not effect any outcomes. Is there a chance of a false positive? That actually seems more likely than a real positive given everything we know. Funniest result will be if final 4 is chalk given all the talk about how different this year will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top to bottom, UConn is in the toughest region. So many teams from power conferences that are used to playing top competition. Thats what you want to avoid. Could have close, scary games from Round 2 on...Then, playing a big, "unknown" Baylor team in their backyard in the E8? That game might be a toss-up. Geno/CD will really have to earn #12. But, if they do win #12, the Paige Legend will continue to grow!

Plebe

Reaction Score
No where do you extrapolate questioning a 500 team with no ooc games getting in with the conference champions, A program with an actual recent resume getting a top seed.
The committee tries to select the best available teams for the at-large pool.

Given the level of competition in some conferences, it is certainly feasible for a team with a sub-.500 conference record to be one of the 32 (or 33, this year) best available at-large teams.

If you think a team with a sub-.500 conference record should be automatically ineligible, then your issue is not with tonight's selection decisions; it's with the rules adopted well in advance for the sport. Maybe try writing your congresspeople.

Reaction Score
Baylor 1994. In almost 20 years of being a guest on this Board I've tried to keep intra-university banter on our own Board. See me as SSadler on Sic'em365 and let's talk, leaving these gracious fans without us cluttering their Board. Just a suggestion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sad day for me, I knew we did not play well late and suspected we may not get a bid but it still hurts.

It's been a painful slide from 2017 and 2018.

Reaction Score
Alamo

1. Stanford
16. Utah Valley

8. Oklahoma State
9. Wake Forest

5. Missouri State
12. UC Davis

4. Arkansas
13. Wright State

6. Oregon
11. South Dakota

3. Georgia
14. Drexel

7. Northwestern
10. UCF

2. Louisville
15. Marist

Mercado:

1. NC State
16. North Carolina A&T

8. South Florida
9. Washington State

5. Gonzaga
12. Belmont

4. Indiana
13. Virginia Commonwealth

6. Rutgers
11. BYU

3. Arizona
14. Stony Brook

7. Iowa State
10. Michigan State

2. TAMU
15. Troy

Riverwalk

1. UConn
16. High Point

8. Syracuse
9. South Dakota State

5. Iowa
12. Central Michigan (WOW. Caitlin Clark vs. Micaela Kelly! This will be fireworks!)

4. Kentucky
13. Idaho State

3. Tenneessee
14. Middle Tennessee

6. Michigan
11. Florida Gulf Coast

7. Virginia Tech
10. Marquette

2. Baylor
15. Jackson State

Heimsfair.

1. South Carolina
16. Mercer

8. Oregon State
9. Florida State

5. Georgia Tech
12. Stephen F. Austin

4. West Virginia
13. Lehigh

6. Texas
11. Bradley

3. UCLA
14. Wyoming

7. Alabama
10. North Carolina

2. Maryland
15. Mount St. Mary's
I like Florida Gulf Coast as Cinderella to Face UCONN in elite Eight & finally get "CRUSHED" after multiple buzzer-beaters to get there. CD remains UNDEFEATED as she gets the Huskies to another Final FOUR in this weirdest of years.....

Plebe

Reaction Score
Top to bottom, UConn is in the toughest region. So many teams from power conferences that are used to playing top competition. Thats what you want to avoid. Could have close, scary games from Round 2 on...Then, playing a big, "unknown" Baylor team in their backyard in the E8? That game might be a toss-up. Geno/CD will really have to earn #12. But, if they do win #12, the Paige Legend will continue to grow!
"So many"?

South Dakota State is the 9 seed that UConn may face in round 2.
Marquette, FGCU and Central Michigan are the 10-12 seeds in UConn's region.

Are you nervous that UConn can't beat Syracuse? Or the winner of Kentucky/Iowa? If so, then maybe UConn shouldn't even be a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
You seem to be hung up on this. I often hear people throw out this arbitrary criterion. Not sure why arbitrarily pick .500 as the threshold. Why not .550? Or .600?
The problem with the .500 in conference record is that, like the teams themselves, conference aren't all equal, sometimes dramatically so. So a team that finishes a game below .500 in Conference A could be superior to a team that finishes 3 games above .500 in Conference B. The arbitrariness of the standard means the team from Conf. A cannot be in the field while the team from Conf. B might be in. In fact, the team from Conf. B could make the tournament specifically because the Conf. A team was excluded. While it might be silly to include teams that didn't win at least half its conference games, it would be even sillier to exclude them on that criteria alone.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The committee tries to select the best available teams for the at-large pool.

Given the level of competition in some conferences, it is certainly feasible for a team with a sub-.500 conference record to be one of the 32 (or 33, this year) best available at-large teams.

If you think a team with a sub-.500 conference record should be automatically ineligible, then your issue is not with tonight's selection decisions; it's with the rules adopted well in advance for the sport. Maybe try writing your congresspeople.
WTF does writing a congressman have to do with having an opinion that a mediocre team, or less than mediocre team should not get an invite over a team that actually showed it could win more than half their games. I would rather see the mid majors get more respect from the committee than propping up P5 also rans.

Reaction Score
UConn plays opening round game in Alamodome, so at least it doesn't have to deal with being over in Austin/SanM, or changing venues or hotels multiple times thru the tournament.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"So many"?

South Dakota State is the 9 seed that UConn may face in round 2.
Marquette, FGCU and Central Michigan are the 10-12 seeds in UConn's region.

Are you nervous that UConn can't beat Syracuse? Or the winner of Kentucky/Iowa? If so, then maybe UConn shouldn't even be a 1 seed.
This type of reaction seems to happen every year. I don't get it. Rinse wash repeat. I'm pretty sure there's been hand wringing over Syracuse before, but this year? Why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom