Seems like a new UCONN team | The Boneyard

Seems like a new UCONN team

Reaction Score
This is all in my opinion of course, but it seems like this team has something called poise that the past couple teams after Shabazz didn't have. I think it's because of the new faces on the team, and Jalen growing up. Jalens coming out party last year was the Cinci game in the tournament. Ever since then the kid has played on a different level from when we first saw him. And for me the past couple years were really frustrating after Napier and boatright not being there to take the last shot. I remember last year when we needed a big bucket sterling would just take a contested 3. Not blaming it on him but it just seems that this team has whatever it is the other team doesn't. Dunno where I was trying to go with this. Guess I was trying to point out that this team, despite the record, is actually going places. So proud of our huskies. Glad purvis has been showing up recently to silence all the haters. Thanks to whoever did their funny little superstition in the last little part of the game to help us pull out a dub! UCONN!!

Reaction Score
This is all in my opinion of course, but it seems like this team has something called poise that the past couple teams after Shabazz didn't have. I think it's because of the new faces on the team, and Jalen growing up. Jalens coming out party last year was the Cinci game in the tournament. Ever since then the kid has played on a different level from when we first saw him. And for me the past couple years were really frustrating after Napier and boatright not being there to take the last shot. I remember last year when we needed a big bucket sterling would just take a contested 3. Not blaming it on him but it just seems that this team has whatever it is the other team doesn't. Dunno where I was trying to go with this. Guess I was trying to point out that this team, despite the record, is actually going places. So proud of our huskies. Glad purvis has been showing up recently to silence all the haters. Thanks to whoever did their funny little superstition in the last little part of the game to help us pull out a dub! UCONN!!

It takes a while for our players to round out. Recall that the team in Shabazz's sophomore year lacked poise as well. Kemba's sophomore year too.

This isn't a new thing with UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
It takes a while for our players to round out. Recall that the team in Shabazz's sophomore year lacked poise as well. Kemba's sophomore year too.

This isn't a new thing with UConn basketball.
Yeah I was just kind of referring to the past couple of years, and the new faces on the team this year

Reaction Score
It's insulting and ridiculous when people make comparisons to the Champ teams to a 14-12 team in an awful, beyond awful AAC team

People have to realize how bad it's gotten

It is what it is

Reaction Score
It's insulting and ridiculous when people make comparisons to the Champ teams to a 14-12 team in an awful, beyond awful AAC team

It is what it is
Get a clue. Jalen, Gilbert, Vital and the new guard next year are going to absolutely control games and dominate. This team has heart all day. This is the beginning and I'm sorry if you can't see it.

Reaction Score
Let me give you my best Strategic Management case study analysis ... Kevin Ollie eventually figures out Team roles. There. BINGO!! You don't have to go every year and compare/contrast. It is the same damn thing every year. Why? Well ... UConn has not had a set 2-4 person class go through smoothly since 2010 when Oriakhi and Smith left. We plug we plug. Brimah and Facey came in together (Purvis came in sidedoor). Going forward ... we should be better.

Why?

Because we have 11 guys stacked up to develop. And - IMHO - none of them really are likely NBA early guys. Not even Jalen Adams at the moment.
'

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Get a clue. Jalen, Gilbert, Vital and the new guard next year are going to absolutely control games and dominate. This team has heart all day. This is the beginning and I'm sorry if you can't see it.
You might want to put him on ignore and let him enjoy his own misery. Most of the forum members are doing this.
Or do like I do and realize that not all opinions need to be perfect, good or in agreement with our views of the world.
Or continue to try and discuss rationally with him, marginalize him or berate him. But know it won't change anything and if you prefer getting results with your efforts this is not going to happen.

Reaction Score
You might want to put him on ignore and let him enjoy his own misery. Most of the forum members are doing this.
Or do like I do and realize that not all opinions need to be perfect, good or in agreement with our views of the world.
Or continue to try and discuss rationally with him, marginalize him or berate him. But know it won't change anything and if you prefer getting results with your efforts this is not going to happen.
Thanks, I'll consider it

Reaction Score

It is what it is

No one compared this to the Champ teams. We compared this team to the team that lost in the first round of the NITs.

Reaction Score
Let me give you my best Strategic Management case study analysis ... Kevin Ollie eventually figures out Team roles. There. BINGO!! You don't have to go every year and compare/contrast. It is the same damn thing every year. Why? Well ... UConn has not had a set 2-4 person class go through smoothly since 2010 when Oriakhi and Smith left. We plug we plug. Brimah and Facey came in together (Purvis came in sidedoor). Going forward ... we should be better.

Why?

Because we have 11 guys stacked up to develop. And - IMHO - none of them really are likely NBA early guys. Not even Jalen Adams at the moment.
'
True but that is the situation with most teams. New players come in and roles and improvement has to happen.

Reaction Score

It is what it is

I'd be willing to bet he said the same thing about Walker's team and Shabazz's team.

Reaction Score

Why?

'
Disagree with JA not being on the NBA boards. It is just a matter of this year or next. Hopefully it is next year before we see him leave. He has the "IT" factor to make it in the NBA. He will develop an outside shot like John Wall and Kemba once he gets there.

Reaction Score

Why?

'

Pudge, I think you captured it pretty well. Ollie is also still growing as a coach, but one strength he's had from day one is his ability to learn his roster, and to motivate them. I had all but given up on this team, but they didn't give up on themselves. Also, as Jay alluded to, we haven't had deep depth, but next year will change that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Same thing I've been pounding for years. When you have an experienced, elite point guard, your team looks good and plays good.
And that has me excited for the next 4 years, because after Jalen leaves next spring we'll probably have Alterique & MAL for 3 years, and then hopefully Taelon Martin in 2019, etc.

We're finally set up to be sustainably very good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This team needs every win, whether by one or ten, or even 20.

That said, still need better showing against SMU, Cincy, and Houston.

The fly in the ointment is that the things that get them down ten against Temple or 17 against Memphis will bury them against Cincy or SMU. Those teams keep their boot on your neck.

Gotta fix the sloppy play.

Reaction Score
Jalen certainly brings something that's been lacking in this program the last few years: toughness and leadership. Shabazz had it in spades.

Boat had plenty of toughness, but the leadership was lacking. Last year it was largely lacking -- hence the team being less than the sum of its parts.

Next year with Adams, Vital, Gilbert, and MAL, our backcourt will be full of tough, assertive guards. Hopefully we can get a presence like that in the frontcourt as well. Maybe Durham will develop into that guy.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Jalen really is special. The fact that he's literally the only player on our team that can create off the dribble, and he's still having success like this tells me that he's going to be unstoppable next year with Gilbert, MAL, and Larrier to help him out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom