Seems like a new UCONN team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seems like a new UCONN team

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
It's insulting and ridiculous when people make comparisons to the Champ teams to a 14-12 team in an awful, beyond awful AAC team

People have to realize how bad it's gotten

It is what it is

Why do you even bother to watch or post here? No one wants to hear this crap.

Reaction Score
Great to see the resolve from this team coming back from the dead, not feeling sorry for themselves. Our seniors know the clock is ticking and wanna leave a final mark on this program. Its one game at a time were on to Houston.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn is a better team now than in the early part of the year, but still need to play 40 minutes of basketball if they want to beat either SMU or Cincy.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean i'm more optimistic now. I'm happy the team is beating teams now that it clearly has more talent than. And it's kind of indisputable - they've certainly improved.

That being said, they haven't beaten a single AAC team ahead of them right now. Houston will be a HUGE barometer for where they're really at. I still don't think they're a tournament team and i'm not really convinced we're all that good, either. We're just missing too many pieces and I think fantasies of a major March run are a little overstated. That being said, we're a fun team to watch that's getting better and doesn't quit. Every piece that returns next year will be better off for it.

Reaction Score
And I'm not feeding trolls here, but the troll is correct in saying things have fallen off and this team couldn't lace the championship teams' boots - any of them. They're probably the worst UConn team i've seen in 20 years. I don't hate them, they play really hard and they're finally beginning to beat teams they should beat. They'll all be better off for this season and I think - provided the major pieces come back next year - that they could take a monster step forward in the years to come. But i'm not needlessly lowering my expectations for this program nor and I going to get carried away with the win streak. I'll take it. I enjoy watching this team, too. I just don't think they're that good. Yet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why do you even bother to watch or post here? No one wants to hear this crap.
You may not realize it but your response makes him feel better. It may make you feel good to make this type of statement, but as I've said to others in this thread, a person like JSM gets pleasure when he observes he's getting to people. It's warped from our perspective but not everyone is programmed the same way. So if you need to feel good by making these type of statements, go ahead. But if you and others are looking for a solution to this problem, that is not satisfy him, just ignore him or put him on ignore.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And I'm not feeding trolls here, but the troll is correct in saying things have fallen off and this team couldn't lace the championship teams' boots - any of them. They're probably the worst UConn team i've seen in 20 years. I don't hate them, they play really hard and they're finally beginning to beat teams they should beat. They'll all be better off for this season and I think - provided the major pieces come back next year - that they could take a monster step forward in the years to come. But i'm not needlessly lowering my expectations for this program nor and I going to get carried away with the win streak. I'll take it. I enjoy watching this team, too. I just don't think they're that good. Yet.
Fair appraisal.
Although in your prior post you've stated they haven't beaten teams ahead of them and I don't believe that's accurate. Two weeks ago the team was behind UCF, Memphis and Temple both in the standings and what they've shown in their play. That's development.
This team is just starting to show consistency in play. They were going to start the season with a setback because they had to replace three quality players who played significant minutes in Sterling, Shawn and DHam. That's not easy to do. The early injuries set them back. The midseason injury to Jalen set them back again, the preseason death to Rodney's god brother set him back, and Kentan needed more time to develop.

We've suffered watching these guys. I'm sure they would like to restart their season without injuries and with the development they have now. At least in this moment in time the remainder of the season is providing us with some interest. Two weeks ago no one in their right mind said that. Well I did. I guess that proves my point about right minds. :confused:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hopefully Rodney saved a little March magic like he has the past two seasons. When he's on, we're contenders.

Reaction Score

Except no one said this team was like the championship teams.

Reaction Score
We've suffered watching these guys. I'm sure they would like to restart their season without injuries and with the development they have now. At least in this moment in time the remainder of the season is providing us with some interest. Two weeks ago no one in their right mind said that. Well I did. I guess that proves my point about right minds. :confused:

Yeah I mean that's where i'm at. They're a fun group to watch figure it out. I'm happy we'll at least have some meaningful basketball to look forward to, too.

But by this program's standards - this is an awful team. I'm not trying to be negative nancy by any stretch because the effort is there, the coaching is there - there's no non-UConn effort. But the results are the results and we've got a ways to go to get back to (assuming that's possible) your old UConn form. I think a lot of posters get into the idea of plugging and playing 'add a big here and we're G2G!' stuff and that's just not the case. There's still a ways to go.

But like I said - it's one of those things where i'm kind of trying myself to put the conference realignment, long term projections and all that other stuff aside and just enjoy the effort and improvement. I'm trying (sometimes unsuccessfully).

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

No one is saying this team is the mid-90's Chicago Bulls. No, they're not a great team.

But you can't help that admire what the team has done compared to the beginning of the year with (arguably) 2 of its top 3 players being out and dealing with countless other injuries along the way. They were playing games with 6 scholarship players at times and pulling out wins -- I don't care who your opponent is in that scenario, that's a good win.

You don't have to praise this team as a good team, but you have to respect what they've done, given the circumstances. If they make the tournament, that would certainly be something. And if they make the tourney, they'd be playing with house money.

This team's performance only bodes well for the future.

Reaction Score
Our bigs for next year still terrify me. As incredibly unlikely as it is, hopefully the incoming freshman are game ready from day 1 next year, as the light just hasn't seem to go on at all for Enoch and, while I love Durham, I think he's at least another year away from reaching his true potential. We've leaned on phenomenal guard play to carry us to the promise land before and I think next year's guards will be exceptional, but our front courts in 11 and 14 were at least serviceable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Our bigs for next year still terrify me. As incredibly unlikely as it is, hopefully the incoming freshman are game ready from day 1 next year, as the light just hasn't seem to go on at all for Enoch and, while I love Durham, I think he's at least another year away from reaching his true potential. We've leaned on phenomenal guard play to carry us to the promise land before and I think next year's guards will be exceptional, but our front courts in 11 and 14 were at least serviceable.

This is a key point that I think a lot of posters are overlooking.

The back court should certainly be rock solid given an all league player in Adams, and all the experience Vital has gained this season and the highly touted recruits in Gilbert and MAL.

Figure the swing positions should be decent with Jackson and Larrier as well.

Unless a light switch goes on or our bigs we recruited come in day 1 and contribute (when was the last time a big at UConn made that much of an impact year 1? Oriakhi?) I think we are going to be in deep trouble. Enoch has shown some decent post moves, but seems to be out of position at all times and while Durham sometimes show flashes, its also clear he is extremely raw.

Just not sure if a lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Larrier, Enoch is going to be that much better than what we've seen this season.

Reaction Score
This is a key point that I think a lot of posters are overlooking.

The back court should certainly be rock solid given an all league player in Adams, and all the experience Vital has gained this season and the highly touted recruits in Gilbert and MAL.

Figure the swing positions should be decent with Jackson and Larrier as well.

Unless a light switch goes on or our bigs we recruited come in day 1 and contribute (when was the last time a big at UConn made that much of an impact year 1? Oriakhi?) I think we are going to be in deep trouble. Enoch has shown some decent post moves, but seems to be out of position at all times and while Durham sometimes show flashes, its also clear he is extremely raw.

Just not sure if a lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Larrier, Enoch is going to be that much better than what we've seen this season.

They'll be going small by necessity.

3 guards, Larrier and a big. Durham & Enoch split the center position with Carlton spelling them occasionally.

2 starting lineups:

Enoch
Larrier
V. Jackson
Vital
Adams

or

Enoch
Larrier
Vital
Adams
Gilbert

Durham shares minutes with Enoch at the 5
Polley occasionally spells Larrier or Jackson for a few
MAL comes in for one of the 3 guards.
Carlton comes in when Enoch/Durham get in foul trouble.

The core 5 guys should be dynamic: Adams, Larrier, Gilbert, VJax and Vital.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They'll be going small by necessity.

3 guards, Larrier and a big. Durham & Enoch split the center position with Carlton spelling them occasionally.

2 starting lineups:

Enoch
Larrier
V. Jackson
Vital
Adams

or

Enoch
Larrier
Vital
Adams
Gilbert

Durham shares minutes with Enoch at the 5
Polley occasionally spells Larrier or Jackson for a few
MAL comes in for one of the 3 guards.
Carlton comes in when Enoch/Durham get in foul trouble.

The core 5 guys should be dynamic: Adams, Larrier, Gilbert, VJax and Vital.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to put Jackson and Vital into a category of being major contributors on a top 25 team. They have certainly improved and I love the effort and what they have done in a tough situation, but I'm not sure if as sophomores they are at that level.

Larrier is coming off an ACL and has played in 2/3 games the past 2 full seasons. He looked good in his brief cameo, but I'm cautious about expecting too much from him. Same with Gilbert.

Just not sure where we are getting any rebounding or post scoring from. Consider Durham has 35 points and 37 rebounds and Enoch has 74 points and 53 rebounds on the season! I'm not saying these guys can't improve, but to a team that necessitates us playing a bigger 4 than Larrier is going to kill us.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I'm ready to put Jackson and Vital into a category of being major contributors on a top 25 team. They have certainly improved and I love the effort and what they have done in a tough situation, but I'm not sure if as sophomores they are at that level.

Larrier is coming off an ACL and has played in 2/3 games the past 2 full seasons. He looked good in his brief cameo, but I'm cautious about expecting too much from him. Same with Gilbert.

Just not sure where we are getting any rebounding or post scoring from. Consider Durham has 35 points and 37 rebounds and Enoch has 74 points and 53 rebounds on the season! I'm not saying these guys can't improve, but to a team that necessitates us playing a bigger 4 than Larrier is going to kill us.

If not Larrier, Gilbert, Vital and Vjax, then who? These are the guys who will be here next year.

Are there going to be a lot of teams with players bigger than a 6'8" guy at the 4 next year?

I can't see it.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Diarra, who is going to start practicing with the team soon. He will have a little more experience than most first-year players, having practiced with the team at both ends of the season, and having been with the team all this year through thick and thin. Also, I imagine he'll have been working on his body for quite a while by the time next season starts.

That said, any reservations about our front court next year are still well-founded.

Reaction Score
If the lads can avoid the -15 point opening, they'll certainly remove much drama and ease BY suicide attempts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If not Larrier, Gilbert, Vital and Vjax, then who? These are the guys who will be here next year.

Are there going to be a lot of teams with players bigger than a 6'8" guy at the 4 next year?

I can't see it.

I think more of what I'm saying is I don't think they are going to be a top 25 team.

And it's not so much the height but the size, physique and style of play of 4s and 5s that were up against.

I just have no clue who is going to get any rebounds.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hopefully Rodney saved a little March magic like he has the past two seasons. When he's on, we're contenders.
It seems Rodney has been settling down and playing with more calm and focus. What we need from him is a quicker start. If he gets off to a good start, I think it will reduce the pressure on everyone else. Facey getting off to a good start would be big too. We need people not named Jalen to contribute early on and not create the whole "climb the mountain comeback scenario" that we have seen too many times for our liking. Regarding Rodney, I feel that this could be his time and I hope he can let it happen. I have little confidence in that happening in any complete way, but what a difference when Rodney is playing well. Who cares about a little step out of bounds here or there if he is playing with confidence otherwise.

Reaction Score
I think more of what I'm saying is I don't think they are going to be a top 25 team.

And it's not so much the height but the size, physique and style of play of 4s and 5s that were up against.

I just have no clue who is going to get any rebounds.
I understand your concerns. But here is where your off.

Every year every team in the nation with the exception of a few have more ?'s than answers. This is College Basketball where development is the biggest key. Every team in the country next year is banking there season on their players developing. We are no different. The teams that don't have any ?'s are normally top 3-5. I don't think anyone is saying we'll start off that good. But top 25 team is absolutely in reason to expect. Why?

JALEN ADAMS. Guard play in college basketball super important. And it just so happens that we may have arguably the best guard collection in college basketball next year. Yes I said it the best! Jalen Adams is super dynamic and as a husky faithful you know how much a dynamic guard can elevate the play of the rest of his teammates. He'll be alpha from day one and roles will.be clearly defined. Everything will start and end with him. The talent around him will be more than enough for.us to do damage. I'm expecting Enoch and Durham to progress to being at least sophomore Phil Nolan and freshman brimah (who won a natty). Is that really to much to ask of Enoch and Durham.

So why your concerns of definitely valid, I think you'll find that every fan base has just as many questions as us next year

Reaction Score
Our backcourt has the potential to be one of the best in the country next year. I've had my reservations about Vital after his run of late, I wasn't ready to call him a starter next year, but the last two games have changed my mind. He is driving to the basket much stronger and finishing very well, and has also turned into a very good rebounder, he has a very underrated vertical/quick jump on the boards. His shooting seems to already be very,very good and will only get better.

AG, in the little we saw this year, looks to be a game changer, if he can get that shoulder fully healed. Has the same level quickness as Boat and Kemba, if not more. Showed flashes of being a very good distributor as well, will develop his shot, and was killing it in the steals category. He's gonna be a highlight reel next year, super excited for him.

Jalen, not much more has to be said. If he comes back, and we have a good year, that's our next All-American. With the weapons we will have next year, hopefully everyone being healthy, kid could be a double-double threat every game. He's improved his shooting so much too, that mid-range is deadly and he needs to be guarded out to the 3 pt line now, he's a triple threat. Needs to spend the offseason working on his defense hard, his on-ball is mediocre at best right now, and continue to work on his shooting, and he'll be scary next year.

We've got 3 wings for next yr, Larrier, Jackson and Polley. Wouldn't mind possibly getting another, maybe a reclass or a solid transfer/juco, but I wouldn't be too worried if we went in with just those three. If Larrier can stay healthy, just like AG, he can be a potential game changer with his athleticism, shooting touch, and length. That is a big IF though, but I have confidence in the kid. Jackson, we've seen flashes this year that he can be a knockdown shooter, but im not 100% convinced in him as a starter on this team. Teams will, and looks like they have started, to figure him out a bit. We all know he is in slow-mo a bit. I personally think he would be best as a stretch-4, has some good post moves and can pop out to the elbow/3-pt line and can be an obvious threat there. Polley looks to be a candidate for stretch-4 too, but looks to be more athletic and less of a sharpshooter than Jackson, so we'll see what his role will be.

We can all agree, I'd assume. that we need some help in the post. Going into the season with no big man that has ever started a game (I think, maybe Steve has once or twice) with Durham, Enoch and Carlton is worrisome. They all have potential, Steve has some great, great post moves, but struggles to finish sometimes and is more often than not lost on defense, causing him to foul so much. Durham, has also shown flashes of the beast he seemed to have been in High School, just seems to be a little nervous. A year under his belt in the college game is gonna do him so much good though, but he definitely needs to add some strength, and I think his frame will allow that. Im excited to see what Carlton provides, he looks to be the first post player we've gotten in a while that can distribute from the paint, that is vital to a successful In-and-out offense that I think we should strive for. Also has some solid post moves from what I've seen in highlights, and looks to have underrated athleticism, but is still more of a landlocked big than a Facey-type bouncy post. But, even with all the positives they bring, we need to add an experienced big man. I personally don't want an under-the-radar development player, I want a big bruiser, either juco or grad transfer. @Matrim55 has done amazing in showing us the options we could possibly go after in those categories for a big man, and there are some intriguing ones for sure. Hope KO and the staff go after a couple, and I think they will.

We seem to go into every season thinking we are a potential top-20 team, granted this year we've had some awful luck with injuries, but next season was the one I was thinking could be very special, if the development of our players continued steadily. We hope that AG and Larrier can get to the level we think they can play at (also forgot to mention Diarra, not sure on him being an immediate contributor next year, but I think he can be huge for us once he gets used to the college game), and if they can, that just gives Jalen more options to distribute to, which could open up driving lanes for him even more. With the misfortune we had early in the season, it forced Vital to grow up quick, Jalen said it best, "I don't even consider them freshmen anymore". And that is such a blessing, because Vital is gonna kill it, whether it be in a starting role or the first guy off the bench.

Reaction Score
Do we know this? Have there been any updates on his condition, whatever it is?

The Courant has made a few references to his being ready over the past couple weeks. Here's one:

"Freshman Mamadou Diarra, who is redshirting to help improve a chronic knee condition, has been doing more in practices this week. "In about two weeks, he'll be a full 'go,'" coach Kevin Ollie said."

Commissioner Mike Aresco Believes UConn Will Stay With AAC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom