SEC Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee led the SEC in assist. So it's not just the shooting.

Reaction Score
More than Holly just going after individual talent, Harper seems to be recruiting with a plan to improve their shooting and overall diversity of skills. TN will hover around 16-20 I guess

There overall size is sick (average 6' 2", one player < 6')

They REALLY need to improve ball security. I think they had games last year where they had as many turnovers as points.

Reaction Score
They REALLY need to improve ball security. I think they had games last year where they had as many turnovers as points.

Turnovers, decision making and lack of awareness has been a very glaring issue for Tennessee these last 5 years. I like Horston a lot but man did she turn the ball over a lot. When your team is turning the ball over close to 20 times a game, thats a major problem. When watching Tennessee play this year, half the turnovers were unforced. Kids are just making ill advised passes or simply throwing the ball out of bounds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Turnovers, decision making and lack of awareness has been a very glaring issue for Tennessee these last 5 years. I like Horston a lot but man did she turn the ball over a lot. When your team is turning the ball over close to 20 times a game, thats a major problem. When watching Tennessee play this year, half the turnovers were unforced. Kids are just making ill advised passes or simply throwing the ball out of bounds.

and they lose their most stable PG (Massengill) (128 Assists / 49 TO)

With their size, maybe they should change over to Volleyball where balls bouncing off your hands is a good thing. and the ball does not have to go through the net ;)

Reaction Score
I thought UT was a little better last season than the past few with Harper at the helm. The team did have better chemistry but still had too many turnovers, defensive lapses that allowed some players to light them up, and some stagnant offensive possessions. All of those were present under Warlick but I noticed more cohesion, improved attitudes, and they had more fight in them than the last few seasons.

The lack of a point guard is concerning. Horston is very talented yet had a tendency to rush things and made some mental errors that need to be reduced significantly to improve their overall record. Their depth, as usual lately, is young and thin. They have a long way to go to sniff the top 10 again but they aren't starting from scratch either. I liked Harper as a player and wish her much success as a coach.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think for Tennessee. The improvement as a team and as individuals durring the summer. It will determine how good the team is thus next season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Curious. I know under Aston and Holly, TX and TN out of bound plays were often an adventure to say the least and I know UConn is one of the best in creative and effective out of bound plays (forever). Did Harper and TN improve on that part of the game?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think for Tennessee. The improvement as a team and as individuals durring the summer. It will determine how good the team is thus next season.
I think that's going to be a big challenge for EVERY team. Not sure kids are going to be able to be on campuses for full summer sessions, and I wonder with everything on "lock down" since mid-March if kids were less able to work on their games.

I'd not be surprised to see a more ragged season in 2020-2021 due to lack of preparation leading up to the start of the season... Then again maybe it won't be a factor at all, but I think there will be at least some residual effects...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think that's going to be a big challenge for EVERY team. Not sure kids are going to be able to be on campuses for full summer sessions, and I wonder with everything on "lock down" since mid-March if kids were less able to work on their games.

I'd not be surprised to see a more ragged season in 2020-2021 due to lack of preparation leading up to the start of the season... Then again maybe it won't be a factor at all, but I think there will be at least some residual effects...
Tennessee players are retuning to campus. They are going to be in strength and condition program. I have seen a few videos of players working on their games during the summer. In a recent interview. Harper was talking about Davis. Had this to say after the season we sat and talked about where her growth can come. We were on the same page. I trust she will work on those things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harper was an interesting choice as something obviously went awry at NC State and she wasn't necessarily the dominant program in the Valley despite helming one of its best traditional programs (she did very well, but no reg season titles).

I think Tennessee could easily re-emerge as an SEC contender, but like all of them Harper needs to start landing the dominant recruits. I was disappointed for them that they didn't land Key or MacPherson.

Reaction Score
Harper was an interesting choice as something obviously went awry at NC State and she wasn't necessarily the dominant program in the Valley despite helming one of its best traditional programs (she did very well, but no reg season titles).

I think Tennessee could easily re-emerge as an SEC contender, but like all of them Harper needs to start landing the dominant recruits. I was disappointed for them that they didn't land Key or MacPherson.
Has McPherson committed or is it that she didn’t list them as a finalist? I wasn’t sure if I missed something. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Has McPherson committed or is it that she didn’t list them as a finalist? I wasn’t sure if I missed something. Thanks.

McPhearson has a final 4 and Tennessee isn't on it. I believe the only SEC team is Miss St. The other 3 are ACC. Don't remember them all, but I think UNC is one.

Reaction Score
Harper is still new at Tennessee.
However, she will have to start signing top 20 players eventually, or they will "never" compete with South Carolina for the SEC title.

Reaction Score
Tennessee led the SEC in assist. So it's not just the shooting.

Fact checking your post, Tenn (503 assists) was not 1st in assists in the SEC, that honor went to South Carolina at 531 and as a bonus Tenn was also second in TO's (533) 1st place went to Vandy at 573 TO's.

1591803400873.png

Reaction Score
McPhearson has a final 4 and Tennessee isn't on it. I believe the only SEC team is Miss St. The other 3 are ACC. Don't remember them all, but I think UNC is one.
McPherson has a final 5:
Arizona
Georgia Tech
Miss. St
NC. State
UNC

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Fact checking your post, Tenn (503 assists) was not 1st in assists in the SEC, that honor went to South Carolina at 531 and as a bonus Tenn was also second in TO's (533) 1st place went to Vandy at 573 TO's.

View attachment 55253
Tennessee did average 16.2 to SC 16.1. So in terms of average Tennessee did lead.

Reaction Score
However, she will have to start signing top 20 players eventually, or they will "never" compete with South Carolina for the SEC title.
Harper and Banghart started at different schools at the same time though....

Reaction Score

Isn't Banghart new at UNC?

Reaction Score
Tennessee did average 16.2 to SC 16.1. So in terms of average Tennessee did lead.

Tenn also played 2 less games (31 gms) than South Carolina (33 gms). Cannot deny Tenn's 16.2 assists/gm but when you figure in Tenn's 17.2 turnovers/gm those assists per game have vanished.

Reaction Score
I think they are comparing the recruiting success of Banhgart and Harper.
That would have been my guess also. I wanted my post to stand by itself. I deliberately didn't respond to another post in an effort to avoid comparing Banghart and Harper.
I made 2 statements about Harper.
1. She is a new coach.
2. If she continues to recruit players ranked in the 40's or higher, rather than the top 20, she won't beat South Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom