SEC 21-22 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SEC 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm curious to see what UGA looks like vs a true contender. Haven't gotten much of a look at them yet.
Let me say first that I love Joni Taylor and think UGA is so much fun to root for.

As evidenced by a gritty knockout of NCST tonight, Georgia is for real. I went to the UGA/GA Tech game that handed UGA its only loss and thought some of the calls in that game really swung the momentum. Not writing it off—GT’s a good team—just saying they could very easily be undefeated right now if a call or two had gone the other way.

I think the problem for UGA in the SEC is that they play a lot like South Carolina, but historically haven’t been quite as good at it. Not a team that will regularly hang 80 on you (although they did in OT tonight), but play tough, physical defense and hustle hard. Not a terrific shooting team but not bad, either. I’m not sure they play through Staiti in the post as much as SC does Boston, but she is a very skilled and competent post player who seems to play well against the Gamecocks more often than not.

I think SC wins the SEC with relative ease this year, but could absolutely see UGA or Tennessee taking a game or two.

Reaction Score
With the SEC schedule around the corner, I have to say that I agree. This is looking like another great season for the SEC.

Looking backwards at how I felt in the preseason, I think the biggest disappointment so far this season is Ole Miss. I thought they would take the next step forward but they just seemed stuck in mediocrity.

I can't say there are any true surprises but I were to pick one, it would be Tennessee. They have definitely exceeded my expectations and without Burrell.

South Carolina, UGA, and Tennessee have separated themselves from the pack. There are other great teams, for sure, but I think only these 3 teams have a chance to win the SEC regular season with South Carolina as the most likely candidate.
Agree 100%. And while I see SC as a step above all, GA and TENN will give them a game and have a shot at knocking them down. Gonna be fun watching how the season plays out.

Reaction Score
Troy first road win 73-66 over MSST. Not much to say except, BRING ON THE SEC, We can not play any worse than we did this game.

Reaction Score
Obviously playing against each other isn't taken into account by this guy. The ACC beat the Big 10 10-4, that wasn't even close.
Not a “guy.” It’s a computer rating.

It’s the one that is (supposedly) used by the selection committee.

And “NO.” I have no idea how the algorithm works.

Reaction Score
Troy first road win 73-66 over MSST. Not much to say except, BRING ON THE SEC, We can not play any worse than we did this game.
Yeah that was tough to watch. I watched it on replay. Before I watched I was very aggravated with all the three attempts. However Anastasia Hayes got hurt and missed the last two games. Ashley Jones is also hurt and didn’t play much. if J Jordan is out of the game we have literally nobody that can drive for their own shot.

I was very impressed with the bounce back win over Jackson State. D Carter started over R Farley because she is playing much better. C Thompson started in place of Anastasia Hayes but Ace Hayes played most of the second half and played well. R Jackson, J Jordan, and D Carter all had double doubles with 24/12, 11/11, and 17/13 respectively.

Mississippi State should be able to play a lot of backups against South Carolina State. However their lack of any consistent inside game is going to make for a tough SEC season. I’m still pleased with Coach Novak. He simply doesn’t have a lot with which to work.

Reaction Score
I don't remember this many injuries across the whole landscape of women's basketball. It's such an odd season concerning injuries.

Reaction Score
Yeah that was tough to watch. I watched it on replay. Before I watched I was very aggravated with all the three attempts. However Anastasia Hayes got hurt and missed the last two games. Ashley Jones is also hurt and didn’t play much. if J Jordan is out of the game we have literally nobody that can drive for their own shot.

I was very impressed with the bounce back win over Jackson State. D Carter started over R Farley because she is playing much better. C Thompson started in place of Anastasia Hayes but Ace Hayes played most of the second half and played well. R Jackson, J Jordan, and D Carter all had double doubles with 24/12, 11/11, and 17/13 respectively.

Mississippi State should be able to play a lot of backups against South Carolina State. However their lack of any consistent inside game is going to make for a tough SEC season. I’m still pleased with Coach Novak. He simply doesn’t have a lot with which to work.
I also am very pleased with Coach Novak, He was dealt a very challenging task, winning in the SEC WBB with so little size will be difficult. Must admit the Troy game reminded me of pre Vic days the team looked so inept. Really miss Vic I believe he is an elite coach that we lucked into and may never see his equal again at MSST.

Reaction Score
I also am very pleased with Coach Novak, He was dealt a very challenging task, winning in the SEC WBB with so little size will be difficult. Must admit the Troy game reminded me of pre Vic days the team looked so inept. Really miss Vic I believe he is an elite coach that we lucked into and may never see his equal again at MSST.
I don't think we will either. It was lightening in a bottle for MSU. I remember the pre Sharon Fanning days and those were abysmal. Fanning did pretty well overall at a time when the conference was incredibly deep. It's amazing how quickly our expectations rose after the success of Vic.

Reaction Score
I don't think we will either. It was lightening in a bottle for MSU. I remember the pre Sharon Fanning days and those were abysmal. Fanning did pretty well overall at a time when the conference was incredibly deep. It's amazing how quickly our expectations rose after the success of Vic.
Mil, any truth MSST plans a $40M upgrade for the Hump?

Reaction Score
Mil, any truth MSST plans a $40M upgrade for the Hump?
Yes. I can’t remember the exact amount. However my understanding is the primary feature is to add premium seating in the form of luxury boxes. I believe concessions will be moved to the outer concourse.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina

2. Georgia
3. Tennessee

I debated where to draw this line but these three schools all have pretty good scalps. UGA has beaten NC State and Notre Dame. Tennessee got Texas and is managing while missing its best offensive player. If any team is going to beat up the threat of the SEC schedule and out itself into striking distance with South Carolina it's probably one of these two. I like Tennessee a little better, but UGA has the better resume slightly I think.

4. LSU
5. Texas A&M
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Arkansas

This group is either a little unknown or maybe mildly disappointing as they retool. This seems like a tier that is In pretty good shape to make the NCAA.

9. Miss State
10. Missouri
11. Alabama
12. Florida

These guys maybe have a chance at the tournament, but have work to do. Losing Carter was such a blow for Miss State.

13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Auburn has one of the bigger upsets of the year over Ga Tech, which as it turns out is pretty good. Vanderbilt has been worse.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina

2. Georgia
3. Tennessee

I debated where to draw this line but these three schools all have pretty good scalps. UGA has beaten NC State and Notre Dame. Tennessee got Texas and is managing while missing its best offensive player. If any team is going to beat up the threat of the SEC schedule and out itself into striking distance with South Carolina it's probably one of these two. I like Tennessee a little better, but UGA has the better resume slightly I think.

4. LSU
5. Texas A&M
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Arkansas

This group is either a little unknown or maybe mildly disappointing as they retool. This seems like a tier that is In pretty good shape to make the NCAA.

9. Miss State
10. Missouri
11. Alabama
12. Florida

These guys maybe have a chance at the tournament, but have work to do. Losing Carter was such a blow for Miss State.

13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Auburn has one of the bigger upsets of the year over Ga Tech, which as it turns out is pretty good. Vanderbilt has been worse.
Pretty fair analysis. I don’t see your 9-12 making the tournament but your 4-8 are in a position to do so based on talent.

Reaction Score
Obviously it is only one game but to go to Georgia, a team several had picked as potentially second or third best in the SEC, is a great start.
Mil, what do you know about the recent transfer from Michigan State? My research on Internet indicates she could be very good for us. Any truth that Madison Booker has visited State and supposedly the visit went well? Do not believe the visit was official but really do not know much about the visit. My source for this info is from my brother-in-law who has been fairly reliable in the past, he has not connections to MSST so I do not know where he got the info.

Reaction Score
Mil, what do you know about the recent transfer from Michigan State? My research on Internet indicates she could be very good for us. Any truth that Madison Booker has visited State and supposedly the visit went well? Do not believe the visit was official but really do not know much about the visit. My source for this info is from my brother-in-law who has been fairly reliable in the past, he has not connections to MSST so I do not know where he got the info.
A Winston is definitely an “add” for the team. She will push for starter minutes as a “2” and can play some “1” in a bind. She is good enough to push to start. I’m not sure as to her reason for leaving Michigan State but hats off to the staff for landing her. It shocked everyone as she had several options.
I’m not sure regarding M Booker. However I do know the current staff is working incredibly hard on the recruiting trail. Things are very tight lipped around the program but part of that is due to the coach. My understanding is Coach Novak is taking the attitude that although it is not guaranteed he will be he next season he is here now. He comes across in interviews as having a pretty bland personality but in person he presents as genuine and I have not heard anything contrary. I’ve spoken to two high schools coaches about him and they said he makes a great impression with them, players and families.
I’ve tried to be consistent with my analysis of him and want to wait and see how he does as the season progresses. He was dealt a tough hand but so far has done a very good job. The two biggest pluses for me so far is his steadiness and ability to sign players while still in an interim status. A Winston will play next season as will D Powe. Regarding steadiness he tries to level expectations during press conferences. He also shifts lineups when needed and plays the hot hand and matchups. In a recent game he started another player in the second half and didn’t sub her out. When asked about it he said she was a better matchup on an opposing player and was playing steady in the second half so he left her in instead of going back to the starter. He has started three different centers during the course of the season.
If I hear anything else I’ll share. Right now I’m still tempering expectations and enjoying each small victory whether on the court or off.

Reaction Score
A Winston is definitely an “add” for the team. She will push for starter minutes as a “2” and can play some “1” in a bind. She is good enough to push to start. I’m not sure as to her reason for leaving Michigan State but hats off to the staff for landing her. It shocked everyone as she had several options.
I’m not sure regarding M Booker. However I do know the current staff is working incredibly hard on the recruiting trail. Things are very tight lipped around the program but part of that is due to the coach. My understanding is Coach Novak is taking the attitude that although it is not guaranteed he will be he next season he is here now. He comes across in interviews as having a pretty bland personality but in person he presents as genuine and I have not heard anything contrary. I’ve spoken to two high schools coaches about him and they said he makes a great impression with them, players and families.
I’ve tried to be consistent with my analysis of him and want to wait and see how he does as the season progresses. He was dealt a tough hand but so far has done a very good job. The two biggest pluses for me so far is his steadiness and ability to sign players while still in an interim status. A Winston will play next season as will D Powe. Regarding steadiness he tries to level expectations during press conferences. He also shifts lineups when needed and plays the hot hand and matchups. In a recent game he started another player in the second half and didn’t sub her out. When asked about it he said she was a better matchup on an opposing player and was playing steady in the second half so he left her in instead of going back to the starter. He has started three different centers during the course of the season.
If I hear anything else I’ll share. Right now I’m still tempering expectations and enjoying each small victory whether on the court or off.
Thanks, Novak has been a pleasant surprise, maybe we hit lightning in a bottle again.

Reaction Score
Great game by South Carolina with an 80-68 win. They shared the ball very well. MSU did a good job defending down low but South Carolina did a very good job taking what the defense gave. I was very impressed with D Henderson’s play. MSU was forced to take some longer shots and she put herself in great position for a long rebound to start the break. A Boston is obviously a great player but in my opinion the length at the wings was the difference for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Thought it was odd that the Hayes sisters' father commented on her decision to join the team. I get that Miss State needs post/bigs, but I read somewhere guard depth was needed for next season.

She definitely will add some punch to the front court for the Bulldogs next season. Her 3 point shooting has improved from last year, but it was streaky in the games I saw her play this season. If she's more consistent going forward, this would be a big help to the team in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom