SEC 2019-2020 discussion | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
Seems like we should have one.

Before transfers I have South Carolina, Texas A&M, Miss State and Tennessee as possible contenders.

At this point, not sure I see a for sure Final Four team but won’t rule it out.

I will say I don’t quite see it for Tennessee after losing Westbrook. I love Horston, but not sure there is enough talent there unless They’ve drastically upgraded their development and I’m not sure why we should believe that.

South Carolina getting Herbert-Harrigan back was a boost and now seems back on track to make a run at getting the league back but will be depending a lot on players in new roles

Seems difficult for Miss State to throw it all together again but they have raw talent. They’ll certainly be good, I would think. Grad market here could be big.

Evidently people are taking TAMU very seriously. i think I take them a bit lightly because Carter has been so inefficient vs South Carolina. But they cruised through league pretty well and don’t lose a ton I think.

On the other end of spectrum from tamu is Arkansas, whose star South Carolina couldn’t stop at all. So I may overrate them. If the get bigger and find some help this is dark horse.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think this is a good post. I was just in my head debating this today. I think it'll be a competitive league.

Mississippi State has 3 proven players returning (Bibby, Scott, Espinoza-Hunter), many more young talent but a question mark as to who will emerge. We feel pretty good about our recruiting class though my guess is that Matharu and Young will redshirt, but Jackson and Hemingway might be too talented and varied at positions to not play somewhere. Martinez should play because the 4 spot is still a big rotating development though it'll depend on how her injury progresses. Could take a bit of boost from the 2 remaining transfers we're trying to claim right now.

South Carolina is in a similar predicament as Mississippi State. They have 2 proven players returning (Harrigan, Harris). Some promising talent, but young (Henderson, Saxton, Wesolek), and they feel REALLY good about their recruiting class. Though who will be FOTY, hard to really say.

Tennessee can put together a solid unit. Their roster does seem a bit thin now - and even more thin with Westbrook departing. But they got a huge boost with news of Lou Brown's eligibility. She could maybe be Erin Boley for them. And Jordon Horston can take over and become the leading scorer on their team from day 1. Kelly can damn well put together a great offensive point scoring unit. Not sure about their defense, and they have been lacking size lately (don't usually see them as a team that produces elite big girls) - though they are building to correct that with their newest recruits.

Texas A&M is positioned to take a leap with Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Tennessee taking some huge losses to their roster. But... maybe the one thing to detract from them is that they've been very good lately, but not a team that is seen as a national power. They did put up 2 great efforts against Notre Dame each of the last 2 years and if they got past them one of those years, who will know how far they would've went in the tournament. As of now.... I give them the edge over those above 3 teams but speaking from a Bulldog perspective, we've always drummed them lately so not sure if this is the year that Blair finally gets the better of Vic. As good a year as any though.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on Tennessee. There will be more size with Brown, Key, and Saunders. I think one player who can benefit from E leaving is Massingill. I think she will start at the point. When the season starts. I am excited about what Hortson can do. The other player who may I think could have a big year is Davis. If Harper can get them to play up to the potential. The team could have a really good year.

Reaction Score
I think this is a good post. I was just in my head debating this today. I think it'll be a competitive league.

Mississippi State has 3 proven players returning (Bibby, Scott, Espinoza-Hunter), many more young talent but a question mark as to who will emerge. We feel pretty good about our recruiting class though my guess is that Matharu and Young will redshirt, but Jackson and Hemingway might be too talented and varied at positions to not play somewhere. Martinez should play because the 4 spot is still a big rotating development though it'll depend on how her injury progresses. Could take a bit of boost from the 2 remaining transfers we're trying to claim right now.

South Carolina is in a similar predicament as Mississippi State. They have 2 proven players returning (Harrigan, Harris). Some promising talent, but young (Henderson, Saxton, Wesolek), and they feel REALLY good about their recruiting class. Though who will be FOTY, hard to really say.

Tennessee can put together a solid unit. Their roster does seem a bit thin now - and even more thin with Westbrook departing. But they got a huge boost with news of Lou Brown's eligibility. She could maybe be Erin Boley for them. And Jordon Horston can take over and become the leading scorer on their team from day 1. Kelly can damn well put together a great offensive point scoring unit. Not sure about their defense, and they have been lacking size lately (don't usually see them as a team that produces elite big girls) - though they are building to correct that with their newest recruits.

Texas A&M is positioned to take a leap with Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Tennessee taking some huge losses to their roster. But... maybe the one thing to detract from them is that they've been very good lately, but not a team that is seen as a national power. They did put up 2 great efforts against Notre Dame each of the last 2 years and if they got past them one of those years, who will know how far they would've went in the tournament. As of now.... I give them the edge over those above 3 teams but speaking from a Bulldog perspective, we've always drummed them lately so not sure if this is the year that Blair finally gets the better of Vic. As good a year as any though.

I am going to trust my gut, I think not only will Young not redshirt, she will be a starter mid season. Some of the short videos I have seen of her HS playing really impressed me. I think she will be the surprise of MSST recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Miss State will be fine 1 through 4. The difference between being a good team and a very good team depends on whether or not Carter and Taylor step up to handle the 5 spot. Losing T will hurt. Will it be a smallish loss that other players can cover or a BIG loss that will cost you 6 to 8 wins?

I think Jackson will start if she stays healthy.

Reaction Score
Miss State will be fine 1 through 4. The difference between being a good team and a very good team depends on whether or not Carter and Taylor step up to handle the 5 spot. Losing T will hurt. Will it be a smallish loss that other players can cover or a BIG loss that will cost you 6 to 8 wins?

I think Jackson will start if she stays healthy.
I don’t think the 1 will be a strong position for them at this current moment. Taja Cole or Minyon Moore would change that though.

Reaction Score
While I enjoy the speculation for next season there are simply too many questions right now regarding Mississippi State.

First, from Coach Schaefer's post season press conference he was fairly open that we are still recruiting players for next year and specifically ones that are capable of starting versus freshmen that may need to develop. Therefore I think we will definitely see one or two players that he expects to push for start minutes and to help with some senior or upperclassman guidance.

Second, we have injury questions on two of the returning players that, if healthy, would be key pieces to the team. The consensus is Chloe Bibby is recovering ahead of schedule but she is still a ways from being cleared and further from proper conditioning. Promise Taylor is also recovering from a foot injury that required surgery. Evidently she is recovering but is also not cleared. Fully healthy both players start (especially Bibby) and are key players.

Third, we simply have too many new players that will be forced to play some type of role to succeed. Last year it worked out great as Anriel Howard and Andi Espinoza-Hunter both stepped up in big ways. Jessika Carter gave steady but limited backup minutes and Xaria Wiggins even stepped up when absolutely needed. It could work out again but it is not like last year when the new players would sometimes push the starters for minutes. There were times during the previous season Jazz Holmes played more minutes in a game than Morgan William as did Jordan Danberry. Chloe Bibby even came in and gave great minutes as a physical defender. We didn't have anyone that pushed this past year other than BreAmber Scott.

That leaves MSU with a lot of questions. Worst case scenario, if no new players or transfers arrive and the injured players don't heal you could be looking at a returning starting lineup of J Carter, B Scott, X Wiggins, A Espinoza-Hunter and M Taylor. You would then have to hope the freshmen are good enough to assist when needed. Hopefully, MSU will pickup a point guard such as M Moore or T Cole as well as a post capable of at least pushing for starter minutes. When everything settles I think the starting lineup consists of P Taylor, C Bibby, A Espinoza-Hunter, B Scott and a grad transfer point with a grad-transfer or JC post, J Carter, R Jackson and M Taylor as the main backups. That gives some experience off the bench that can push the starters and doesn't force the freshman into a role before they are ready.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I do not quite understand what the big deal is about Lou Brown.

Seems pretty non-descript. What’s the story?

Transfer from Washington State....6-4 post player with an outside shot sounds great, but I don't see her being a high impact player. She's coming off an ACL and only averaged 6ppg on a truly dreadful team the year prior.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on Tennessee. There will be more size with Brown, Key, and Saunders. I think one player who can benefit from E leaving is Massingill. I think she will start at the point. When the season starts. I am excited about what Hortson can do. The other player who may I think could have a big year is Davis. If Harper can get them to play up to the potential. The team could have a really good year.

I don't see any of Tennessee's incoming posts as high impact players. Brown may get minutes, but I don't think she starts over KK/Collins. Can't see Key/Saunders getting minutes as freshmen.

Likely starting 5 may be:
PG-Horston
SG-Green
SF-Davis
PF-Collins
C-KK

Bench:
Massengill
Brown
Burrell

Blowouts:
Key
Camara
Saunders

KJH utilized a deep bench at Mississippi State, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rotation runs 8-9 deep opposed to going 6-7 deep like a lot of schools do. Everything about Tennessee is so up in the air right now, but if Horston is as good as advertised and the offense involves some screening action, I think UT will be a much better team in 2019-20.

Reaction Score
LSU will be very veteran but probably mediocre again, we return 4 of the starting 5. Mitchell being the big stud that returns.

PG- Pointer (Junior)
SG- Young (Freshman)
SF- Cherry (Junior)
PF-Mitchell (senior)
C- Aifuwa (junior)

If LSU wants a chance to be good next year Young, Pointer and Cherry have to hit outside shots and take care of the ball. Seems like Nikki's teams are very turnover prone. Reminds me of another Tennessee coach....:rolleyes:

Rebounding and scoring in the paint will be our big advantage so guard play will be key. Lets pray no one gets injured or suspended this offseason.

Reaction Score

A&M would have been predicted higher last season if Anriel and Danni had stayed after giving ND a good game in the 2018 S16. After those two left, replacing 4 starters with no incoming freshmen at all in the recruiting class was a rational reason for not viewing us as a national power. I thought there was also an overreaction in how people, including some of our own fans, viewed Carter as a teammate and Blair's relationship with Carter. When my group of season ticket holders watched the early OOC games, we were wondering if we'd finish above .500 and even make the NCAAs. The difference between then and how we finished the year was mainly in how the coaches developed the players who get overshadowed by Carter. Now those players have a season of experience and are more known quantities with additional upside potential, so for me the question is whether they handle the psychological difference between being underdogs and being favorites.

wrt the MSU win streak vs A&M, we'll see. The teams that built the streak since 2017 included some all time greats for the Bulldogs and at the same time A&M has been in reloading mode. I think the situations are flipped starting next year, barring unexpected roster issues (which are hard to call unexpected these days).

Reaction Score
Freshman guard Jessie Rennie will give Tennessee a 3-pt. sharpshooter that was lacking last year. However, like Joyner Holmes of Baylor, Rennie has juvenile diabetes which requires 24/7 monitoring, including during games. It will be interesting to see how her game develops at Tennessee

Reaction Score
LSU will be very veteran but probably mediocre again, we return 4 of the starting 5. Mitchell being the big stud that returns.

PG- Pointer (Junior)
SG- Young (Freshman)
SF- Cherry (Junior)
PF-Mitchell (senior)
C- Aifuwa (junior)

If LSU wants a chance to be good next year Young, Pointer and Cherry have to hit outside shots and take care of the ball. Seems like Nikki's teams are very turnover prone. Reminds me of another Tennessee coach....:rolleyes:

Rebounding and scoring in the paint will be our big advantage so guard play will be key. Lets pray no one gets injured or suspended this offseason.

I've always though A Mitchell was and still is an incredible player and honestly wished she would put herself in the transfer portal. I mean that as a compliment as opposed to wishing ill on your team I think she would have the similar impact of Anriel Howard as her motor always seems to be going and she just wants to win.

Reaction Score
Freshman guard Jessie Rennie will give Tennessee a 3-pt. sharpshooter that was lacking last year. However, like Joyner Holmes of Baylor, Rennie has juvenile diabetes which requires 24/7 monitoring, including during games. It will be interesting to see how her game develops at Tennessee
Lauren Cox of Baylor is the diabetic. Joyner Holmes attends Texas.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
While I enjoy the speculation for next season there are simply too many questions right now regarding Mississippi State.

First, from Coach Schaefer's post season press conference he was fairly open that we are still recruiting players for next year and specifically ones that are capable of starting versus freshmen that may need to develop. Therefore I think we will definitely see one or two players that he expects to push for start minutes and to help with some senior or upperclassman guidance.

Second, we have injury questions on two of the returning players that, if healthy, would be key pieces to the team. The consensus is Chloe Bibby is recovering ahead of schedule but she is still a ways from being cleared and further from proper conditioning. Promise Taylor is also recovering from a foot injury that required surgery. Evidently she is recovering but is also not cleared. Fully healthy both players start (especially Bibby) and are key players.

Third, we simply have too many new players that will be forced to play some type of role to succeed. Last year it worked out great as Anriel Howard and Andi Espinoza-Hunter both stepped up in big ways. Jessika Carter gave steady but limited backup minutes and Xaria Wiggins even stepped up when absolutely needed. It could work out again but it is not like last year when the new players would sometimes push the starters for minutes. There were times during the previous season Jazz Holmes played more minutes in a game than Morgan William as did Jordan Danberry. Chloe Bibby even came in and gave great minutes as a physical defender. We didn't have anyone that pushed this past year other than BreAmber Scott.

That leaves MSU with a lot of questions. Worst case scenario, if no new players or transfers arrive and the injured players don't heal you could be looking at a returning starting lineup of J Carter, B Scott, X Wiggins, A Espinoza-Hunter and M Taylor. You would then have to hope the freshmen are good enough to assist when needed. Hopefully, MSU will pickup a point guard such as M Moore or T Cole as well as a post capable of at least pushing for starter minutes. When everything settles I think the starting lineup consists of P Taylor, C Bibby, A Espinoza-Hunter, B Scott and a grad transfer point with a grad-transfer or JC post, J Carter, R Jackson and M Taylor as the main backups. That gives some experience off the bench that can push the starters and doesn't force the freshman into a role before they are ready.

It's true that Holmes was already systematically integrated into the team well before this year, so her being able to be starting point guard wasn't any shock. Danberry showed great flashes towards the end of last year, and I personally thought from my vantage point that she had more talent than anyone we had coming back apart from the obvious McCowan. Bre'Amber Scott's rise is quite a puzzlepiece. She showed no signs of that the year before.

Which is why it's reason to believe that someone will rise up from Vic's squad. Xaria Wiggins looked good near the end - she's very agile and added some spin moves into her game. Reason to believe she will get better. Myah showed flashes to me, though that bypassed a lot of fellow Bulldogs.

We have too many players so many dices to roll - one of them will step up in a big way, if not more. If Bre'Amber Scott was able to do it, it could be any of the other players.

I think based on who Vic is recruiting, he really wants Yemiyah Morris. Other than that, I dunno..... but definitely a grad transfer. Te'a Cooper or Minyon Moore - though the former might not be considering us at all.

Reaction Score
A decent place to move SEC bickering from other threads.

I actually like Vic Shaeffer to the degree that he does not really annoy me at all.

I haven't minded Miss State's rise much. I want to beat them, but it's not a team that I necessarily pull against.

I'm much milder in my SEC rivalries in WBB for whatever reason. I kind of enjoy Missouri. I suppose Tennessee and Kentucky are as close as I get towards not liking. Not a big Chennedy fan, but pretty ambivalent towards TAMU.

Reaction Score
A decent place to move SEC bickering from other threads.

I actually like Vic Shaeffer to the degree that he does not really annoy me at all.

I haven't minded Miss State's rise much. I want to beat them, but it's not a team that I necessarily pull against.

I'm much milder in my SEC rivalries in WBB for whatever reason. I kind of enjoy Missouri. I suppose Tennessee and Kentucky are as close as I get towards not liking. Not a big Chennedy fan, but pretty ambivalent towards TAMU.
Kinda how I feel about SC, I love Dawn both as a coach and more as a person, I feel SC is always MSST toughest opponent, in fact, I consider SC our main rival but a rival that I respect. No doubt I love for MSST to beat SC but against any team,other than MSST and UConn, I root for SC.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is wait and see for me. Mike Neighbors has proven he is a good coach, but the run they had in the SEC Tournament has been overplayed. They got hot and beat a better team, South Carolina, which occasionally happens. South Carolina would beat them 9/10. They barely beat TAMU without Chennedy Carter. They were fairly bad outside of those two games during the year.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is enough shots in the SEC for Dungee, Tolefree, and Ramirez let alone them on the same team. In all seriousness, that is a lot of swagger and a lot of offensive firepower. They will be a tough team when both are hot, but they still lack the big in the middle, which allowed Mississippi State to beat them with relative ease. A’Tyanna Gaulden was also a very highly ranked recruit.

Reaction Score
Don’t sleep on Ramirez. She’ll be an upgrade over monk just not as fast but she can really shoot. I think Chelsea Dungee caught the SEC by surprise. No one knew what to expect coming from her and her sample size was small at Oklahoma. I think next year teams will zero in on her more which should help slow down their fast paced approach. She and Ramirez will make a good 1-2 punch for neighbors. The next step for them is getting a big that can contribute offensively and defensively. I think people are overlooking Missouri and Pingeton. They will be more athletic next year with Levy, Smith, Blackwell and Frank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom