SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 20 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina
2. Miss State

Miss State patiently waiting for some SEC team to upset South Carolina or for a SEC Tournament rematch to claim a split decision in 2019-2020. The loss was at South Carolina after all.

3. LSU (but injuries )
4. TAMU
5. Tennessee
6. Arkansas
7. Kentucky

LSU, I think, has the best resume of this group. The injuries have really played a number with these teams (except Arkansas who is the team they are). The Mitchell loss is really too bad for LSU. Hate to see a senior lose the end of her season.

8. Alabama
9. Georgia
10. Florida
11. Vandy
12. Missouri
13. Auburn

I kind of think Alabama and Georgia are better than the rest, but whatever.

14. Ole Miss - pitiful.
Overall I don’t disagree. However I would say 3-7 are pretty interchangeable depending on the day. I have kept saying that I think the youth on both Mississippi State and South Carolina will eventually cause a hiccup during the conference season. However both continue to win. I do think the senior leadership in key positions that South Carolina has greatly benefited them.

Reaction Score
Overall I don’t disagree. However I would say 3-7 are pretty interchangeable depending on the day. I have kept saying that I think the youth on both Mississippi State and South Carolina will eventually cause a hiccup during the conference season. However both continue to win. I do think the senior leadership in key positions that South Carolina has greatly benefited them.

3-7 is a jumble.

The most significant question about that group is how good is TAMU when and if Carter returns?

Reaction Score
Thursday:

Tennessee at LSU

Vandy at TAMU (Carter yet?)

Auburn at South Carolina

Ole Miss at Florida

Sunday:

Texas A&M at Tennessee

Miss State at Kentucky

Alabama at Georgia

Florida at Missouri

LSU at Auburn

Arkansas at Ole Miss

Monday:

Vandy at South Carolina

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
TN with alot of Luck with both LSU and TAMU having injuries to their top player.
We played, and beat, LSU with their top player already. Wish Mitchell could play again tonight. Also, Carter very well may be back by the time we play them on Sunday.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We played, and beat, LSU with their top player already. Wish Mitchell could play again tonight. Also, Carter very well may be back by the time we play them on Sunday.
Tennessee cannot afford to lose both games of this set. Their RPI could withstand 1 loss and still make in the NCAAT but two losses would clearly put them on the bubble. Holly did Kellie no favors by scheduling the crummy OOC she did. Their current RPI is 49 and is bubble territory. However given their name, gravitas, likely SEC top 5 finish, they currently would get a bid. However if for some reason, Nikki could win the biggest game of her career at home tonight and Carter pulls a Willis Reed and leads the Aggies to victory in TBA, the longest NCAAT streak will be in real jeopardy. Personally, I think Tennessee wins tonight to make this all moot. I am rooting for my SEC brethren @SECbbfan24 to pull the upset! :cool:

Reaction Score
I don’t feel confident about tonight as I worry missing Mitchell’s physical play and size puts us at a bit in a hole. Aifuwa has to play well for us to win. I think it will be a tight game.

Like last time, I think this comes down to how well Tennessee takes care of the ball. If they limit turnovers, I give the edge to them but if they turn it over a lot, it’s going to be a issue. LSU typically plays well at home so I think they play hard, we will need to knock down open shots to have a shot. Tennessee just seems like not a great matchup due to their size and physical defense but playing at home helps some.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I think it’ll be a good, close game. Both teams really need this game...TN especially. Best of luck to you guys. Hoping our best team shows up.

Reaction Score
Florida coach should get fired if they lose to this horrible Ole Miss team

Reaction Score
Magic numbers for the Regular-season title:

South Carolina: 4 if we want to own the title out-right, 3 if we are fine with sharing it with Mississippi State. Miss State needs to win out, and hope that USC loses 2 of their remaining 5 games of Vanderbilt, LSU, @ Kentucky, @Florida, and Texas A&M to share the title, or that USC loses 3 of the remaining 5 to own it out-right. South Carolina owns the head-to-head over Miss State, but all that gives us is top SECT Seeding.

Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M, and Arkansas all have 4 losses in SEC play. So they need USC to go at least 1-4 - with the sole win not against either LSU, Kentucky, or TAMU - Miss State to go 1-3, and to win out themselves.

Miss State has the easier path over USC the rest of the way, with only 1 game left against the "top" of the pack, versus Arkansas. USC still has 3 such games, versus LSU, @ UK, and TAMU.....

Reaction Score
Magic numbers for the Regular-season title:

South Carolina: 4 if we want to own the title out-right, 3 if we are fine with sharing it with Mississippi State. Miss State needs to win out, and hope that USC loses 2 of their remaining 5 games of Vanderbilt, LSU, @ Kentucky, @Florida, and Texas A&M to share the title, or that USC loses 3 of the remaining 5 to own it out-right. South Carolina owns the head-to-head over Miss State, but all that gives us is top SECT Seeding.

Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M, and Arkansas all have 4 losses in SEC play. So they need USC to go at least 1-4 - with the sole win not against either LSU, Kentucky, or TAMU - Miss State to go 1-3, and to win out themselves.

Miss State has the easier path over USC the rest of the way, with only 1 game left against the "top" of the pack, versus Arkansas. USC still has 3 such games, versus LSU, @ UK, and TAMU.....
South Carolina has the potential for their freshmen to hit a wall as the season progresses. However I think T Harris and Herbert-Harrigan have the ability to help keep them focused and even carry the team when needed.

J Danberry is very gifted player but I haven’t seen her give the same guidance or consistency as South Carolina’s seniors. I’m very concerned as to how this team is going to respond to the UK loss.

Overall I wouldn’t be surprised if South Carolina has a hiccup. However I don’t see two hiccups.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M 73 Tennessee 71 - .

Two loss week for Tennessee has taken them from being in position to finish third in the league to the bottom of the second tier. Likely STILL safe, but it now a little bit of doubt creeping in as to their NCAA hopes.

Texas A&M on the other hand hand gets Carter back and now is playing for bettering its seed.

Kentucky 73 Miss State 62

This so far is perhaps the upset of the year in the league as far as that goes. The Cats still can help themselves with a win over South Carolina to try and stake a claim to the #3 SEC spot.

Auburn 65 LSU 60

Not the followup to the win over Tennessee, LSU would have wanted, but not wholly unexpected given Mitchell injury.

Georgia 76 Alabama 75

third tier continuing to be a muddle.

Florida 75 Missouri 67

Florida has WNIT hopes?

South Carolina 95 Vandy 44

nothing much to take away from this one except that South Carolina's perimeter game continues to flash pretty hot. Harris, Cooke, Herbert-Harrigan all around 40%+ from three and the attempts seem to be rising as the season goes on.

Arkansas 108 Ole Miss 64

Can we call a mercy rule on an entire season?

1. South Carolina (12-0)

2. Miss State (10-2)

3. TAMU (8-4)
4. Kentucky (8-4)
5. Arkansas (8-4)
6. LSU (8-4)
7. Tennessee (7-5)

8. Georgia (5-7)
9. Florida (5-7)

10. Alabama (4-8)
11. Auburn (3-9)
12. Missouri (3-9)
13. Vandy (3-9)

14. Ole Miss (0-12)

Reaction Score
Thursday

LSU @ South Carolina
Tennessee @ Arkansas
Texas A&M @ Georgia
Miss State @ Auburn
Florida @ Alabama
Missouri @ Vandy
Kentucky @ Ole Miss

Sunday

South Carolina @ Kentucky
Georgia @ LSU
Arkansas @ Florida
Auburn @ Texas A&M
Alabama @ Miss State
Vandy @ Tennessee
Ole Miss @ Missouri

Not a huge week in the SEC for matchups.

South Carolina can clinch a share of the title by winning both games this week. In general, South Carolina has a relatively difficult finish to the season drawing three of the 8 win SEC opponents in its last four, including a trip to Kentucky, to go with a road trip to Florida.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
State has a tricky road game @ Auburn who is better than their record suggests and they played us tough in the Hump very recently.

I hope we will bounce back from a disappointing game @ UK on Sunday. This is the kind of game that a young team needs to win as the last two games we have not played well. A&M , we were terrible for 2 1/2 quarters before finally waking up and playing well. We need a 40 minute consistent effort Thursday night.

Reaction Score
State has a tricky road game @ Auburn who is better than their record suggests and they played us tough in the Hump very recently.

I hope we will bounce back from a disappointing game @ UK on Sunday. This is the kind of game that a young team needs to win as the last two games we have not played well. A&M , we were terrible for 2 1/2 quarters before finally waking up and playing well. We need a 40 minute consistent effort Thursday night.
Unfortunately there is no way to predict how MSU will respond. My biggest concern is the length of the season will start to wear on our freshmen and there is no rudder to keep the ship going in the right direction. U Thompson is a high energy player that is going to hit our players early. UK did a great job of denying J Carter the ball in the post and she let them continue to do it.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately there is no way to predict how MSU will respond. My biggest concern is the length of the season will start to wear on our freshmen and there is no rudder to keep the ship going in the right direction. U Thompson is a high energy player that is going to hit our players early. UK did a great job of denying J Carter the ball in the post and she let them continue to do it.
To me the younger players are doing fine, my concern is our older players. Bibby, AEH, and recently Danberry have hit a wall, they just are not producing like we hoped. Our freshmen and sophomores are getting better and having a greater impact than expected. Bibby and AEH can help us a ton if they can hit from outside like they did last season and we need Danberry to settle us down when things get tough!

Reaction Score
Thoughts on SEC FOY??? I’ve been hearing different names so who do you think will win it?

Reaction Score
Thoughts on SEC FOY??? I’ve been hearing different names so who do you think will win it?
I still think A Boston will win it but would not be completely surprised if it was R Jackson. Boston is just steady and plays with a real understated maturity to her game. However, although I’ve only seen a limited selection of her games, I haven’t seen yet where she has put South Carolina on her back to win a game. That said I think she is a big reason South Carolina only has one loss.

In contrast R Jackson has individually willed MSU to a few wins this season and she doesn’t have the supporting cast of A Boston.

Z Cooke also deserves some mention and I think she would be a bigger factor in the race if she wasn’t on the team with Boston. Her defense on the final play of the MSU game was outstanding and she had some cluck baskets.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if Boston doesn't win it, it will be a travesty. Jackson is great, but Boston is more consistent and impactful on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
I still think A Boston will win it but would not be completely surprised if it was R Jackson. Boston is just steady and plays with a real understated maturity to her game. However, although I’ve only seen a limited selection of her games, I haven’t seen yet where she has put South Carolina on her back to win a game. That said I think she is a big reason South Carolina only has one loss.

In contrast R Jackson has individually willed MSU to a few wins this season and she doesn’t have the supporting cast of A Boston.

Z Cooke also deserves some mention and I think she would be a bigger factor in the race if she wasn’t on the team with Boston. Her defense on the final play of the MSU game was outstanding and she had some cluck baskets.

I can agree with this!

Reaction Score

I was looking at the stats and I would be shocked if it is not Boston. However Jackson might be more important to her team success.

pts rbs fg% ft% Blks stls ast Mpg
Jackson 14.3 4.8 46.6 69.1 0.5 Na NA 29.3
Boston 13.2 9.0 63.0 78.9 2.7 1.3 NA 23.5

Jackson only average 1 point more than Boston although she plays 6 more minutes a game. Boston is more efficient and she is a better defensive player.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I was looking at the stats and I would be shocked if it is not Boston. However Jackson might be more important to her team success.

pts rbs fg% ft% Blks stls ast Mpg
Jackson 14.3 4.8 46.6 69.1 0.5 Na NA 29.3
Boston 13.2 9.0 63.0 78.9 2.7 1.3 NA 23.5

Jackson only average 1 point more than Boston although she plays 6 more minutes a game. Boston is more efficient and she is a better defensive player.

South Carolina fans can keep arguing that Boston deserves it over Jackson. I honestly couldn't care less. I say let Boston have the award because she's gotten more talk and more hype surrounding her this year. That means she's probably gonna win it.

Btw, Rickea is up to 15.0 points per game after last night's effort against Auburn. Rebounding and blocks will always favor Boston. Also, Rickea's field goal percentage at .477 is impressive for her position (Vivians had sub .350 for parts of her career) where Boston you'd expect that type of stat from her spot.

Again, not arguing who deserves it or not... but just wanna update you on the stats a little bit.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
South Carolina fans can keep arguing that Boston deserves it over Jackson. I honestly couldn't care less. I say let Boston have the award because she's gotten more talk and more hype surrounding her this year. That means she's probably gonna win it.

Btw, Rickea is up to 15.0 points per game after last night's effort against Auburn. Rebounding and blocks will always favor Boston. Also, Rickea's field goal percentage at .477 is impressive for her position (Vivians had sub .350 for parts of her career) where Boston you'd expect that type of stat from her spot.

Again, not arguing who deserves it or not... but just wanna update you on the stats a little bit.
Stats aside...Boston puts up good numbers but she limits her numbers because she doesn't HAVE to carry the team. That is the missing key to this argument...or discussion if you will. If Boston needed to score 25 points a game.....she could. The fact that her stats are lower is more in the need...than in what she is actually capable of.....Boston is the most impactful player because she plays her role and does it better than anyone in the SEC this year. She gets my vote for sure....

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Stats aside...Boston puts up good numbers but she limits her numbers because she doesn't HAVE to carry the team. That is the missing key to this argument...or discussion if you will. If Boston needed to score 25 points a game.....she could. The fact that her stats are lower is more in the need...than in what she is actually capable of.....Boston is the most impactful player because she plays her role and does it better than anyone in the SEC this year. She gets my vote for sure....

Of course. And I think that's the chief argument for Lauren Cox too. Stats don't jump off the page, but she has too many other players around her that she can just... chill.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom