OT: - Sean Miller's comments after Colorado beats Arizona | The Boneyard

OT: Sean Miller's comments after Colorado beats Arizona

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
"You always want your team to play for you as the coach and our guys, they really struggled playing for me — they really do," Arizona coach Sean Miller said. "I can't get them to play hard. We do it for a while. I know we've had a win streak.

"With our team, it's really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can. That's not them. That's me. I have a hard time reaching our guys."

Article: Colorado springs another upset, beats No. 14 Arizona 80-77

That's an interesting thing to hear a coach say.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It’s him being a good coach, in my opinion. Nothing crazy being said.

He’s calling them out, but saying “my job to figure out how to get them to do it” which is always the case, but to varying degrees.

I know he bothers some people but I’ve always liked Miller. I like that statement and tactic by him too.

Comparing to Ollie, the issue I’d think most have isn’t the direct connection with what he said, but that he’s acknowledging trying to do things to get guys to play a certain way, and recognizing he’s not succeeding fully.

Seems Ollie used to say clever coaching type sayings, now it all just sounds like vague nothingness. And that’s definitely scary, if that’s where he is. Only hope he’s got more ideas in the tank than we see.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun said way back in the early 90's that the hardest thing to teach most players is how to give 100% every single second of every single possession. That's most of the reason why he was so tough on his players. He wanted to push them to give everything they had, every moment.

Calhoun was a master motivator...a true savant of lighting a fire inside his players. It's a very underrated talent for a coach to have.

I have to say in my experience as a soccer coach, early on I didn't get it either. But there's nothing more frustrating or heartbreaking than a kid with worlds of talent but no drive or will to be better. You can't just tell them to focus more or try harder. It's a skill bordering on artform.

Reaction Score
The team plays with spurts of motivation. They just lack any semblance of discipline, skill or cohesion as a team. Today's basketball game was a new low. It was the very worst basketball I have ever seen UConn play from a qualitative perspective. It was like watching a pick-up game. KO should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Reaction Score
"You always want your team to play for you as the coach and our guys, they really struggled playing for me — they really do," Arizona coach Sean Miller said. "I can't get them to play hard. We do it for a while. I know we've had a win streak.

"With our team, it's really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can. That's not them. That's me. I have a hard time reaching our guys."

Article: Colorado springs another upset, beats No. 14 Arizona 80-77

That's an interesting thing to hear a coach say.
This is a coach admitting shortcomings. He has some serious talent to work with on his team and that’s more than can be said for us. In other words he has somewhere his team theoretically can go.

Reaction Score
We don't know what he said to the team or an individual in the locker room before this

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The team plays with spurts of motivation. They just lack any semblance of discipline, skill or cohesion as a team. Today's basketball game was a new low. It was the very worst basketball I have ever seen UConn play from a qualitative perspective. It was like watching a pick-up game. KO should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Did you miss the Arkansas game? Not saying much, but that was worse than today.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I need Kevin Ollie to stand up and say that he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Are you kidding me, some accountability would be refreshing.

Reaction Score
Literally all I want is a coach who can run a more complex offense than I run with my 6th/7th grade town team

Reaction Score

How long have you been a fan, 2-3 years? There have been many worst over many years, some with really good players.

Reaction Score
As far as Sean he is only speaking the truth. While he is an overrated coach he's better than this. This team is underachieving as hell right now and it can't be all on him.

I do think KO would be right in calling out his leaders at some point and probably should. Maybe he shouldn't just call them out he should sit them when the effort isn't at peak. I know it's hard as they are the only means of points at times, but they get away with a lot because of this and that makes it tough to make your point.

Reaction Score
To all the Ollie haters; all of the boneyard will be calling for Miller's head right now since he not made a final four with all that talent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My take on his comments is that he's publicly throwing his players under the bus. The closing statement that it is on him was a backhanded way of criticizing them and his closing statement of blaming himself was a weak means of giving himself an out if questioned on why he isn't also holding himself accountable.

I know some here view Miller as something great and get wet when dreaming about him coming here to coach. The thing is, I can remember a couple of tournament games where he pulled defeat from the jaws of victory and the best thing about him as a coach, his recruiting, now appears to be less about salesmanship and more about purchasing.

Reaction Score
My take on his comments is that he's publicly throwing his players under the bus. The closing statement that it is on him was a backhanded way of criticizing them and his closing statement of blaming himself was a weak means of giving himself an out if questioned on why he isn't also holding himself accountable.

I know some here view Miller as something great and get wet when dreaming about him coming here to coach. The thing is, I can remember a couple of tournament games where he pulled defeat from the jaws of victory and the best thing about him as a coach, his recruiting, now appears to be less about salesmanship and more about purchasing.

I like Miller as a coach. But your first paragraph is dead on. He's not really blaming himself. He's just acknowledging that he's still responsible for the team's record even though he can't do better because his players aren't working hard enough.

Reaction Score
I like Miller as a coach. But your first paragraph is dead on. He's not really blaming himself. He's just acknowledging that he's still responsible for the team's record even though he can't do better because his players aren't working hard enough.

It's definitely an indictment of his players, but it's the kind of statement a coach can make when he has a very, very talented team that's in no real danger of missing the tournament and has just played far below its ceiling.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's definitely an indictment of his players, but it's the kind of statement a coach can make when he has a very, very talented team that's in no real danger of missing the tournament and has just played far below its ceiling.

I don’t see what people are seeing as far as this quote. He’s the coach, he knows whether his guys are doing what he’s asking.

He’s “calling out” his players for not doing what he needs them to do to win.

Happens all the time, and no one really knows where the % of Blake lies between player and coach as to why.

But the PLAYERS are losing and the coach is telling them they’re not listening and doing the things he needs them to do to win, and it’s on both parties to fix it.

That doesn’t ring as a “call out” to me, it’s reality at some level on every team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom