Sean Miller is done | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Sean Miller is done

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It will be a negotiated buyout. The NCAA investigation gives the university some leverage. Ollie can play ball and negotiate or risk leaving with nothing should he get canned for cause. It’ll be a high stakes game of Deal or No Deal.
It will be a negotiated buyout but not in the way you are describing. For the school to have leverage they will need to wait for the investigation to play out. To do so they cannot fire KO as quickly as you (and many others) would like.

Unlike the boneyard, there will be reasonable people on both sides of this discussing a solution that all sides can live with. Not all negotiations feature both sides with guns drawn, waiting for the other to flinch.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that theory (I have heard quite a few on this board propose it).

If cause will be due to the current investigation, it can't really be used until the investigation is completed and the results are released. The only other options would lead to a very contentious separation which would not be good for the school.

My belief is an amicable agreement between KO and the school will be reached (and may already be in discussion). KO could find an NBA assistant job (he is very well liked by many in the NBA) and give the school a number of years to pay the difference between his current contract & his NBA assistant salaries. This is just a guess.
I tend to agree that this is what SHOULD happen. But KO has proven to be stubborn and his judgment lately is suspect, at best. If he insists on getting the full buyout, UConn has to be prepared to play hardball. Technically, yes, that is what the contract says. But if he thinks he has delivered on his half of the deal, he is stupid, delusional or both. And, if he realizes he has failed, where is his love for the program by holding them hostage to their half of the deal? Be an honorable man and strike a deal. And, no, that does NOT mean he should leave 10mil on the table. He should leave about half. If he plays hardball, he is not an honorable man. Period.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree that this is what SHOULD happen. But KO has proven to be stubborn and his judgment lately is suspect, at best. If he insists on getting the full buyout, UConn has to be prepared to play hardball. Technically, yes, that is what the contract says. But if he thinks he has delivered on his half of the deal, he is stupid, delusional or both. And, if he realizes he has failed, where is his love for the program by holding them hostage to their half of the deal? Be an honorable man and strike a deal. And, no, that does NOT mean he should leave 10mil on the table. He should leave about half. If he plays hardball, he is not an honorable man. Period.

Lol

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is all assuming there's nothing that can be considered "cause." I'm not a lawyer so I don't really know exactly what constitutes cause but there was enough crap going on besides the NCAA investigation that might give us a leg to stand on. Ideally all that gets handled privately and an NDA gets signed

Not a lawyer either, but 'For Cause' is typically a pretty high bar. Materially damaging the schools reputation (like Pitino or Paterno), major breaches of ethics, etc. Has nothing to do with performance or personal life (unless a law was broken).

Reaction Score
Ayton just denied accepting anything. Hard to convict for just talking about money.

Reaction Score
Izzo and Bridges both saying “it’s over” he was cleared to play by the NCAA? How do we get investigated for eons and for others it’s a half day?

Reaction Score
Izzo and Bridges both saying “it’s over” he was cleared to play by the NCAA? How do we get investigated for eons and for others it’s a half day?
NCAA didn't clear. The NCAA put it back on the schools and the schools self-cleared - nope, nothing to see here. NCAA hasn't lifted a finger on this yet and won't until the Feds have their say.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
NCAA didn't clear. The NCAA put it back on the schools and the schools self-cleared - nope, nothing to see here. NCAA hasn't lifted a finger on this yet and won't until the Feds have their say.

I'm sure the Feds are giving them nothing, as they don't want the NCAA to @#$! it up. That's why they kept them in the dark about the whole thing before it broke.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the Feds are giving them nothing, as they don't want the NCAA to @#$! it up. That's why they kept them in the dark about the whole thing before it broke.
it'll be interesting to see what they eventually turn over to the NCAA. that's when the ball is going to finally drop.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It does, which makes you wonder whether Waters is the fulcrum.
if I had to take a blind guess, I think they're looking into our alumni "randomly" showing up to places and talking to recruits.

worst case scenario if there's any talk about money

intlzncster

Reaction Score
if I had to take a blind guess, I think they're looking into our alumni "randomly" showing up to places and talking to recruits.
worst case scenario if there's any talk about money

If so, I hope it's just words, and not FBI documentation. Words we can work with.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is hoping that the FBI case takes years so they can invoke the statute of limitations on the heavy hitters and keep the status quo. Either that or after the federal case the NCAA investigation takes so many additional years that all the coaches involved have retired and they disperse the crowd saying "nothing to be seen here". Either way the bottom line is staus quo.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is hoping that the FBI case takes years so they can invoke the statute of limitations on the heavy hitters and keep the status quo. Either that or after the federal case the NCAA investigation takes so many additional years that all the coaches involved have retired and they disperse the crowd saying "nothing to be seen here". Either way the bottom line is staus quo.
That might be what they want but it isn’t what they’ll get. If there are indictments and more arrests they’ll happen over the next few months at most.

Reaction Score
Not a lawyer either, but 'For Cause' is typically a pretty high bar. Materially damaging the schools reputation (like Pitino or Paterno), major breaches of ethics, etc. Has nothing to do with performance or personal life (unless a law was broken).

Cause could very well be performance based. It all depends on the contract terms.

Reaction Score

Let’s hope the FBI knows what the Statute of Limitations is. Lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe for cause is defined in the contract. Failure to follow NCAA rules is a specific item but I’m sure not the only one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cause could very well be performance based. It all depends on the contract terms.
I believe for cause is defined in the contract. Failure to follow NCAA rules is a specific item but I’m sure not the only one.

No doubt there are multiple things in there, but I'm guessing very few if any coach/agent is agreeing to negative performance 'cause' clause. There's performance incentives mind you.

But the whole point of a buyout is to protect your arse from firing, ie give you security. It also gives the school security if you do well, by restricting your movement.

Again, no lawyer here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom