Scrimmage at the Rent today? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Scrimmage at the Rent today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they show up week 1 with 6 true freshman in the 2 deep God bless us all because it's going to be a long year. .

I would have thought you would have been on the side of the best players play regardless of class year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are in mid season form . Not sure why you even bother.

The past few months you seemed to have mellowed.

Oh well....enjoy bringing us down with "your" reality.

Do you ever actually post anything about football or is every post just criticizing and commenting on other posters?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would have thought you would have been on the side of the best players play regardless of class year.

Different conversation but the red flag would be if those are your best players - you've got some real issues.

Reaction Score
Different conversation but the red flag would be if those are your best players - you've got some real issues.

Oh hell, we know we have real issues;) - but I'm okay if they are recruiting over past "projects".

Point taken though... have to see "where" it occurs if it occurs to that level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh hell, we know we have real issues;) - but I'm okay if they are recruiting over past "projects".

Point taken though... have to see "where" it occurs if it occurs to that level.

Sure, but if they are going to have a good season in 2015 it is going to take the staff turning some of those projects into players.

Remember what ol Bob said himself - every true freshman you play costs you a win over the course of a season ... or something equally silly but that was the jist.

Reaction Score
The two deep changes?! The things you learn. If they show up week 1 with 6 true freshman in the 2 deep God bless us all because it's going to be a long year.

Ohio St had 8 true freshmen on their 2 deep last year: 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 H-back, 2 LB, 1 CB, and the K, and I think they had a decent season last year. :) Typically, skill players are able to contribute early, but you would prefer linemen to redshirt. My guess is that some freshman WRs and TEs will contribute, but freshmen linemen will only contribute in a jam.

My suggestion: let's see how the first few games go before we write off the season.

Reaction Score
Do you ever actually post anything about football or is every post just criticizing and commenting on other posters?

Thats a pretty weak response. The answer is yes I do post things about football, but you are so wrapped up in your contrarian recruiting, you miss them.

Silly of me to take you off ignore.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thats a pretty weak response. The answer is yes I do post things about football, but you are so wrapped up in your contrarian recruiting, you miss them.

Silly of me to take you off ignore.

I certainly never asked you to - seemed odd since you felt the need to post about it a dozen times.

Just block everyone who disagrees with you and you are all set
right? Gotta be careful - you don't want to mistakingly consider something that isn't in alignment with your steadfast beliefs.

Reaction Score
I am wondering if there will be a scrimmage again this Saturday. Wednesday is open practice for press right?

Reaction Score
Seems to me that there is good news and bad news from this scrimmage. Good: it seems like we have a quarterback. And it sounds like we have a guy to make some plays as a receiver. The defense could be pretty good but hard to tell because they are going against our offense. But to me the qb is huge.

The bad news is the opine still is awful apparently. And this team is again undisciplined. False starts and delay of game are just unacceptable. Those are discipline penalties. Yes you would expect the defense to be ahead of the offense but given our struggles on offense it remains a huge concern.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that there is good news and bad news from this scrimmage. Good: it seems like we have a quarterback. And it sounds like we have a guy to make some plays as a receiver. The defense could be pretty good but hard to tell because they are going against our offense. But to me the qb is huge.

The bad news is the opine still is awful apparently. And this team is again undisciplined. False starts and delay of game are just unacceptable. Those are discipline penalties. Yes you would expect the defense to be ahead of the offense but given our struggles on offense it remains a huge concern.

But good that they make these mistakes now and have time to learn from them. Hoping there is another scrimmage this Saturday with more favorable results.

Reaction Score
I honestly hope that the Nostical's and Sportsart's of the board are right about this team.

I literally have no idea what to expect against Nova, but based on the reports coming out of the scrimmage? Huge concerns.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, does anyone know of the media availability schedule for the remaining camp weeks? In the media day we learned they'd be there on Wednesday and get to see the scrimmage on Saturday, but I can't recall anything after that. Basically I'm wondering when we get our next set of information scraps. Sept 3rd feels so far away!

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, does anyone know of the media availability schedule for the remaining camp weeks? In the media day we learned they'd be there on Wednesday and get to see the scrimmage on Saturday, but I can't recall anything after that. Basically I'm wondering when we get our next set of information scraps. Sept 3rd feels so far away!
I think they are done for the remainder of camp.

Reaction Score
I have a tepid excitement for this season. As a whole I'm not too concerned that the D whooped up the O in the scrimmage because the D is supposed to be ahead at this time of the year and there is no question our D is going to very stout this year. However the loss of Crozier coupled with the fact that 4 and 5th year guys like Gifford, Rugg and Nwokeji can't beat out the rookie 18 year olds leaves me a little nervous. You have to assume that these veterans have a much greater grasp on the playbook and are physically stronger and more mature, yet they can't beat out guys like Peart, Oak, Hashemi, and Rutherford? Hopefully that says more about the young bucks but its not as if these guys were heavily recruited big commits coming in. Still despite that if our D can carry us. And we can power run with the freight train that is Ron Johnson, and some how get some big home run plays from NT, AN, DB, or BL maybe we can win a bunch of close low scoring games. I'll take any game that is close competitive and shows we are making progress.

Reaction Score
We keep hiring head coaches that came from the defensive side of the ball, yet no one can figure out why our offenses lag behind.

We keep hiring head coaches that came from the defensive side of the ball, yet no one can figure out why our offenses lag behind.

Edsall, Pasqualoni, Diaco, what do they have in common?

Reaction Score
I'm right there with Jimmy. I have no idea what to expect come Nova. I think the D will be solid, per usual, but after that....no clue. The OL was going to be average at best (which is a big upgrade from last couple years) before Crozier was lost for the season. That, and a lot of young guys already in the 2 deep, this gives me the jitters. RB's are a known commodity, and should be improved with the additional year in the system...but they go as the OL goes. The WR's sound like they should be solid, but we did lose a lot there so still a TBD. At least we have a more mobile QB than in years past. Crossing my fingers and toes. I could see us opening 2-0 as easily as I could see us opening 0-2 (which would most likely mean 0-12)

Nova is replacing most of their OL and their top WR and RB, so hopefully they need a few games to get their stuff together... (and my last sentence is a great example of how pathetic my view of UConn FB is right now. Happy that a FCS opponent has an inexperienced line to give us a better chance to win a game... oy)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Playing catch up after being out most of the day - snapshot of comments/coverage FWIW (let out Des because his article above is redundant to tweets)"

NeillOstrout3:47pm via Twitter for iPhone
First UConn football scrimmage in the books at The Rent (The Pratt?). Defense well ahead of the offense, which is somewhat to be expected.

NeillOstrout3:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
Not a lot of scoring. S Anthony Watkins on a 50-yard pick-6 of Tim Boyle and Max DeLorenzo's late 14-yard run the only TDs.

NHRJimFuller3:55pm via TweetDeck
Couple of nice sideline catches by junior receiver Noel Thomas were highlights on a tough scrimmage for#UConn offense

NHRJimFuller3:56pm via TweetDeck
2nd straight #UConn practice I was at that true freshman WR Tyraiq Beals, OL Matt Peart and DL David Ryslik were seeing 2nd-team reps

NeillOstrout4:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn QB stats from today's scrimmage from the only idiot keeping them today, I think: Shirreffs 10-15-1 108 yards. Boyle 2-6-2 43 yards.

NeillOstrout4:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
Garrett Anderson 3-for-6 40 yards (I may have missed a throw or 2). Tyler Davis 1-for-4 13 yards. Brandon Bisack 1-for-1 15 yards.
The Sun, Air and S Anthony Watkins on a 50-yard pick-6 of Tim Boyle

Reaction Score

The answer is:

What is not having a QB that appeared capable of playing at the Div 1 level. As an FYI...generally speaking head coaches don't call the offensive plays. Just sayin'....

As another FYI...PP may have had a QB that was capable but...oh never mind.

Reaction Score

Pal....Pasqualoni's main offensive issue was he brought his buddy George with him.

Reaction Score
Of btw those of you who are still holding a candle for Boyle to lead us to the promise land, did anyone look at his stats from Saturday? He completed as many to the defense as to his guys and had another pick-6. Ok X-men. Let the excuses roll.

Reaction Score
Edsall and Diaco have nothing in common with Pasqualoni.
We hope that's true. But it really remains to be seen, no? It remains a scary possibility that Edsall has nothing in common with the other two.

Reaction Score
In Diaco we trust... it's a must... because we can't do anything else but b**** and moan, which does no good. He said he's not concerned about the offense at this point. we'll at least know a lot more a week from today, like the depth chart for the Nova game... gives them pretty much 10 days to get everybody in gear for the game...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My faith is resting on the idea that they can't be as bad as last year (can they?) And that even a slight improvement in turnovers and offensive play would have won 3 more games last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom