Scrimmage at the Rent today? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scrimmage at the Rent today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was there in an entirely non-official (sneaking in) capacity and was able to fly under the radar for a good 40 minutes or so before being spotted by someone. I don't want to say too much but let's just say that the defense looks incredible--very, very quick. They swarmed the ball and the d-line was particularly impressive (hoping that has more to do with their skill level and less to do with the o line lacking). Bryant is heads and shoulders above anyone else at QB. Quick drop back, quick release, pretty good accuracy on short routes. Had one great pass down field towards the sideline (think it was to Noel Thomas??). O line looked improved to me and was performing better in the run game than pass protection where things were collapsing rather quickly on occasion. While D line was the best performance, I was definitely happy with Newsome. Had a very pretty draw play for about 15 yards and seems to be able to run inside with a bit more success this year. Took a hard hit on one play and kept driving his feet and moving forward. Running backs all looked good. Ron Johnson was a bus per usual. Hopefully I haven't pulled a Benedict Arnold here or revealed anything substantial...I'm not quite sure what the rules of the game are in regards to that. If I have, just let me know and I'll quickly delete.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Also, G. Anderson has a great pass down the right side of the field but was pretty unimpressive outside of that. He is very large and didn't spend too much time inside of the pocket. Was getting sacked a lot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wrong kind of official Whaler...look at his above post...Stadium familiarity tour

Ah I thought 'box' might be the officials box. Which is the down marker for those who aren't familiar with the term.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't think you have blown UConn football's cover with this report. Nothing too revealing here.

I was there in an entirely non-official (sneaking in) capacity and was able to fly under the radar for a good 40 minutes or so before being spotted by someone. I don't want to say too much but let's just say that the defense looks incredible--very, very quick. They swarmed the ball and the d-line was particularly impressive (hoping that has more to do with their skill level and less to do with the o line lacking). Bryant is heads and shoulders above anyone else at QB. Quick drop back, quick release, pretty good accuracy on short routes. Had one great pass down field towards the sideline (think it was to Noel Thomas??). O line looked improved to me and was performing better in the run game than pass protection where things were collapsing rather quickly on occasion. While D line was the best performance, I was definitely happy with Newsome. Had a very pretty draw play for about 15 yards and seems to be able to run inside with a bit more success this year. Took a hard hit on one play and kept driving his feet and moving forward. Running backs all looked good. Ron Johnson was a bus per usual. Hopefully I haven't pulled a Benedict Arnold here or revealed anything substantial...I'm not quite sure what the rules of the game are in regards to that. If I have, just let me know and I'll quickly delete.
on

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't think you have blown UConn football's cover with this report. Nothing too revealing here.

on
Thought so....just wanted to be extra safe. I was also only there for about 1/4 or 1/3 of the scrimmage, so I don't have the whole picture. The offense apparently only scored one touchdown, but I don't think they looked that bad. Run game looked good, short passes good, medium/long passes were off mark a lot. We'll be fine.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So, a little better run blocking, still lost in pass protection and still unable to score against a decent defense. Look to reduce game killing turnovers and for a surge at the end of the season. Bowl game is still the goal. Losing to Nova or Army is still unacceptable.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Interesting to hear that he's changing his tune on playing true frosh. I would've hoped that the current group of WRs was far enough ahead to eliminate that possibility.

Reaction Score
Ok so a little over a week in Sherrifs has pretty much sowed up the #1 QB spot which is great news. The offense can cohere faster. We all knew the O-line was going to be a work in progress especially after losing the projected #1 center so they have what.....about 5 weeks to get it together before Missouri? Not a problem :eek: Defense is awesome...good to hear. So.... Verducci and Cummings have some work to do. Get er done!!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
To put it lightly, Verducci is very fiery. Was overheard screaming at a player, "I don't want to hear from you unless your mother died" after being approached following a three and out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see who it was that he was screaming at.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting to hear that he's changing his tune on playing true frosh. I would've hoped that the current group of WRs was far enough ahead to eliminate that possibility.

Yes, very interesting indeed. I would think our relatively large WR group would have all the true frosh on the bench w/o a whiff of a chance in 2015.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The OL comments concern me. I thought we made some progress in the 2nd half last year but probably a bit of a learning curve under a new coach. We can't afford to cut our playbook in half for the first few games of the year, like we essentially did last year.

Reaction Score
Playing catch up after being out most of the day - snapshot of comments/coverage FWIW (let out Des because his article above is redundant to tweets)"

NeillOstrout3:47pm via Twitter for iPhone
First UConn football scrimmage in the books at The Rent (The Pratt?). Defense well ahead of the offense, which is somewhat to be expected.

NeillOstrout3:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
Not a lot of scoring. S Anthony Watkins on a 50-yard pick-6 of Tim Boyle and Max DeLorenzo's late 14-yard run the only TDs.

NHRJimFuller3:55pm via TweetDeck
Couple of nice sideline catches by junior receiver Noel Thomas were highlights on a tough scrimmage for#UConn offense

NHRJimFuller3:56pm via TweetDeck
2nd straight #UConn practice I was at that true freshman WR Tyraiq Beals, OL Matt Peart and DL David Ryslik were seeing 2nd-team reps

NeillOstrout4:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn QB stats from today's scrimmage from the only idiot keeping them today, I think: Shirreffs 10-15-1 108 yards. Boyle 2-6-2 43 yards.

NeillOstrout4:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
Garrett Anderson 3-for-6 40 yards (I may have missed a throw or 2). Tyler Davis 1-for-4 13 yards. Brandon Bisack 1-for-1 15 yards.

Reaction Score
Tough to hear some parts as the mic was facing the wind it appears.:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member