Scouting UConn-Illinois | The Boneyard

Scouting UConn-Illinois

Reaction Score
This YouTube scouting video is interesting. I think the key will limit the amount of times Shannon gets downhill, and Clingan staying out of foul trouble so he can rim protect when Shannon does.

Clingan and Castle Are going to be even more important than usual, particularly on defense. If the refs let them play, that would be great.

Reaction Score
What we can't afford is Clingan picking up fouls trying to get rebounds on the offensive end. At least in the first half, he shouldn't be risking over-the-back calls or reach-ins after his own missed shot, which happened twice last night. I get that it's frustrating to miss down low, but we need him available the whole way against Illinois.

It's amazing to me how many times I post something on here only to find someone else posted something similar seconds ahead of me.

Reaction Score
I'm going to sound all conspiracy theorist here, and I think we'll win either way, but I think it's fair to say the NCAA would be happy not having everyone talking about Shannon during Final Four week.
Interesting point. So they put IL with us hoping they don’t advance…hopefully the refs get the memo

Reaction Score
I agree on the NCAA wanting Shannon to get eliminated. It’s a bad look.

Reaction Score
We have answers for Shannon. Some of the matchups that could be interesting are a taller Domask booty balling a smaller Spencer. Their backup big also brings a lot of girth and will give Samson issues. Hawkins pulling Cling away from rim could also be problemsome, but if they want to win by letting their 5 shoot threes, so be it.

Reaction Score
If you look at and pay attention to all the scouting reports out there. Its all about this player vs. that player or offensive stats vs defensive stats, etc.
The point that they miss about UConn is how much better shape our team is vs. everyone else.
Ledee scores just about all his points in the first half, and is very physical with Clingan in the post. What happens in the second half? All his energy is gone and he disappears.
A team can choose if they spend all their energy on offense and not defense or the reverse. But at some point, UConn's energy and stamina will wear you out and its off to the races.

Reaction Score
[
I'm going to sound all conspiracy theorist here, and I think we'll win either way, but I think it's fair to say the NCAA would be happy not having everyone talking about Shannon during Final Four week.
[/QUOTE]
Excuse my ignorance, what did Shannon do?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
[
[/QUOTE]
Feel free to use Google; threads have been locked over discussing it

Reaction Score
If you look at and pay attention to all the scouting reports out there. Its all about this player vs. that player or offensive stats vs defensive stats, etc.
The point that they miss about UConn is how much better shape our team is vs. everyone else.
Ledee scores just about all his points in the first half, and is very physical with Clingan in the post. What happens in the second half? All his energy is gone and he disappears.
A team can choose if they spend all their energy on offense and not defense or the reverse. But at some point, UConn's energy and stamina will wear you out and its off to the races.
I said in the chat last night that SD would wear down eventually and they did. Our team defense is greater than our individual defense and our fitness is really an X factor.

Reaction Score
We have answers for Shannon. Some of the matchups that could be interesting are a taller Domask booty balling a smaller Spencer. Their backup big also brings a lot of girth and will give Samson issues. Hawkins pulling Cling away from rim could also be problemsome, but if they want to win by letting their 5 shoot threes, so be it.
Meh. The only guy that demonstrably "smaller" than Domask is Diarra. Spencer may give up 2" and 10 lb, but that isn't that much. Newton gives up 1" and 20 lb. I think both can do an effective job. I don't see Illinois beating us by having a guard posting up every other trip down the floor. That's a recipe for a stagnant offense if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Feel free to use Google; threads have been locked over discussing it

Suffice to say that was he is accused of is abhorrent, but limited enough that there is no "evidence" to support or not support the accusation. Any actual court action will depend on what other witness testimony can or can't corroborate.

But, he was suspended early in the year and he filed for an injunction and won, so the university cannot stop him from playing.

Definitely a PR disaster - if - CBS covers it

Reaction Score
I agree on the NCAA wanting Shannon to get eliminated. It’s a bad look.
Interesting you all brought this up. You know who else mentioned this? John Fanta in the Field of 68 coverage last night (or early this morning). Start watching at the 7:30 mark.

Reaction Score
UConn just put up 82 points against the 11th ranked defense. Illinois defense is ranked 84. UConn should pick them apart on offense. Sure illinois may score more than most, but UConn has the skill to stop Illinois. Illinois won’t stop UConn.

Reaction Score
This will be a very difficult matchup for Clingan. Hawkins shoots 38% from 3 and can drive. I think this game may require a fair amount of SJ/Karaban at the 5.

Reaction Score
Without looking at individual matchups, there is a very strong analogy between this game and last year's Elite 8 against Gonzaga.

2023: we finished #3 O, #7 D; Gonzaga were #1 O, #73 D. Our offense had our way (as expected), but our D easily won the battle of unstoppable force vs. immovable object. Timme foul trouble helped.

2024: we're #1 O, #6 D; Illinois is #2 O, #84 D. I don't think they can stop our offense (barring foul trouble), but it's possible that even an offense as talented as their we may find a way to slow down.

Reaction Score
The University can’t suspend him but the coach doesn’t have to play him…
In this day and age, I could see a player suing a coach if that were to happen

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The University can’t suspend him but the coach doesn’t have to play him…
I’m certain any coach in the country would sit his best player when the legal system and university grant him ability to play.

Reaction Score
We have answers for Shannon. Some of the matchups that could be interesting are a taller Domask booty balling a smaller Spencer. Their backup big also brings a lot of girth and will give Samson issues. Hawkins pulling Cling away from rim could also be problem some, but if they want to win by letting their 5 shoot threes, so be it.
Hawkins plays the 3/4 even though he's 6'10. Iowa State big guarded Guerrier while Hawkins stayed almost exclusively around the 3 point line so I think Karaban gets him.

Reaction Score
If Rodgers, Goode and Guerrier play well, this game will be close. When the supporting cast plays with energy, rebounds and hits open 3s, the illinois team is a top 10 squad. We will see what happens. Uconn probably beats them 7 of 10 times in a series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom