OT: - ScoutHoop's Evan Daniels on Steven Enoch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: ScoutHoop's Evan Daniels on Steven Enoch

Reaction Score
But why does Pitino have this rep with big men? Dieng?
Ville fans have been complaining about the development of their big men.

Just a guess here, but maybe because Pitino is one of the 5 best college coaches of the past 30 years...

Reaction Score
Guy has offensive potential, for sure.

Can't stay on the court to develop because of his defense. Off year will help I'm sure, but needs a coach to just not give a damn about winning for a year and let him take his lumps for a while until the light bulb clicks on for the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Who the heck is Evan Daniels and why should anybody care about anything he has to say about anything???

One of the bigger CBB recruiting guys. Not that it makes him right about Enoch, but I don't think there's any denying he has the potential to be good. Though at this point it seems almost a given that he'll never realize that potential

C

Chief00

Rothstein said he looked good in practices the past couple of years as well, when the lights came on for real it was a different story
He was the best offensive Big in practice last season.
I never could never understand Coach Miller’s going to Brimah early in the game and usually coming up with nothing but turnovers yet when Enoch was in the game his number was seldom called.

Reaction Score
I have never seen a player so lost on defense, ever.

That said, the kid has an NBA body and some offensive tools. If he works hard, he could wind up surprising lots of people here.

Reaction Score
He was the best offensive Big in practice last season.
I never could never understand Coach Miller’s going to Brimah early in the game and usually coming up with nothing but turnovers yet when Enoch was in the game his number was seldom called.
Maybe why Coach Miller got fired and Ollie got promoted

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Rothstein said he looked good in practices the past couple of years as well, when the lights came on for real it was a different story.

One of the bigger CBB recruiting guys. Not that it makes him right about Enoch ...

And ... this is why I trust my eyes more than the rankings.

Enoch has a basketball body, good hands, and some decent moves.

He had no lateral speed and couldnt seem to get enough game reps to learn to finish, even when the move itself looked pretty.

Has the potential if anyone can get him to work hard.

429 should be one of the "bigger CBB recruiting guys." This is spot on.

Reaction Score
Just a guess here, but maybe because Pitino is one of the 5 best college coaches of the past 30 years...

And what does that have to do with developing big men?
All reports from Ville indicate he was not doing a very good job. If anything, these new coaches might be better at it! Or they could be even worse. But usually, when you're not doing a good job, you hope the next guy will do better than the guy not doing a good job. And sometimes Diaco follows Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
Enoch has a basketball body, good hands, and some decent moves.

He had no lateral speed and couldnt seem to get enough game reps to learn to finish, even when the move itself looked pretty.

Has the potential if anyone can get him to work hard.
This could describe a lot of Div 1 Centers. Its your last sentence that makes all the difference.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oh so we're still in denial about Enoch? Really would've hoped people would be over it by now. Rick pitino didn't give him a scholarship out of good will, there's plenty of talent there, even if it didn't manifest itself for us.

Reaction Score
And ... this is why I trust my eyes more than the rankings.

429 should be one of the "bigger CBB recruiting guys." This is spot on.

Put in a good word for me. I wouldnt mind getting paid to tweet ;)

pj

Reaction Score
Oh so we're still in denial about Enoch? Really would've hoped people would be over it by now. Rick pitino didn't give him a scholarship out of good will, there's plenty of talent there, even if it didn't manifest itself for us.

There's plenty of talent there, and I'm glad Louisville has it. I'd rather root for guys like Carlton, Whaley, Cobb, and Diarra.

Reaction Score
Enoch also had to play looking over his shoulder all season. He think he will have a solid college career.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This could describe a lot of Div 1 Centers. Its your last sentence that makes all the difference.
Agreed. Attributed to Calvin Coolidge. I'd take out the "omnipotent"
and just say essential:
images

Reaction Score
We dislike him for leaving and diminish whatever talent he had, i get that, but don't be surprised if he turns into a decent player because he has offensive skills and a big body, he has tools to work with.

Reaction Score
We dislike him for leaving and diminish whatever talent he had, i get that, but don't be surprised if he turns into a decent player because he has offensive skills and a big body, he has tools to work with.
Still, last year you’re talking about one of the biggest gaps between talent and production in the country.

He’s a fluid athlete with a great frame, but he’s struggled at every stop with his FG%. He had the opportunity to win a ton of PT on a pretty bad team with no depth, and still couldn’t. Those are big red flags even with his high ceiling.

Now Enoch has to learn from a rookie HC who only got his job as the result of a massive scandal where one of the highest paid coaches in the game got fired. Rough situation for a kid who really needs to be coached up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still, last year you’re talking about one of the biggest gaps between talent and production in the country.

He’s a fluid athlete with a great frame, but he’s struggled at every stop with his FG%. He had the opportunity to win a ton of PT on a pretty bad team with no depth, and still couldn’t. Those are big red flags even with his high ceiling.

Now Enoch has to learn from a rookie HC who only got his job as the result of a massive scandal where one of the highest paid coaches in the game got fired. Rough situation for a kid who really needs to be coached up.
Pitino in his heyday made Billy Donovan into an NBA player, so its certainly possible he could have unlocked Enoch's potential and a good bet that he would have gotten more out of him than UConn did. But alas, often life is about timing and as said above even talent has to work hard to succeed.
UConn missed opportunities to develop kids, has seemingly learned from that & all signs point to a re-dedication to building a program/team. We don't know if this is the case with Enoch so I bet on UConn over him.

Reaction Score
Steve Enoch will be as good as he wants and not as good as anyone will teach him. Also I am unsure of his intelligence of the game which would also keep him from being who he believes he is. Obviously a kid who thinks he's as good as Steve though and his dad thought, would've learned that defense would keep him on the floor right? Then why was he so awful on that end never understanding help defense? I mean a year of prep and 2 years go college hoops one needs to learn the art and understanding of that part of the game, and he learned nothing. Maybe maturity finally assists him in being a decent defender or maybe harder work ethic and becoming more coachable, who knows? But again, much like Amida and Kentan the lack of understanding the game keeps you steps away from becoming what everyone hopes you will be eventually.

Ollie, Pitino, Mikan - not sure anyone can make him more than a decent back up.

Reaction Score
Steve Enoch will be as good as he wants and not as good as anyone will teach him. Also I am unsure of his intelligence of the game which would also keep him from being who he believes he is. Obviously a kid who thinks he's as good as Steve though and his dad thought, would've learned that defense would keep him on the floor right? Then why was he so awful on that end never understanding help defense? I mean a year of prep and 2 years go college hoops one needs to learn the art and understanding of that part of the game, and he learned nothing. Maybe maturity finally assists him in being a decent defender or maybe harder work ethic and becoming more coachable, who knows? But again, much like Amida and Kentan the lack of understanding the game keeps you steps away from becoming what everyone hopes you will be eventually.

Ollie, Pitino, Mikan - not sure anyone can make him more than a decent back up.

I don't know if he will ever be a good defensive player. If you don't have quicks, you need to anticipate to play defense. He doesn't (can't?) show either.

Reaction Score
I don't know if he will ever be a good defensive player. If you don't have quicks, you need to anticipate to play defense. He doesn't (can't?) show either.

Agree add to that while he showed offensive potential he didn't move the needle all that much from freshman to soph year. I mean he'd make a great move to power his way in and get his shot blocked by a 6'7 kid, he needs to find a ball fake that works as well as explosion to get up strong. Seems to stay on his feet when trying to score on the low block.

Listen after his freshman year I expected improvement and with his size would've liked to have seen 15-20 minutes a game. But there wasn't much more there and that's on him. If you need to get quicker feet you work on that all summer, if you need to get explosive rising to score you work on that all summer. Kids come back better are kids who want to be and put the time in. I know everyone always blames the coaches but my guess is he was given a summer outline to work with, and didn't read it all that much. Only as good as you want to be and shame on him for not dong his homework and trying to make it look like it was the coaches. I honestly could care less about what he does at Louisville and hope they get the death penalty. How'd that work out for you?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree add to that while he showed offensive potential he didn't move the needle all that much from freshman to soph year. I mean he'd make a great move to power his way in and get his shot blocked by a 6'7 kid, he needs to find a ball fake that works as well as explosion to get up strong. Seems to stay on his feet when trying to score on the low block.

Listen after his freshman year I expected improvement and with his size would've liked to have seen 15-20 minutes a game. But there wasn't much more there and that's on him. If you need to get quicker feet you work on that all summer, if you need to get explosive rising to score you work on that all summer. Kids come back better are kids who want to be and put the time in. I know everyone always blames the coaches but my guess is he was given a summer outline to work with, and didn't read it all that much. Only as good as you want to be and shame on him for not dong his homework and trying to make it look like it was the coaches. I honestly could care less about what he does at Louisville and hope they get the death penalty. How'd that work out for you?

People here are overrating his offense by a lot.

And I know why.

We watched Brimah for 4 years!!

We don't seem to know what good offensive play from the C is anymore.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He either didn't have a clue on defense or he was just too slow laterally or maybe a combination of both.

It always seemed to me he had to think to react on defense, and by the time he'd processed the opponent's move and decided what to do, it was too late to actually do it.

Offensively, there's just no excuse for a guy with his size, bulk and strength to blow as many layups as he did. He had good hands as far as catching the ball, but so many of his misses looked like he lost control of the ball going up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom