SCOTUS NCAA ruling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SCOTUS NCAA ruling

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's the colleges cut?
Currently? 100%. Maybe the colleges "help build the brand" some, but all of these players were recruited. That means they all had established brands already to some extent.

Reaction Score
Currently? 100%. Maybe the colleges "help build the brand" some, but all of these players were recruited. That means they all had established brands already to some extent.
Some do, some don't. LeBron was a branded star. But was James Bouknight who he is without UConn? Best example recently is Zion Williamson at Duke.

My big thing is if you bought a James Bouknight UConn shirt last year both UConn and Bouknight should get some split. Even if there is no name on it, we know who that is.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The big issue here comes with players making money off the college brand. Do the colleges make money off the players? Yes. Now it might go reverse. Colleges help athletes build the brand. What's the colleges cut?
I think the bright line is no use of logo or gear. The athlete will have to have a brand independent of "the laundry."
1624398277513.png

This is an interesting point. Should schools only sell jerseys with numbers that aren't currently being used?

Reaction Score
Some do, some don't. LeBron was a branded star. But was James Bouknight who he is without UConn? Best example recently is Zion Williamson at Duke.

My big thing is if you bought a James Bouknight UConn shirt last year both UConn and Bouknight should get some split. Even if there is no name on it, we know who that is.

yeah there’s enough money to go around.

bouknight can benefit from his name being sold on a jersey and UConn can benefit. Win-win.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, if the schools start paying players a direct salary, if that’s a line you as fan can’t cross, than fine. I’ll still watch, but I will get it if that turns you off to college sports.

But all this other stuff? Endorsements, licensing etc. I really don’t think it’s going to impact the sports or the fan experience anywhere near the extent that people think it may

Reaction Score
Justice Kavanaugh mentioned UConn in his concurrance attached to the decision..."packed gyms....at Storrs"

Reaction Score
Blow it all up. Don't offer athletic scholarships at all and if an athlete chooses to play a sport and makes a name for himself, then let he or she cash in on it if they can. And . . . if a QB or RB cash in, do they need to pay out fees to their OL?

Reaction Score
Blow it all up. Don't offer athletic scholarships at all and if an athlete chooses to play a sport and makes a name for himself, then let he or she cash in on it if they can. And . . . if a QB or RB cash in, do they need to pay out fees to their OL?

This is a total sane and rational response yes, you clearly have a solid head on your shoulders with a well formed brain inside

Reaction Score
yeah there’s enough money to go around.

bouknight can benefit from his name being sold on a jersey and UConn can benefit. Win-win.
What about his teammates? Maybe Bouk is getting to many shots and keeping someone else from cashing in.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agreed. Coaches should also be professors. All games should be on free, broadcast tv, no ads in stadiums, no commercials on tv, tickets 5 cents
lol

Reaction Score
What about his teammates? Maybe Bouk is getting to many shots and keeping someone else from cashing in.

How does it work in high school when a player gets a scholarship offer? What about his teammates that helped him get there?

Reaction Score
I wonder if NIL reform can make up some of the potential shortfall?

FWIW, I wonder if this decision plus the NIL is effectively the death knell of the NCAA.
Yeah, I wonder that too. The NCAA can still administer D-3 but I rather doubt much else.

Reaction Score
The CFB business model will most likely work only for the top two thirds of the P5 and a few other schools. Increasing costs for other schools will only hasten the demise of a lot of programs in FBS that do not find themselves in the first group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom