SCOTUS NCAA ruling | The Boneyard

SCOTUS NCAA ruling

Reaction Score
If I were the NCAA, or the P5 actually, the worrisome part of this would be the application of anti-trust law to college athletics.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If it significantly increases the costs it is probably the final nail in UConn FB coffin. MBB and WBB should be ok.
Simply not true.

Where do you think the 85+ kids on a UConn football scholarship are going to go? Is Bowling Green, Tulane, App St or Fresno suddenly about to hand out big sums of cash? For the vast majority of kids all this means is that they can get some minor easy cash w/o compliance concerns. Basically the stuff that has been happening in the dark can become public.

If we settle in a place where kids are free to earn whatever than can in the market place and the government still views the athletes as volunteers, then I dont think much changes other than the fact that the big programs with the big money are now going to steer money away from lazy rivers to other financial rewards that more directly benefit individuals.

However, should we end up in a place where student athletes HAVE to be paid and HAVE to be treated as employees then yes I see college sports rapidly unwinding everywhere as the complications of true employee status far exceed the benefits to the school.

There is a middle ground. Let the kids do whatever they can to earn money on their name /likeness. Let the schools continue to treat the athletes as volunteers with gifts (education) and not as employees.

Reaction Score
Simply not true.

Where do you think the 85+ kids on a UConn football scholarship are going to go? Is Bowling Green, Tulane, App St or Fresno suddenly about to hand out big sums of cash? For the vast majority of kids all this means is that they can get some minor easy cash w/o compliance concerns. Basically the stuff that has been happening in the dark can become public.

If we settle in a place where kids are free to earn whatever than can in the market place and the government still views the athletes as volunteers, then I dont think much changes other than the fact that the big programs with the big money are now going to steer money away from lazy rivers to other financial rewards that more directly benefit individuals.

However, should we end up in a place where student athletes HAVE to be paid and HAVE to be treated as employees then yes I see college sports rapidly unwinding everywhere as the complications of true employee status far exceed the benefits to the school.

There is a middle ground. Let the kids do whatever they can to earn money on their name /likeness. Let the schools continue to treat the athletes as volunteers with gifts (education) and not as employees.

Hope you are correct but have my doubts. If UConn is content with a marginal FB program it may be ok. I just don't think that any school trying to field a competitive FB team will be able to keep costs from soaring.

Reaction Score
To be blunt, athletes deserve to get compensation. Schools aren’t “paying” for an athlete’s education, they are simply giving the kid a seat in a classroom. Colleges love to make it seem like they are giving their athletes all the academics at a huge cost, the reality is the cost accumulated from giving these kids free classes is minimal and nothing compared to the amount of money the kids bring in for the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Schools aren’t “paying” for an athlete’s education, they are simply giving the kid a seat in a classroom. Colleges love to make it seem like they are giving their athletes all the academics at a huge cost, the reality is the cost accumulated from giving these kids free classes is minimal and nothing compared to the amount of money the kids bring in for the athletic department.
It actually is quite expensive to run a football program and it does cost money to give the athletes their education which incudes free room/board, food. In reality each athlete is a double major with their sport being one major and their academic pursuit being a second major. Coaches if they are any good are in fact teachers. Most football programs operate at a loss including UCONN's.

Reaction Score
Hope you are correct but have my doubts. If UConn is content with a marginal FB program it may be ok. I just don't think that any school trying to field a competitive FB team will be able to keep costs from soaring.
Way too early to go jumping off that ledge. What this will likely do is set up the elite 25 or so programs for separation from the rest, including the rest of the P5. I think we are pretty well-positioned from a resources and name recognition standpoint to maintain current programs. You won't see a collapse of D1 FBS, but as usual, the rich will get richer.

Reaction Score
Granted that the schools, coaches etc. do quite well but I don't understand the "players are cheated narrative". Most athletic scholarships go to young people who would not get into the school for which they play any other way. While there they are treated much better than the average student with tons of academic and other support. They go into the programs freely knowing the terms. Finally for those who are good enough they are given training for a job at some pro level that can be very rewarding.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To be blunt, athletes deserve to get compensation. Schools aren’t “paying” for an athlete’s education, they are simply giving the kid a seat in a classroom. Colleges love to make it seem like they are giving their athletes all the academics at a huge cost, the reality is the cost accumulated from giving these kids free classes is minimal and nothing compared to the amount of money the kids bring in for the athletic department.

Well the next era will be a demonstration program in real time on this very subject. I don't think the football programs outside of the P5 have any substantive coin to share. The programs are super tight financially and any extra gets steered into supporting the non revenue sports and the coaching salaries.

But soon we wont need to debate it...we'll live it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Granted that the schools, coaches etc. do quite well but I don't understand the "players are cheated narrative". Most athletic scholarships go to young people who would not get into the school for which they play any other way. While there they are treated much better than the average student with tons of academic and other support. They go into the programs freely knowing the terms. Finally for those who are good enough they are given training for a job at some pro level that can be very rewarding.
Totally agree.

And so as this unfolds in the years ahead its hard not to see how the number of scholarships doesn't narrow reducing opportunity.

Reaction Score
If it significantly increases the costs it is probably the final nail in UConn FB coffin. MBB and WBB should be ok.
My immediate reaction too. But let's see what happens. I am a little more concerned about hockey, but being in HE helps immensely. The ironic thing is that market forces are going to start determining earnings and this may have an effect on Title 9, in some cases diminishing its effect.

Reaction Score
My immediate reaction too. But let's see what happens. I am a little more concerned about hockey, but being in HE helps immensely. The ironic thing is that market forces are going to start determining earnings and this may have an effect on Title 9, in some cases diminishing its effect.

Not an equal rights attorney but I don't think Title 9 in any way recognizes the amount of revenue or 'earnings' a sport may generate. It is a standard that says that spending must be not show gender bias. Read somewhere that FB had a special carve out but don't know if that is still, or ever was, the case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Schools aren’t “paying” for an athlete’s education, they are simply giving the kid a seat in a classroom.
Is it okay if account it for it that way because that would help the AD budget considerably.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if NIL reform can make up some of the potential shortfall?

FWIW, I wonder if this decision plus the NIL is effectively the death knell of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Simply not true.

It has been a strange transition to not being allowed to earn any other money, that’s for sure. Just a simple example but I was with a guy who played in the Cape Cod league in the 1980s. He was saying that part of the reason it was so popular in his time was that they also guaranteed guys a job during the day and baseball at night. He worked at a hotel in Falmouth. Back in the dark ages, at UConn we had an All American track athlete who worked in the snack bar with me and a forward on the basketball team. Really for decades and decades athletes had campus jobs and got summer jobs with local companies because they were athletes. Heck, another track All American we had got a summer job with the Hartford that was arranged by our coach with a former track athlete who was a Hartford VP.

Reaction Score
Seems reasonable that educational related perquisites should be allowable. Not ok with paying college players. Go pro to get paid.

Reaction Score
On taxing the scholarships, or the they have to pay taxes now crowd, that is such a reach. Certainly on income that is from name image and likeness would require taxes be paid like normal.

But scholarship? I don’t see the logic.

Reaction Score
Matt Brown’s Extra Point view:

Reaction Score
Seems reasonable that educational related perquisites should be allowable. Not ok with paying college players. Go pro to get paid.
I think this is more about the NCAA banning players from using their names and likeness to make money while in college. I think it was UCF where a player quit playing football because the NCAA said he couldn't make money from a youtube channel he made. I may be wrong, but I don't think this is about paying the players and more about players being able to make money for themselves using things like youtube, twitch, etc...

Reaction Score
I think this is more about the NCAA banning players from using their names and likeness to make money while in college. I think it was UCF where a player quit playing football because the NCAA said he couldn't make money from a youtube channel he made. I may be wrong, but I don't think this is about paying the players and more about players being able to make money for themselves using things like youtube, twitch, etc...
The big issue here comes with players making money off the college brand. Do the colleges make money off the players? Yes. Now it might go reverse. Colleges help athletes build the brand. What's the colleges cut?

Reaction Score
Simply not true.

Mostly agree, but fear "student athletes" will be paid so handsomely by the P5 with big TV contracts that the sport will see even more of a concentration of the best players at the same few schools.

Of course, I can also argue the other side and say the businesses that support lesser schools can start anteing up big NIL money and build the rosters at places that never had a chance against UA, Clemson, etc.

We'll know in five years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mostly agree, but fear "student athletes" will be paid so handsomely by the P5 with big TV contracts that the sport will see even more of a concentration of the best players at the same few schools.

And in football that hasn't already been happening for the past 10+ years????

This is going to narrow the big sports for sure (can small BB programs hold on to any talent in the years ahead?), but in the end it is balanced by the same issue - a finite number of opportunities to get on the field.

But where this will really hurt is watching G5 kids have bust out years and then immediately transfer up for more money. However this would also cause one more P5 recruit to slide down to make room.

It will take time, but a lot of kids will transfer up and then not play and that will serve has somewhat of a counter balance....maybe. Because you can't get drafted if you don't get on the field.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom