Score Predictions: vs Baylor and Sims scoring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Score Predictions: vs Baylor and Sims scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Baylor has only 1 loss this year, but they've only played one ranked team. They lost to Kentucky in triple OT. However, Kentucky has been shown to be a pretty average team after getting smacked around by Florida and South Carolina.

UCONN 78
Baylor 50

Simms with 25 - but mainly because she will launch about 40 shots.

UCONN has no one that can "match up" with Simms. I'm sure Geno will try many different combos on her. I actually can see Hartley, Banks, and Chong sharing duties guarding her. Maybe even Jefferson who I think is probably quicker than Simms.

But after that, the only consistent scoring threat for Baylor is Nina Davis. She's a forward. And only 5'11". Good luck trying to match up with Stewie. Sune Abuke - she's 6'4" and averages about 7 PPG. Good luck trying to match up with Stef. Niya Johnson? 5'8" guard? Good luck on Bria or Moriah... Mackenzie Robertson - Their other guard at 5'9" - good luck trying to stop KML...

Baylor has Simms and that's about it. . Prince has only played 4 games this year and in those 4 games is averaging 6 PPG. Even if she's available, will she suddenly find her shooting touch against UCONN?

I think Duke is a much better team than Baylor and UCONN demolished them by 22. I have a hard time seeing how Baylor can keep this game to under a 30 point loss. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about this game. I was way more "worried" about Duke (and that's not saying much as I was pretty confident we'd beat them) than I am about Baylor.

No offense to ETT, but I never thought Baylor was a top 10 team this year. I put them about the same level as PSU and think they are a solid top 15-20 team...
Nan hasn't posted my game preview yet, but I did not read your post first....lol. I said much of what you just did.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nan hasn't posted my game preview yet, but I did not read your post first....lol. I said much of what you just did.
LOL sorry about that - did not mean to steal your thunder. I'm sure your analysis will be more in depth. But I was looking at all the 10-15 point predictions and was like "huh"? Someone even predicted a 7 point win? Maybe if we were playing ND. I just don't see anyone else in the nation who comes within 10 of UCONN - except maybe ND, and even then, I'd be predicting a 15 point win.

Baylor to me is a bit like Stanford - one fantastical player (Simms/Ogwumike), and a bunch of mostly role players (excepting Orrange and Davis). It would be like UCONN having Stewie on the court along with Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks and Saniya Chong. Those other 4 are good and certainly deserving of playing on an elite Div 1 basketball team, but right now, they are really just solid role players (and I don't mean that as a criticism of them - they just aren't super stars).

But UCONN has Dolson and Hartley and KML and Jefferson. Holy smokes - there's not a team out there (possibly ever) with the amalgamation of talent we have. And they think Baylor will keep the score to under 15? Maybe I'm smokin something blue and funny, but I just don't see it...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
LOL sorry about that - did not mean to steal your thunder. I'm sure your analysis will be more in depth. But I was looking at all the 10-15 point predictions and was like "huh"? Someone even predicted a 7 point win? Maybe if we were playing ND. I just don't see anyone else in the nation who comes within 10 of UCONN - except maybe ND, and even then, I'd be predicting a 15 point win.

Baylor to me is a bit like Stanford - one fantastical player (Simms/Ogwumike), and a bunch of mostly role players (excepting Orrange and Davis). It would be like UCONN having Stewie on the court along with Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks and Saniya Chong. Those other 4 are good and certainly deserving of playing on an elite Div 1 basketball team, but right now, they are really just solid role players (and I don't mean that as a criticism of them - they just aren't super stars).

But UCONN has Dolson and Hartley and KML and Jefferson. Holy smokes - there's not a team out there (possibly ever) with the amalgamation of talent we have. And they think Baylor will keep the score to under 15? Maybe I'm smokin something blue and funny, but I just don't see it...

I'm glad that DaddyChoc didn't start this tread. He would be upset that there is more than score predictions in the prediction thread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I will be happy if Baylor keeps the margin under 20, but I don't think they can. UCONN will win by 25 - 30.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
UConn 75-56. Sims with a hard-earned 25 after jacking up about about 30 shots.

Can't believe that even though we lead the country in scoring defense some people think Sims and Baylor are going to light it up against us.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Baylor has only 1 loss this year, but they've only played one ranked team. They lost to Kentucky in triple OT. However, Kentucky has been shown to be a pretty average team after getting smacked around by Florida and South Carolina.

UCONN 78
Baylor 50

Simms with 25 - but mainly because she will launch about 40 shots.

UCONN has no one that can "match up" with Simms. I'm sure Geno will try many different combos on her. I actually can see Hartley, Banks, and Chong sharing duties guarding her. Maybe even Jefferson who I think is probably quicker than Simms.

But after that, the only consistent scoring threat for Baylor is Nina Davis. She's a forward. And only 5'11". Good luck trying to match up with Stewie. Sune Abuke - she's 6'4" and averages about 7 PPG. Good luck trying to match up with Stef. Niya Johnson? 5'8" guard? Good luck on Bria or Moriah... Mackenzie Robertson - Their other guard at 5'9" - good luck trying to stop KML...

Baylor has Simms and that's about it. . Prince has only played 4 games this year and in those 4 games is averaging 6 PPG. Even if she's available, will she suddenly find her shooting touch against UCONN?

I think Duke is a much better team than Baylor and UCONN demolished them by 22. I have a hard time seeing how Baylor can keep this game to under a 30 point loss. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about this game. I was way more "worried" about Duke (and that's not saying much as I was pretty confident we'd beat them) than I am about Baylor.

No offense to ETT, but I never thought Baylor was a top 10 team this year. I put them about the same level as PSU and think they are a solid top 15-20 team...

Prince had foot surgery Friday, is out for year, seeking red shirt status for her. I think a lot of our free floating anxiety over this game has to do with the big media coverage of Sims ... lost in the haze is the cupcakes they are playing. Sims is a great player, but she is getting a very high number of attempts because Baylor has limited options.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In her three career games vs UConn, Odyssey Sims has scored:

17 points (11/16/10)
23 points (12/18/11)
9 points (2/18/13)

And that's with UConn expending a lot of effort on Brittany Griner. This time it's Odyssey in the Huskies' sights. She's a great player but she's going to have to do a lot - score, defend, and run the offense against a harassing defense. Not seeing 30 points from her tomorrow but I've been wrong before.

Reaction Score
EL Z: gotta get a chuckle out of that one, espec if you visualize the gold leatherette shrapnel (and espec if you are not a PCer)
What a nifty follow up to EAST's post. A tip of the hat.

Reaction Score
UConn 78-62 Baylor.

We methodically build a 12 point lead at halftime (40-28) and carry the momentum into the second half.

Sims gets 25, but most of those come in garbage time, with the outcome already decided mid-way through the second half and UConn up by 20.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

17 points (11/16/10)
23 points (12/18/11)
9 points (2/18/13)

And that's with UConn expending a lot of effort on Brittany Griner. This time it's Odyssey in the Huskies' sights. She's a great player but she's going to have to do a lot - score, defend, and run the offense against a harassing defense. Not seeing 30 points from her tomorrow but I've been wrong before.

Irrelevant numbers. Sims averaged 12 points last year and 31 this year. She has never been the primary scoring option until this year.

Johnson typically runs the offense from th PG position.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But this year she has yet to play against anything like a tough defense. It will be interesting. I think that MoJet and Bria and BB will give her fits. Not to mention the Terrible Trio of inside blockers. (Or Ferocious Foursome if Morgan plays.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
82 - 58 Sims gets into foul trouble and scores 18
Now there's a prediction I like! :)

If she gets in foul trouble, they have no chance and lose by 40. To keep the game from getting out of hand, Kim would need to play her even if she's in foul trouble. My concern is a performance for the ages in which she fouls out several Huskies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Comments on my prediction:

I'm not sure why I'm worried, but the officiating bothers me. Plus, I think that Sims is really good, maybe even close to Taurasi good.

Each year, I typically predict a record of 39-0 or 38-1, so I'm usually very optimistic.

Normally, no one player goes off against us, because of our coaching, strategy, and players. I have faith in those, but not the refs.

I want to be wrong and have our defense take Sims out of the game like Kelly did to Chelsea Gray et al. last year. I'd love to see 90-50. If things go our way, that is certainly possible.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Comments on my prediction:

I'm not sure why I'm worried, but the officiating bothers me. Plus, I think that Sims is really good, maybe even close to Taurasi good.

Each year, I typically predict a record of 39-0 or 38-1, so I'm usually very optimistic.

Normally, no one player goes off against us, because of our coaching, strategy, and players. I have faith in those, but not the refs.

I want to be wrong and have our defense take Sims out of the game like Kelly did to Chelsea Gray et al. last year. I'd love to see 90-50. If things go our way, that is certainly possible.
I don't know why you are worried either.

Please don't ever use Sims and Taurasi in the same sentence. One makes everyone around her better. One doesn't.

Sims can score 40 and Uconn will still win. Comfortably.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

17 points (11/16/10)
23 points (12/18/11)
9 points (2/18/13)

no....I like it

Reaction Score
UConn 77
Baylor 59
Sims 29
I put Baylor on Maryland's level and expect about the same margin

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Sims has guaranteed that it won't be a blowout and said that they had something special in store for UConn. She plays with a high degree of ferocity, so UConn 80- Baylor 64, OS with 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom